Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #616
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Good luck man. You MUST post the first start up on this forum.

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #617
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Is it crazy to be getting the engine started when I don't even have the dash installed?
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #618
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Is it crazy to be getting the engine started when I don't even have the dash installed?
That is not considered crazy Mike, not in the least bit. By all means we want to hear it run!!
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #619
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

not a bit. Now starting it up before it is installed may be slightly leaning twords crazy but i've done that too
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #620
cj7jeep
1985 CJ7 

mike when you're totally finished how many man hrs will you ahve in this whole project from day one? i'm betting over 1000
cj7jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #621
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Shoooot, I've been working on the body so long, I am ready to work on something else!!! I want to start my engine up and I don't have a tank, fuel lines run, nor do I have any brake lines run.... not to mention the body is nowhere near on the mounts!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #622
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Wow! Starting up. That's kind of depressing for me. It means you're getting close to J-Day! If there are any motor issues it will be much more accessible while the clip is off... so it's probably a good idea. Good luck.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #623
83vert
1982 CJ7 

great thread
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #624
oucheecrash
2009 JK Wrangler 

This is the hottest jeep that I have ever seen. I cant wait to see the finished product as do you. I also cant wait to see what your reciepts are going to add up too. Are you sure that you really want to know.
Good job little brother. I wish I had the skills that you have. I am only talented enough to get myself into trouble.
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #625
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone.

I have no idea how many man hours I have invested but I wouldn't doubt that somewhere around a 1000 is too far off. As far as adding up the receipts, I mainly want to do it so I know the actual value when it comes time to get insurance. Not to mention everybody asks the proverbial question "How much does it cost?". I'm not sure if I'll tell them or give the standard, "Too Much".

I've finally got the correct radiator hoses so the grill is mounted and hooked up. I've also got the wiring mostly worked out so I may try to fire it tomorrow or Thursday. I'll try to post some of the wiring work to give you an idea of where it sits now.
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #626
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone.

I have no idea how many man hours I have invested but I wouldn't doubt that somewhere around a 1000 is too far off. As far as adding up the receipts, I mainly want to do it so I know the actual value when it comes time to get insurance. Not to mention everybody asks the proverbial question "How much does it cost?". I'm not sure if I'll tell them or give the standard, "Too Much".

I've finally got the correct radiator hoses so the grill is mounted and hooked up. I've also got the wiring mostly worked out so I may try to fire it tomorrow or Thursday. I'll try to post some of the wiring work to give you an idea of where it sits now.
You take into consideration and for the amount of work you've put into this 1000 hours has showed allot of progress.

Hey not to sound impatient buddy but we really want to see and hear this thing run. But we'll wait if we have to.
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #627
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

I was driving to work today, and I remembered I only made it to page 38 on your thread! I actually got excited to get online to finish it...Just an absolute fantastic job..

SUBSCRIBED!!!!

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #628
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

More Wiring

Alright guys, lets see if I can get caught up. As you all know I have been heavy into the wiring. I believe the last picture you guys saw I was somewhere around here. Notice the normal bolt on the upper right battery tray arm going into the firewall.

I decided to turn that into a grounding post for the body and battery. I cleaned up the threads with a tap and scraped off the paint around the hole on the inside and ran a carriage bolt to the outside. I used double nuts to pull the bolt tight then secured the battery tray with a nut.

The two grounds you see there are the main body to battery and two 10 gauge leading to my lights and fans. I add a main frame, blower motor and amplifier grounds there later.

Here is where I have most of the main wiring junction taken care of. Notice I have my fuel pump inertia switch mounted near the top left corner of the battery. The solid red off the battery terminal looping to the tire is to my starter solenoid. The bundle of colored wires leading to the ground is for all the components in the front.

At that point I had to get the fender installed to see how the rest of the wiring would be ran. I've got the fender on with two bolts in the back and one in the front. I'm not sure if I'll want to take it back off to add the convoluted tubing over the harness. Here you see from left to right, the inertia switch, starter relay feed, BJB feed (200A fused) and the main CJ body feed (120A fused).

Another picture with the covers on. Notice I spaced the relay box above the battery out from the firewall with aluminum shims, it makes it easier to get the lid on and off. It could be done before it just took a bit of work. Even just a couple washers would have worked.

Here is a general shot of the inner fender well. You can see where I intend to put the fan controller and the starter solenoid.

Here is the rough wiring down the fender to the grill. I wanted to keep the wiring outside of the grill to keep me from ever having to cut the harness if I ever had to take it back out.

Another angle from the drivers side. Notice the distributor is pulled and there is an old one in its' place.

I bought one for $20 from the local salvage yard. I mainly only wanted to use it as an oil primer for my engine and was only looking to give him $10. He said he normally gets $50 for them so I paid $20 on the expectation that it has a working spare TFI module. Those are never bad spares to have. I had to knock out the roll pin and get the cam gear off. That was a lot of work! Those cam gears are on there good.

The oil pump is driven off the end of the shaft so all I had to do was install the gearless distributor into the engine, hook a drill to the top and spin counter clockwise. You could hear the drill spin free for about 4 seconds then met resistance. I let it run for about a minute then stopped, you could hear the oil dripping back into the pan. This way I know the entire engine is pre-lubed before I try to start it in the next couple days.

I've done a few other odds and ends but this is a pretty good update for now. Here is how it sits tonight. Ignore the air cleaner, you aren't supposed to see that yet. I'll detail that later once I'm finished modifying it. Almost time to start loading fuses in the box to see what happens. I hope I don't let the smoke out.
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #629
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

WOW! Just a fantastic build.

Just read through the whole thread!
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #630
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike I sure wish you were my neighbor!! That is some excellent work. Not just to look at but also to have as valuable information when I get to that point. As always you make it all look easy and the end results look great!! Glad to see you getting this far along.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.