Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 63 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #931
1983 CJ7 

I misunderstood, I thought you were pushing the seal in

Unread 11-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #932
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A trick I used was to run a small piece of twin or string along the bottom of the seal from hinge to hinge, and when you fold the windshield up almost in place you start pulling the sting out (similar to when installing the windshield to get the gasket over the frame) and the string will pull that lip out so it looks correct from end to end. Great build by the way
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #933
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Roll Bar In Place

The main cowl seal is dry and so the windshield is ready to be folded back into place. I got some friends who stopped by to help me get the roll bar into the Jeep. This should help me line up the windshield angle, I'll also use the doors.

Time to bolt that sucker in and finish off the windshield. It is definitely starting to look like a Jeep again.
Coiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #934
brian613
1977 CJ5 

Man that looks sweet. I can't wait to get my tub back from my buddy's shop where its getting bed lined so I can start putting it back together. You've come a long way on yours and the hard work has paid off in a beautiful jeep

project roadkill
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #935
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thank you for your comments. It is coming together just as planned, although maybe a little behind schedule. You should post a thread about your liner. I think my main body sealing post was probably mostly overlooked. I did five major steps and slammed them all into one post, I should have split it out into several.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #936
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Mike, that roll bar looks awesome! It's really starting to get exciting!! Love the black stripe, too!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #937
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Coming together beautifully! Everytime I look as builds close to completion, two things happen. 1) jealous and 2) I start thinking how cool some of the various mods are and plan on adding them to my build.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #938
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

looks amazing man. keeps looking better and better each day
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #939
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike I hope you don't mind but I may copy your roll cage.

If you haven't yet you ought to give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. I really do enjoy seeing it come together.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #940
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know what you guys are thinking... that thing looks hideous!!!!! OK, maybe I'm just a little jealous!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #941
twildt
1978 CJ5 

Coiz i find myself going back thru your build all the time, great work, good references, dam glad i am a supporter now cuz you really need the advanced search features to find things in your 60 page thread!!!
Habitual MSC#2 in summer and MSC#4 in winter.
My CJ Rebuild - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tas-cj5-rebuild-1130279
My Youtube Channel - http://youtube.com/tawildt
Other Pics - http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k579/twildt/1978%20CJ-5/
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #942
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Steering Column

Thanks guys. You should see the stupid smile I get on my face every time I walk into the garage. I've got the next couple days off so I should have some Jeep time and will probably brew again.

I had thoughts of saving my original steering column but decided against it. This was originally for an automatic while I have a manual trans. It was also loose at the tilt section and I just didn't want to mess with it. I figured this was one thing I would just get a complete remanufactured unit and call it a day.

So I bought a reman unit off eBay with a two year warranty. The third one was a keeper.

I took the intermediate steering shaft and greased the upper joint. There is a small hole right in the middle for a needle grease gun. Out with the old, in with the new.

I worked it around back and forth then hit it with the grease gun again. I did this a couple times until I felt satisfied it was full of mostly new grease.

The intermediate shaft looks good at the main coupling. You can see a little shot of grease coming out of the hole where you fill it.

Plenty of room at the brake, steering and coolant lines.

Here is one from the bottom to show how much room there is for the steering shaft. I took it without a flash because it was clearer. You should be able to make out the coupling between the upper and lower intermediate shafts. It had to be extended 1 1/4" to compensate for my 1" body lift.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #943
benullman
1981 CJ7 

mike, have you gotten rid of the old cloumn? I would LOVE to have a tilt column but im to cheap to get a new one. How much would you like for it?

I figured ill spend the time to rebuild it and make it for a manual.

Ben
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #944
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Thanks guys. You should see the stupid smile I get on my face every time I walk into the garage. I've got the next couple days off so I should have some Jeep time and will probably brew again.

I had thoughts of saving my original steering column but decided against it. This was originally for an automatic while I have a manual trans. It was also loose at the tilt section and I just didn't want to mess with it. I figured this was one thing I would just get a complete remanufactured unit and call it a day.

So I bought a reman unit off eBay with a two year warranty. The third one was a keeper.

I took the intermediate steering shaft and greased the upper joint. There is a small hole right in the middle for a needle grease gun. Out with the old, in with the new.

I worked it around back and forth then hit it with the grease gun again. I did this a couple times until I felt satisfied it was full of mostly new grease.

The intermediate shaft looks good at the main coupling.

Plenty of room at the brake, steering and coolant lines.

Here is one from the bottom to show how much room there is for the steering shaft. I took it without a flash because it was clearer. You should be able to make out the coupling between the upper and lower intermediate shafts. It had to be extended 1 1/4" to compensate for my 1" body lift.
Very nice! I was wondering how to grease up my old CJ7 intermediate shaft. Now I know! Looks great!
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #945
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
mike, have you gotten rid of the old cloumn? I would LOVE to have a tilt column but im to cheap to get a new one. How much would you like for it?

I figured ill spend the time to rebuild it and make it for a manual.

Ben
Hey Ben,
In the process of receiving and sending back two different columns, I started getting frustrated and decided to tear that one down. The first two columns he sent me would not stay locked in the down tilt position while mine never had that problem. I disassembled my column to see if I might want to swap my good parts to my "new column" just to be done with it. He wasn't willing to give me a discount for my troubles so he shipped me a third column. This third one appears to be fine although the turn signal is just a little laggy when activating it to the right.

I had my column disassembled to the point where I could tighten the loose tilt mechanism then stopped. The lock cylinder needed to be replaced because you always had to jiggle it around to make sure it would lock after pulling the key out. The turn signal and ignition switch I was going to keep as a spare although I don't really need them. So most of it is now in pieces in a box which might be ok if your wanting to clean and paint everything but you also probably need to be somewhat familiar with these columns to get it back together. So knowing all of that, if your still interested in it, shoot me a PM and we'll see if we can work something out.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.