Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 61 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #901
markey006
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^ agreed, following this build along with daves 83 cj7 build has been a great learning experience for me. very interesting stuff. thanks for all the photos/details and good luck down the home stretch, the jeep looks top notch.

markey006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #902
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #903
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done i wanna see it done
Someone needs to lay off the caffeine

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!

Last edited by XJAbuzer; 11-24-2010 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Added a quote
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #904
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

It's looking great and I can't wait to see it finished and to see some vids of you running the heck out of it!
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #905
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

I go back and reference your body work and I'm amazed at how well it looks. I just hope mine turns out so well.

On wiring connectors and grounds exposed to moisture, crud, salts, have you considered coating them in RTV? On fighters, just about every wire outside the aircraft, we cover the connection with RTV to seal out any moisture. I can tell you it works extremely well. I've removed relay panels out of wheelwells that have been installed for years, and after pulling off the RTV, the connectors were bright and shiny. The few that get missed usually corrode fairly quickly. I do the same thing on my boat and have no where near the electrical corossion problems some others have.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #906
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard of RTV working nicely. We personally use this stuff that was specially designed for outdoor connection by 3M I believe. The nice thing is that it can be applied right over ground bolts without messing up the ability to turn them back out, and it is easy to apply. The bad thing is that it is an ugly brown color.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #907
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I have heard of RTV working nicely. We personally use this stuff that was specially designed for outdoor connection by 3M I believe. The nice thing is that it can be applied right over ground bolts without messing up the ability to turn them back out, and it is easy to apply. The bad thing is that it is an ugly brown color.
I think the RTV designed for outdoors has a UV protector. I had to use it on my camper seams and you're right, it sure was ugly. Should have mentioned to just use the standard or marine grade RTV, and for Coiz's build, white and black would be perfect.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #908
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for all the comments guys. I probably will go back and add some sort of protective coating to the exposed connections and on the points where I had to strip paint off for my ground connections.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #909
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike I have no doubt you'll wrap this entire project up the right way!! That seems to be a way of life for you.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #910
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Air Cleaner Mod

I originally had a snub cone K&N filter on the 5.0L because it was the cheap and easy thing to do at the time of the original engine swap. Having been in my business for the last 15 years and seeing a lot of different tests in regards to K&N filters compared to OEM originals, I wanted to get rid of the K&N and go back to an OEM dry filter. I don't want to get into a K&N debate, they have their place but I have decided filtering the air for my 5.0L is not one of them. So I went to the local salvage yard and hunted around for a possible replacement. I ended up with an air filter housing from a 1992 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe. This air box is used for both the 3.8L and the 5.0L engines.

They had two of these air boxes and one of them happened to have a K&N filter in it. So I took the one with the K&N figuring I could eBay it to recoup some costs. I bought the air box and charcoal canister pictured above for $5-10. The used K&N is averaging ~$30 on eBay completed listings, not a bad investment. This box already has the perfect mounting holes for the MAF sensor.

I mounted the MAF sensor and attached it to the throttle body to see where the box was naturally going to rest on the fender. I took off the lower section and trimmed it to fit the contour of the inner fender. Next I bought a section of 1/8" thick plumbers tape and cut and bent the leg mounts to attach it to the fender. Of course I painted the feet with POR/Blackcote.

Here it is with the feet installed. Three was enough to hold it solid.

So here is the inner fenderwell ready for the air filter housing.

When I painted the feet I actually went back and touched up any bare metal where I had to drill holes to mount stuff. Call me anal, OCD or whatever, I just don't want it to rust.

Here it is securely mounted to the fender. Three grade 8's should be enough to hold it.

Here is my OEM Motorcraft filter.

There should be zero intake restriction and the inner fender will act as a splash guard to keep it dry.

So the engine compartment is mostly finished. I just need to secure a couple harnesses and get the grill support rods tightened down once I get the hood on and make sure everything lines up.

For reference, here is what it looked like before.
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #911
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Pretty inexpensive filter setup. Looks like it ought to work great. I don't know though Mike if grade 8 is enough on the bolts though.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #912
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Oh yeah... this thing looked like crap once upon a time! I forgot!! It's a showroom beauty now!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #913
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Mike, I really really love that air filter idea. Especially the MAF mounting in a somewhat stock location. I doubt I can fit something similar to mine, it's going to be tight no matter what

I think I could probably mount mine to the driver side fender like yours, but that may end up being covered with relays and fuses.

If you've got any ideas feel free to shoot them my way I'd love to avoid a K&N for probably the same reasons as you.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #914
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys. My air box solution was a nice, quick and easy installation. It was actually easier than expected.

Andy,
I responded to your question in your build thread.
Unread 11-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #915
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Dash Installation

Since I got the windshield frame mounted I could now get the dash installed before installing and sealing the cowl seal. Here it is laid out and mostly assembled.

I did some minor rerouting of some wires and put it into place. I decided to install the dash using the black phosphate coated body bolts. I painted the original dash bolts white but the paint chips off the second you try to tighten them. Since these were manufactured black, no painting or touch up required. I also put a small seam of sealer all the way around the edge of the dash to help keep any water away that might try to run down the back side if it makes it past the cowl seal.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.