Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #811
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike
Nice job of painting the hangers and thanks for the kind words and great explanation of what they do. Also that's a great picture that shows what can happen to the factory hangers.

Thanks for all you do here for us CJ owners.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #812
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Alpine Music Storage Device

Check out this find. I picked up a 120GB WD USB2 external hard drive for $19.99 with free shipping from Newegg.

I've already loaded on my 28 Gig worth of music, that's 8,102 songs recorded at 192kbs. I might have to reorganize the folder structure to make the Alpine happy but that shouldn't be too difficult. With this I can control the music through the Alpine deck but I can also still control my Zune in the center console if I want to. Best of both worlds and great for only $20.

With how small it is I'm thinking about securing it to the top of the glove box. I could even put it right on top of the Alpine. Out of sight out of mind.

I've finally got my volt gauge fixed so the dash is ready to go in once I get my speaker and stereo wires sorted out. I would like to get the windshield installed before I install the dash because it is so much easier to get to the lower hinge nuts. A couple friends are stopping by later so I hope to rope them into helping me install the windshield into the frame.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #813
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Check out this find. I picked up a 120GB WD USB2 external hard drive for $19.99 with free shipping from Newegg.

I've already loaded on my 28 Gig worth of music, that's 8,102 songs recorded at 192kbs. I might have to reorganize the folder structure to make the Alpine happy but that shouldn't be too difficult. With this I can control the music through the Alpine deck but I can also still control my Zune in the center console if I want to. Best of both worlds and great for only $20.

With how small it is I'm thinking about securing it to the top of the glove box. I could even put it right on top of the Alpine. Out of sight out of mind.

I've finally got my volt gauge fixed so the dash is ready to go in once I get my speaker and stereo wires sorted out. I would like to get the windshield installed before I install the dash because it is so much easier to get to the lower hinge nuts. A couple friends are stopping by later so I hope to rope them into helping me install the windshield into the frame.
Good buy. I just bought a terabyte notebooksized usb drive, got home with it only to learn it had a bad drive. It wouldn't be a problem but where I live out in the boonies it will take the better part of 2 hours to get back to Staples for a return. How do you think it will do with the vibrations? If it runs cool I may wrap the base in foam for protection.
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #814
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Mike... that's awesome! I had no idea that you could that stuff with music. Thanks for the education. I'm assuming that you downloaded 8000 songs?? How long did that take? Cool system.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #815
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I was shaking it around and tapping on the case pretty good while listening to music and it never quit playing. I know that doesn't replicate being in the Jeep but it is a good sign. I might insulate it with foam just to be safe.

Burning the 8k songs from CD's to the computer was done over several weeks. Copying the music files from my computer to this HD took about 55 minutes.
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #816
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I have a collection of audiophile car audio equipment. I'd love to have it in the CJ7 but weather is a big concern for me. I'd hate to ruin a $500 set of component speakers or a $1200 amp. I have a Clarion 3400A that is from 1991 and in 1991 it sold for $700. It's so rare that you can't even find info about them on the internet. I got it BNIB still sealed from a guy who didn't know what he had for $75..lol

Are you going to be running a hard top and security system?
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #817
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
I was shaking it around and tapping on the case pretty good while listening to music and it never quit playing. I know that doesn't replicate being in the Jeep but it is a good sign. I might insulate it with foam just to be safe.

Burning the 8k songs from CD's to the computer was done over several weeks. Copying the music files from my computer to this HD took about 55 minutes.
Ohhh don't shake it too hard or tap it. The drive is probably turning at 7200 rpm and the read/write heads are on a super small cushion of air. This is the primary reason, besides manufacturer's defects, for failure. That is why notebook drives fail more than destop drives- they just get handled too often.

You sure do have an awesome audio setup. I'm thinking my wife and I will go simple with a couple of speakers and a radio/stereo with a usb port for a stick or an ipod dock.

I run a 750 ip number network at our high school besides my regular teaching responsibilites and I'm amazed, still, by the number of student ipod touches I see connected to our network. Those are the creme de la chrem for pocket audio and cool accessories right now but they sure won't hold 120 gigs!
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #818
1983 CJ7 

Quote:

That is a good deal and Newegg is high on my list of online vendors for electronics. In my opinion, I think tapping on the case would be worse than the Jeep bouncing around. And I really like your color coordinated cable management system.
Unread 11-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #819
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

JeepsterJC is right. The drive is probably 7200rpm and they do not like being handled/moved around much. Might want to find something to dampen the vibration. If the drive does end up failing I would look into a solid state drive. Costs more but you would have no problems with vibration.
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #820
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

New plan. The 120 GB HD is turning into a Christmas present for the GF as a back up for her laptop. Good thing she never reads the forum.

I'm just going to run the Zune as planned and eventually get a 32GB solid state thumb drive for the Jeep after they drop below $30. Shouldn't be a problem since I won't really be driving it around until next spring.
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #821
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Keep an eye on newegg.com or frys.com thay put the thumb drives on sale alot of the time !
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #822
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Great job!!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #823
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
New plan. The 120 GB HD is turning into a Christmas present for the GF as a back up for her laptop. Good thing she never reads the forum.

I'm just going to run the Zune as planned and eventually get a 32GB solid state thumb drive for the Jeep after they drop below $30. Shouldn't be a problem since I won't really be driving it around until next spring.
Maybe a better plan. Sorry for the bumber cautionary note and raining on your parade.
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #824
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Maybe a better plan. Sorry for the bumber cautionary note and raining on your parade.
On a side note it sure was thougtful of you to go X-Mas shopping so early to get your girlfriend an awesome gift.
"He's so thoughtful!!! What an awesome guy!!"
Unread 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #825
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
On a side note it sure was thougtful of you to go X-Mas shopping so early to get your girlfriend an awesome gift.
"He's so thoughtful!!! What an awesome guy!!"
^^^ Oh Yeah, you know how to play it.

I had some friends help with installing the windshield into the frame. I had never done that before and can tell you that is was a lot of work. All three of us were sweating by the time we were done and it took almost an hour to do. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the process but we were more focused on getting it done and not letting the seal pop out of place.

We used the trimmer string method to get the lip of the seal over the run. A couple things we learned. Start pulling the seal over the lip in the center of the windshield, don't start in the corner. When pulling the trimmer string, you don't have to press on the outside of the windshield as hard as you think, it is actually pretty light. Once the seal is over the lip and you can lay the windshield frame flat on the floor, that's when the real fun begins. At that point we used a lot of glass cleaner as lubricant and my bondo scrapers to work around the outside of the seal and glass assembly to get it to fall into place.

Now I can install the frame onto the tub.

Once that's bolted on I can install the dash, roll bar, steering column and then a seat for a test drive. This thing will be going together fast but I still have a lot of things to do. I still need to install the stereo components, interior lighting, shackle hangers, front and rear bumpers, D300 twin sticks and fender flares. I also need to modify my winch mounting plate so I can install and wire the winch. I also need to fabricate my trans tunnel cover, center console and a few other small parts. The hood needs to get finished up and I still need to wet sand and buff the front fenders.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.