Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #781
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

Great build.... love your progress.

yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #782
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

Love it! Parking lot cammo!! Dude... that needs immediate sand blasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvos721 View Post
Reading this thread just took up the past three days at work and most of this Saturday. All my monthly reports were put on hold

First, great work on the Jeep man, from the frame all the way through to the paint job and the engine mod. Very rare the find an individual who has such diligence and to top it all off he is a Jeep owner, bloody awesome! I LOVE the white and black paint job it's absolutely beautiful. Here is my Jeep I purchased a few moths ago, it's black and white but not as awesome as yours and I think the previous owners used house paint:

I posted the 2nd pic in my first thread here and another user cleverly dubbed my Jeep's paint job as "parking lot camo" Your paint job is inspiring, awesome job.

I have recently been thinking of getting that same iDA-X303 for my Jeep, but I am unfamiliar with installing it. If you don't mind and if possible show pics of the installation..?
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #783
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Stupid question, I'm sure... but the green tint wasn't a protective coating that you should peel off first? Just asking...
You made me go back and look. I peeled the seal away from the edge of the glass and used a new razor blade cutting at an angle to see if something would cut or peel up, all glass. Jeff said his looks green too and I think the gray material behind it makes it look darker than it really is. When you hold it up and look through it, it is not nearly as noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Need a few Cobra emblems to match your valve covers. With the sound of your exhaust, no one will even question it
You mean a set like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
Excellent, entertaining progress has been made. Well done!

But seriously, Coiz, I bet you watch minimal television and are much happier for it......
There is no doubt that I watch a lot less TV now than I did a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal73 View Post
Sorry about the hijack,

The seal I received has more than one "groove" on one side. I have it part way installed with these extra "grooves" on the glass side.
My glass is green as well.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff,
I would say you got the wrong seal. Here is a picture of me holding the single groove for the actual glass open. You can see little ribs down inside the groove but there is only one main slit for the glass to sit in.

Here is a picture of the outside of the seal. My thumb is holding open the groove that will sit in the windshield frame channel run. The two small lips above my fingernail are not another deep groove just small lips which help to block the water from the outside. Hope that helps.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #784
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
You mean a set like this?

Jeff,
I would say you got the wrong seal. Here is a picture of me holding the single groove for the actual glass open. You can see little ribs down inside the groove but there is only one main slit for the glass to sit in.

Here is a picture of the outside of the seal. My thumb is holding open the groove that will sit in the windshield frame channel run. The two small lips above my fingernail are not another deep groove just small lips which help to block the water from the outside. Hope that helps.
Thanks Mike,
You really helped to clear that up. I was in contact with Morris today and they are going to check with the manufacturer.(I lost the bag the seal came in)

Watch out for that snake. It might bite you when you finish if you don't respect it!

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #785
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Those are pretty close but not quite the same. I can get those for $18 a pair. The true Shelby ones have a chrome background and not the white. They are just a little bit different and IMO, look a little nicer. I just found a place that says they have limited quantity of these but they want $125 a pair, no thanks.

I'll have to keep my eye on those as they are pretty close. One nice thing about emblems is that you can put them on at any time during the build.

I just found these that might work well with all of my black and white and they are only $18 a pair. I'm going to wait until after I get my pin-striping, fender flares and cobra emblems installed before I decide if I want to go with anything else.
My opinion is that you have done so much work and spent a bunch of money on your build why not spend a little extra money if you decide to put the Shelby emblems on it. If it were my Jeep, I would kick myself if I went with the substitute emblem. I agree that $125 is a lot for something that sticks to the body, but I bet they will look ten times better than the others that have been shown here.

Again, my two pennies! Build looks really good either way
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #786
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The Cobras are all you need. Anybody who knows anything will understand. Anybody else won't care. Don't overdo the "stckys"! My .02...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #787
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
The Cobras are all you need. Anybody who knows anything will understand. Anybody else won't care. Don't overdo the "stckys"! My .02...
Agreed. Although I think the "Powered By" badges would look good, I just don't think they are a necessary addition.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #788
corndogduff

You could get a set of those "powered by" emblems for free, all you need is to find a GT500 in a parking garage...
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #789
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice build....subscribed.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #790
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I don't want to overdue it with the emblems that's why I want to see what it looks like with all of my original plans in place before I decide to add anything else.

I got my spring shackle hangers cleaned with Marine Clean.

Then I soaked them in a bucket of Metal Ready for about 45 minutes.

They weren't quite submerged so I had to flip them over and let them sit another 45 minutes to make sure they were 100% covered in the Metal Ready.

Since I only have a few pieces to paint I will likely brush on the POR15 then also brush on the Blackcoat.
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #791
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

The hangers look good. I just welded some heavy plate hangers onto my old Jeep that I had sold a year ago or so. The new owner tore off a front hanger and most of the other front one, too... I sold it to a friend so I still get to visit it and work on it!

Aside from a Nice Scrambler logo on my hood, here is what i'm using for emblems:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ji...44/index8.html

I think some sort of other engine identifier would be nice, too, but i don't have Cobra induction and Frod Explorer logos would be WAY too lame.
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #792
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This thing is coming along great. I can't wait to see the finished product. Put me in for the total cost guess. I am willing to bet that it is higher than you expect. Took about 24 hours to read all of the posts, but that was reading on and off... I have things like food, sleep, class, HW, that needs to be taken care of too.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #793
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I think some sort of other engine identifier would be nice, too, but i don't have Cobra induction and Frod Explorer logos would be WAY too lame.
I'm not sure I'd be too keen on putting anything Toyota on my rig but it would go well with your hybrid themed build. You could always go with the standard 5.0 HO emblem for the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
This thing is coming along great. I can't wait to see the finished product. Put me in for the total cost guess. I am willing to bet that it is higher than you expect. Took about 24 hours to read all of the posts, but that was reading on and off... I have things like food, sleep, class, HW, that needs to be taken care of too.
Thanks for following along. Now that you're caught up it will be easier to follow.
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #794
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A classic V8 emblem would be pretty slick on the back tail gate:

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #795
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Maybe some kind of custom emblem Mike? I'd be a tough choice for me. I defiantely like the cobras.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.