Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #601
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotparty View Post
I dont mean to jack the thread, but where did you find the RPM Gauge?

Everything looks beautiful
Thanks.

Morris4x4 has the one I bought. Of course I added the white face. Use forum9 in the promo code for 10% off.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #602
parrotparty
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Thanks.

Morris4x4 has the one I bought. Of course I added the white face. Use forum9 in the promo code for 10% off.

Did you cut that location in the dash?
parrotparty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #603
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotparty View Post
Did you cut that location in the dash?
I didn't only because I did not have the correct sized hole saw. I had the guys at the local Hotrod shop do it for me. We have been trading services back and forth lately which has been working out great for the both of us. They already had the bit and it took all of 45 seconds.
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #604
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Grill Assembly

I got most of the grill assembled. Here are all the parts laid out in the living room.

Got my 3 core radiator installed. I didn't realize there was that much surface rust on the fins until I saw the pictures with the flash. I should have washed it better and maybe added a coat of paint but I'm not really worried about it.

Same thing with my Contour cooling fans. I thought I had cleaned them better than that but I guess not. The flash really brings out the dirt. I'll get it cleaned up and touch up the rusty metal spots around the motors with some paint at some point in the near future.

Front side of grill with radiator installed. I was thinking of adding a screen to the front of the radiator to help with protection from rocks. I still might do that at some point but that can be a separate write up later.

Got all the headlight parts and bezels installed. I love the black headlight bezels. I'll have to admit that for some reason I thought the bezel covered up more of the opening when I was painting the parts. Seeing how much of the recessed opening is visible I would have taken more time to make sure my stripe lines in that area were cleaner and straighter. It's not too bad but I would have done better knowing what I know now. Too late to do anything about it now, live and learn.

The front marker lights were the last to go on. I made some modifications to those which I will detail in the next post. I'll have to pull the headlights back off when it comes time to wire them.

Last edited by Coiz; 10-13-2010 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #605
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Front Marker Lights

As you know, well at least if you don't you should, the front marker lights ground through their own case. This is normally done via the two mounting screws to the metal of the grill. Since mine has so many nice layers of paint I wasn't confident the two screws were going to get enough contact for a good ground and I wasn't keen on the idea of grinding off any of my shiny paint. So I decided to add a dedicated ground wire to both of the light housings. I took an old one and started making some practice welds to get the welder dialed in and to make sure the terminal end wasn't going to just melt off. So I welded on an old piece of scrap wire and terminal to make sure it was going to work alright.

The welding appeared to work well so I started with a small holed terminal and soldered it on to the wire.

Here I have one welded on and the other resting in place.

Here they are both welded on and I just need to add a piece of heat shrink to the one on the right.

Here is a picture of the front sides so you can see the penetration of the welds.

Here I've got my Fluke meters checking the resistance or Ohms between the wire and the light's case. The lower the better and theoretically 0 is perfect. I think this is close enough.

I touched up my reflective tape that got burned up by the welder.

Since the welder burned off the light zinc coating on the marker light housing I figured I needed to get some paint on them otherwise the welds would want to rust quicker.

I just used the first can of black Rustoleum I found on the shelf to add color and help keep the rust away. The ground wires will be tied into the headlight grounds.
Unread 10-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #606
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Looks good, Mike. I'm looking forward to the point where I can sit down and work on my Jeep. You sure have earned it!! You welded, or soldered, the ground to the housing??

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #607
hostileConCepts
1980 CJ7 

Should of just built your own frame and not put the time into trying to safe that peace of junk metal time is money and that is where you have to make a choice how much is your time worth
hostileConCepts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #608
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Humm, kind of an odd response considering I did the frame work well over two years ago. I'm not sure how building my own frame would have been faster than fixing the one I had. The rest of the frame was in solid shape and the repairs I made with the MORE frame reinforcements are considerably more robust than the stock setup. The body is the part that really consumed most of my time.
Unread 10-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #609
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

That's dedication. Not one, but two Multimeters in use at the same time.

Hope nothing happens to your photobucket account for a few years until I get my jeep built. I'd sure be disappointed if one day the dreaded "picture deleted" box shows up. You have a lot of great ideas I plan to use.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #610
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
That's dedication. Not one, but two Multimeters in use at the same time.

Hope nothing happens to your photobucket account for a few years until I get my jeep built. I'd sure be disappointed if one day the dreaded "picture deleted" box shows up. You have a lot of great ideas I plan to use.
not just to multimeters but two FLUKE'S
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #611
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

What? Doesn't everyone have a Fluke 77 to back up their 78?
Unread 10-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #612
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Coiz your time is well spent on the things you do. You do a high quality job on every thing that you work on as the jeep, garden,beer and those are just your hobbies. So those that think trying to safe that peace of junk metal does not know you..
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 02:55 AM   #613
fventura03

wow, that is some very amazing work you've done. i love how much into detail you go with everything... i just read through this whole thread, it's 5am. it was worth it! i can't wait to see the rest of your work! keep it up!
fventura03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #614
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike I didn't even know what FLUKE METER was till reading your post. But now that I do...

Great idea on the ground wires. Like Dave said, I'll be doing that too! The grille assembly looks great too. Looking forward to seeing it all together.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #615
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

95% of the wiring is done. I just need to work out a frame ground and wire the switch to my cooling fans. I might be able to start the engine today. Headed to the parts store to find some radiator hoses, coolant and 5 gallons of gasoline. Once I make sure everything is fine I will tape up the harnesses and add the convoluted tubing. I might have to pull out the video camera for this.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.