Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #856
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Windshield Hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I'd go with no-seize on the windshield hinge bolt threads and clear auto caulking, too.
This is what I ended up doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow85cj View Post
Seems like the factory sprayed a bunch of seam sealer on the inside to seal the holes. (same with the hinge bolts)
You're right about them using sealer from the factory, they weren't shy either.

I made a trip to ACE and picked up some different o-rings and sealers.

The o-rings looked like they might have worked but when not compressed they raise the hinge off the frame enough to where the bolt holes don't line up with the threads. On a flat piece it would be fine but with the 90* bend it is just too far off. I didn't want to go using a bolt stuffed in there at an angle and start turning and prying to see if I could get it to thread straight and suck down the o-rings, so I went to plan B with the sealer which actually recommends it gets applied to painted surfaces. Here you can see everything I used. Rubbing alcohol to clean the hinge and frame, anti-seize for the bolt threads and the clear sealant for the hinge.

Apply some sealer to the hinge making sure to surround the bolt holes.

Stick it in place and bolt it down with some anti-seize on the bolt threads.

A picture of the other side. You can see the silicone coming out around the bolt head so there should be no issues with water getting in that way.

I smoothed out the excess with my finger then followed up with a damp paper towel.

I am going to wait to seal the cowl seal until I get it mounted on the CJ. I guess I am going to just go ahead and seal around the actual windshield seal since I already have the sealant. I guess I'll do that now so it can cure while I'm working on other things.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #857
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Trick for straight lines and a little less clean up around your parts.

Put the part in place, make a line with a pencil around it. Remove the part and run a piece of tape on the line or a little outside the line.

Tape the top part edge as well.

When you put the seal on, and attach the part, run finger around to smooth it out. Let it set up a little then pull the tape. Nice clean straight lines and the tape just goes in the trash. No trying to get excess off, it went with the tape.
Unread 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #858
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Looks like your hinges are going on great Mike. That ought to seal out the water. Hey you are putting this back together like you want to still be able to drive it when you're old and gray!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #859
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Mike... looks real good! Are you planning to detail the cowl seal install? I hope so...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #860
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I'll do my best on the cowl seal. I have never done one before but I think I have a solid plan of attack. I'm basically going to attach the seal to the bottom of the windshield frame and let it completely cure. While that is curing I will install the dash and I think I am going to seal around the edges of the dash too. The next day I'll fold the windshield up and seal it to the tub.

I had to get the wiper motor installed so I could get the wires ran through the tub and under the cowl seal. I had originally installed the wiper motor cover with rivets but by the time I was done moving it around when apply sealer they were already loose so I just pulled it back off.

Notice the dedicated ground wire to the motor body mount.

Here is the frame installed with the cowl seal laying in place. I installed the lower hinges the same way as the top ones, anti-seize on the bolts and silicone on the hinge.

I've got at least one thing I am going to have to deal with. Notice the fairly consistent gap between the bottom of the frame and the tub, you want that there.

On the driver's side it hangs a little low in one area, that will have to be pounded up so there is at least a small gap. Good thing that entire area is hidden by the seal.

It definitely makes the entire CJ seem bigger!
Unread 11-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #861
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I was looking through the pictures Mike and if all goes well you'll be driving that with the top off this spring. It sure is coming together great!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #862
chuckt62

never mind/
chuckt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #863
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good.

Are you going to hit the wheels with a fresh coat of paint also?

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #864
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

It's looking great!
Unread 11-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #865
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Coiz, Im looking for a little info on your corvette seats. Someone in peoria has a set out of a 1985 for a $100. Are they good seats for a cj7. The reason I ask is because of the part of the seat that would be under the thigh part of your leg. Looks like they might point your knee at a upward angle, making if harder to push the clutch in. Im 5'9"

Thank, Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #866
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Coiz, Im looking for a little info on your corvette seats. Someone in peoria has a set out of a 1985 for a $100. Are they good seats for a cj7. The reason I ask is because of the part of the seat that would be under the thigh part of your leg. Looks like they might point your knee at a upward angle, making if harder to push the clutch in. Im 5'9"

Thank, Bill
Hi Bill,
Yes the seats do kind of point your legs into an upward direction. It felt a little odd at first and I am 6'0". It gets your knees a little closer to the wheel so a tilt wheel is recommended. You might have to modify the front seat mounts to lower it or possibly shim up the rear if you like sitting high. What color are they? Black? Want to trade for brown?

If you do get them, those should have the little latch release for the back on the lower outer corner of the seat. I swapped the seats side to side so those releases were pointing toward each other on the inside of the seats. They had a tendency to catch on shorts and shirts when getting in and out when they were facing the outside. Otherwise, I think I had to drill one hole per seat frame and they bolted right in.

Unread 11-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #867
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAbuzer View Post
Looking good.

Are you going to hit the wheels with a fresh coat of paint also?
Yes, I am going to strip or sand blast them and either give them the standard POR treatment or possibly powder coat them. I might even consider buying some new wheels, I've been eying a couple styles recently.
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #868
1983 CJ7 

The CJ is coming together great! I hope you never have to remove the hinges from the frame
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #869
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Here is the address for the seats .Seats for Corvette , They look grey to me.

BTW, your jeep looks and sounds awesome.

bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #870
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Bill,
The seats in that link are for the seat cushions only, they are missing the main seat frame. Unless you already have a set of Corvette seat frames those would not do you any good. Those would work for me but I really want black leather and will either look into getting mine dyed or probably just use seat covers. You gave me another thing to Craigslist on a weekly basis though.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.