Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 59 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #871
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you're an audiophile, I'm baffled as to why you'd go with MP3's over something lossless like .ALC or .FLAC, or heck a plain old PCM .WAV file if you're ripping from CD's. Sure they are bigger, but with the size of hard drives these days, you can still fit a few hours of music onto a 32G thumb drive without all that jitter, aliasing errors, and lossy compression. My $0.02

Anyway, the Jeep looks amazing, your work ethic and attention to detail has inspired me to spend the time and avoid cutting corners on my build. Excited to see the final product!

alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #872
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Alex why I do agree with you .ALC and .FLAC is much better, hell even .WAV is a ton better than MP3's. He is not in a vehicle that you can sound proof. A song approx 3 mins long in those lossless file types could be 30-40MB, while the same MP3 only take up 3MB.

MP3 is just fine for listening in a Jeep.
Unread 11-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #873
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Take it from an audophile. V0 or 320 for mp3. Yes, it makes a difference even in a Jeep. .flac is nice, but not much will play it, and .wav is just a waste. .wav is uncompressed where .flac is lossless, but it is compressed. Playing 128 or even 192 can actually be bad for your hearing and bad for your speakers.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #874
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

How do you figure, I don't think he is going for an audiophile system in the Jeep. His exhaust is loud and it's a JEEP. I really think he cares more about space than the best sound possible or he wouldn't have went with BOSS subs.
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #875
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

He might be worried about space, but the difference between 128 and V0 is so insignificant that it is worth it to his ears and speakers to get that.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #876
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

It's a pointless argument. Millions of people listen to MP3's and aren't going deff because of it, and tons of people play MP3's through their car speakers and they survive. Now if he was using audiophile equipment then that would be different.
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #877
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very valid point that it's in a CJ with a 5.0 haha! Not to mention that most car audio products are very inferior when it comes to sound quality (although there is some good stuff amidst the chaff).

I just absolutely hate MP3 quality, so I try to avoid it when I can.

Playing 128 or 192 MP3's is not bad for your speakers OR your hearing. I don't know where you're getting this information from. Unless you are referring to digital clipping at extremely high SPL's, which is entirely different.

Hearing damage is caused by exposure to high SPL levels. Not by compression of a digital audio file.

Anyhow, getting off topic here.
alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #878
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
Very valid point that it's in a CJ with a 5.0 haha! Not to mention that most car audio products are very inferior when it comes to sound quality (although there is some good stuff amidst the chaff).

I just absolutely hate MP3 quality, so I try to avoid it when I can.

Playing 128 or 192 MP3's is not bad for your speakers OR your hearing. I don't know where you're getting this information from. Unless you are referring to digital clipping at extremely high SPL's, which is entirely different.

Hearing damage is caused by exposure to high SPL levels. Not by compression of a digital audio file.

Anyhow, getting off topic here.
Thanks Alex, agree this is off topic. More about the build
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #879
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Wow, if I knew my audio setup was going to cause such a stir I would have started another thread.

I've been listening to my MP3's in high end vehicles for the past several years and think they sound fine. You can barely notice a difference between them and the Satellite Radio. They make the most sense, for me, to use for my music storage. We're talking about a vehicle that will be used on a limited basis, prone to weather and wear with no top most of the time and also prone to theft. This is one thing I felt I didn't need to spend an excessive amount of money on. As long as I can hear it at 60 mph with the top off, I'll be happy.

My original system from back in the college days around 1996 was an Alpine deck, Alpine 4ch 100W amp powering Alpine 5.25" mid components in the dash and Alpine 3-way 6x9's in boxes under the front seats pointing towards the back of your legs. I then had a 2ch 60W Hi-Comp amp running the two 10" kickers behind the seats. That amp got water damaged so I threw it out. I got most of that stuff on the cheap from my brother and friend. This setup was plenty loud enough for the CJ and I didn't even have to max out the gain on the amps. You could hear it no problem on the highway with no top on and it sounded pretty good too. I am reusing the Alpine 4ch amp and everything else has been replaced with a comparable or better product.

You've already seen my old head unit compared to the new one.

Here is a comparison of the Alpine speakers I pulled out and the new Rockford Fosgate 5.25" front speakers. Here is the back side.

Here is a picture of the fronts. I also have the 1" tweeter for these which I never had with the Alpine's. These should be decent and cost me under $100.

For the rear speakers I am either going with 6.5" components or 6x9's but I need to get my roll bar in before I decide what I'm buying and where I am going to mount them. The Kickers worked good but they were nothing special. The Boss subs have larger magnets and seemed to bump pretty good when I tested them in my living room, they sounded better than the fifteen year old Kickers.

Those of you who cringed at my cheap subs are going to punch your computer when you see what amp I bought for them. Like I said, I had a Hi-Comp 2ch 60W amp for the subs so I bumped that up to 1400W. I don't know how they get away with that advertising when it states 700Wx2 on the box but the sticker on the back of the amp says 80Wx2 RMS. Either way, I knew that when I bought it and should be an upgrade from the 30W per channel I had going to the subs before. I mainly got it due to it's small size and small price.

So my stereo cost:
Head unit: $153
Alpine amp- reused
Pyle Chopper Amp: $60
Rockford Fosgate fronts: $99
6.5" or 6x9 rear speakers: ~$99
Dual Boss 10" subs: $38 x 2 = $76
RCA cables, antenna: $25
-----------------------------
Grand total: $512

I could have easily spent $2000 on stereo equipment but didn't see that as the wisest investment for the CJ. Like I said, it was plenty loud before and sounded fine. I am not worried about this setup in the CJ, it fits my purpose exactly.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #880
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike,

stereo/shmereo, the best sound coming out of your CJ will be from under the hood anyway...

Mike
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #881
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Detailing the last of the wiring

I wanted to show a couple small details I finished off on the wiring. I have a dedicated ground going to the oil pressure and volt gauge.

Here is another dedicated ground for the dash panel and the speedometer housing.

Here are wires for the cooling fan switch on the dash.

Here they are all finished up. This is what gives me on/off/auto for my cooling fans.

Another thing that needed a ground was the headlight switch. When you turn the knob all the way until it clicks to turn on the interior lights, it is turning on the lights by grounding them through the switches body. In my case there was no ground to the switch because of all the paint. Rather than scraping off fresh paint, I decided to run a ground wire.

Cleaned up an area and drilled a hole.

I decided to just rivet the wire to the housing. It's holding it tight.

That gets grounded at the post on my parking brake mount.
Unread 11-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #882
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Pretty slick looking wiring job Mike. Those ground wires will save you allot of frustration down the road. Hey what's your reasons for being able to control your electric fans through the switch?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #883
83vert
1982 CJ7 

That old Alpine head unit sure does bring back memories. High school, those were the days. Nice job on the wiring.
Unread 11-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #884
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Nice solder and heat shrink job. That's exactly how I would have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Unread 11-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #885
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey what's your reasons for being able to control your electric fans through the switch?
The main reason for the switch is so I can turn them off when treading water or any other time I don't want them to run. Most of the time I will just leave it on auto so the fans will be controlled by the thermistor input. Lastly, if for some reason I ever need to override the thermal input, I can manually turn them on.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.