Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 10-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #751
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Yes, it does have the USB from the back, which is what I wanted, and came with a 6.5' extension cord too.

Here is a picture with the face off.

The carrying case for it is pretty big.

That's a hoss to carry around.

Here you can see all of the rear connections with the USB on the left, the RCA goes into the CD changer port and was an adapter wire I had to buy for $10. From there I take the RCA to a 1/8" mini jack and run it like headphones from my Zune. Then you have the regular antenna on the right. The HD, Sat and other connections are on the board. What I really liked is that it has 6 pre-outs for Sub, Front and Rear.

This shows the USB extension cord as well as the iPod cable.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #752
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Very nice! I went with the Alpine CDA-105, mostly because the CD slot is hidden by the faceplate. However, I think I might like yours better! I never play CDs anyway...

Great build!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #753
corndogduff

I had that same H/U in my TJ. I hope you have a good alarm or never plan on parking this in public, my insurance paid for 3 of those because they are a hot item, even without the faceplate
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 04:38 AM   #754
1983 CJ7 

I like your choice, Alpine has been a leader for decades.

I ripped all my CD's to my hard drive a year or two back and I believe at 192kb/s. Will MP3's at this quality play clean on a high end stereo system?

I still buy CD's rather than MP3's and my intent was to put playlists on a DVD and have one or two good DVD's in the truck. I like the idea of doing the same with a USB memory stick but I have never listened to MP3's on a stereo of any type.
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #755
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Since the matter of age has been brought up. I remember back when it cost alomst as much as you paid for that unit and it wasn't near as good as what you got. Nice to see that electronics have increased in quality and not gone up in price a great deal.

Maybe I missed something Mike, but where are you going to mount it?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #756
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Jim if you look at post #671 the start of the motor he shows the dash that has a place for it
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #757
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
Jim if you look at post #671 the start of the motor he shows the dash that has a place for it
Thanks

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #758
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

I play mp3's on my DD's premium audio system with a flash drive and I cant tell a difference between that and a CD. In a jeep, the quality of the speakers and amplifier and external noise will be the limiting factor, not the audio origin (mp3, cd, 8track)
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #759
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
I play mp3's on my DD's premium audio system with a flash drive and I cant tell a difference between that and a CD. In a jeep, the quality of the speakers and amplifier and external noise will be the limiting factor, not the audio origin (mp3, cd, 8track)
I disagree, not on the sound quality itself, but the source. Have you ever listened to CD's while out wheeling? They skip every other second. Not a problem with the MP3.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #760
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
I disagree, not on the sound quality itself, but the source. Have you ever listened to CD's while out wheeling? They skip every other second. Not a problem with the MP3.
Nope I havent, my rig just has an iPod connected to a headphone jack plugged directly into an amplifier.... But I was also only referring to the actual sound quality when its driving down the road...

BTW...Been quietly following this build for the better part of a year and a half and must give my Kudos as well Coiz. You are doing phenomenal work and are an inspiration to me for whenever I get to work on my Scout 800 Frame Off...
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #761
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

I would rethink mounting it in the dash. CJ's all seem to leak water onto the radios. Mine have all had good metal, good seal etc and I still end up replacing radio's all the time.

What the heck is Audyssey ? lol that's the one that threw me for a loop.

I love my satalite radio but I drive 16 hours a day every day. And even at that if stern doesn't resign I'm turning it off
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #762
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
I had that same H/U in my TJ. I hope you have a good alarm or never plan on parking this in public, my insurance paid for 3 of those because they are a hot item, even without the faceplate
That sucks to hear. I'll be paranoid of someone stealing the entire Jeep, never mind the stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post

I ripped all my CD's to my hard drive a year or two back and I believe at 192kb/s. Will MP3's at this quality play clean on a high end stereo system?
You did good by ripping them at 192kb/s, that's one up from the standard 128. They will play excellent on high end stereos and as stated, they don't skip.

Quote:
In a jeep, the quality of the speakers and amplifier and external noise will be the limiting factor, not the audio origin (mp3, cd, 8track)
I agree you need to have it amped up if you want to hear it at 60 mph with no top on. I'll get to that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Quote:
Nope I havent, my rig just has an iPod connected to a headphone jack plugged directly into an amplifier.... But I was also only referring to the actual sound quality when its driving down the road...

BTW...Been quietly following this build for the better part of a year and a half and must give my Kudos as well Coiz. You are doing phenomenal work and are an inspiration to me for whenever I get to work on my Scout 800 Frame Off...
So I think we all agree that a MP3 sounds as good or better than a CD. It definitely has it's advantages for storage and non-skip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjAl View Post
I would rethink mounting it in the dash. CJ's all seem to leak water onto the radios. Mine have all had good metal, good seal etc and I still end up replacing radio's all the time.

What the heck is Audyssey ? lol that's the one that threw me for a loop.
Mine has never leaked and I doubt it will when I'm done.

Audyssey is a sound equalizing system I don't think I'll need in a topless CJ.
Unread 10-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #763
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Cjai Have you looked in to a waterproof houseing for your radio. There are diferent types that thay use in boats that will work
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #764
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I got the rest of the cables and connections in so I might pull a battery inside tonight and test this out in my living room. If you noticed I welded the hole closed for the stock FM antenna as I wanted it to look as clean as possible. I plan to try this short wire antenna strung out up under the dash and see how the reception is. As long as it is remotely decent I will just leave it. If the reception sucks I'll look into running an antenna to the rear and incorporating it into the same area/mount as my CB antenna.
Unread 10-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #765
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post

I still buy CD's rather than MP3's and my intent was to put playlists on a DVD and have one or two good DVD's in the truck. I like the idea of doing the same with a USB memory stick but I have never listened to MP3's on a stereo of any type.
192kb/s will play clean on a high end stereo. They say 320kb/s is CD quality but I've listened to both and really you can't tell a difference between the two. I think ripping at 320kb/s is not worth it because of the space it takes.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.