Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #586
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I love the dash... although it reminds me I need to do mine... PO shredded it!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #587
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Dang, now I have to add more things to my to-do build list; The Coiz dash project

Seriously, beautiful work and I pick up new idea everytime I open your build page.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #588
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Those gauges are way easier to see after you've changed them. They look great too. You must have kept an ongoing list over the years as you drove your CJ of things that needed to be improved. Great job on the pull knobs too.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #589
stevesemti
1974 CJ5 

Coiz and Besrk

Hi,
Just wanted to add my appreciation and encouragement to the list

I've been following this thread religiously for a few months and get excited whenever there are new posts. I really appreciate Coiz's writing and photography skills, and his commitment to this thread. Surely his thread-time is not an insignificant portion of this whole process...Thanks!

Having also read Besrk's bumper thread, I thought it was pretty awesome that a Ground Pounder bumper is going on this CJ. It just seems perfectly appropriate given the quality of workmanship performed by these two men.

Like Skerr, I was a little skeptical about the white face gauges. I really like the vintage ones, and I personally will not be trading mine out for a set of Auto-meters. However, the finished product here looks great!It's a nice twist that keeps the vintage look, while perfectly matching the rest of the CJ...nice work!

I would suggest that Coiz should do this professionally, but as was discussed about his paint work, none of us could afford to pay him what it would be worth for the level of detail and quality workmanship, keep on keeping on!

Thanks again,
Steve in Maine
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #590
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike,

Over the few years I have been on JeepForum, there have been a handful of build threads that are gospel. Yours is at the top of that list. What we should all do is to print out this thread in its entirety, along with others that have interest to us and bind them into a nice hardbound book that can sit in the garage and be used as reference over and over and over again. I could easily have:

Coiz (Mike), 243 (Dave), Skerr, Jeff Scherb, JeepHammer, HackFabrication & Fatman threads just to name a few...It must take forever to not only do the build but also document the process.

Thank you very much...

Mike
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #591
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments guys.

I had always wanted white faced gauges but wasn't very keen on the idea they would be mismatched in brand or style. By doing it this way I was able to keep the vintage CJ gauges but add to the retro look and style to match my build idea.

You're right that documenting and posting does take a significant amount of time but reading all of your responses and feedback makes it all worth it. The Word document I type my main posts into before posting them here is now on page 115 and I'm up to around 7,000 photos which comes to around 5.7GB of space on the hard drive. The sad thing is no matter how many photos you take, there is always something you miss. Little details here and there that cause me to search other builds to find answers or ideas.

I am hoping to post a few updates over the next couple of days. Stay tuned.
Coiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #592
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post

You're right that documenting and posting does take a significant amount of time but reading all of your responses and feedback makes it all worth it. The Word document I type my main posts into before posting them here is now on page 115 and I'm up to around 7,000 photos which comes to around 5.7GB of space on the hard drive. The sad thing is no matter how many photos you take, there is always something you miss. Little details here and there that cause me to search other builds to find answers or ideas.
I love photos... I have a ton, but I wish I would have thought to make a word document too... Oh well I guess I could start now...

Can't wait for more pics!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #593
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There will be no end to the praise this build deserves.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #594
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I might have to take you up on that some free weekend. Maybe even drive the CJ down in the spring. How long do you expect it to take until you are finished with your build?
I'm looking at sometime late spring 2011. The time is just moving along so quickly and so little is getting finished. Starting from scratch is taking me way more planning and time than my small YJ rebuild/engine swap. For me any way. I don't know about all of the different joint sizes for track bars, seat hardware, the differences between factory CJ tubs and aftermarket bodies, TJ suspension geometry, driveline possiblities, how the steering will work out... This is all new to me. Some guys would be so fast getting the job done but they know this stuff, have their favorite joint/bushings to choose from and already know where they're going better than me.

Maybe the date will be 2012, come to think of it. Just in time the end of the world! Your work is incentive for me to keep plugging away, though!
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #595
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Coiz,

You get my vote for CJ of the year...well...need to add that category....

Very Nice build.

SC
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #596
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Hey Coiz, how did you remove the bezel from your battery, oil pressure and tachometer gauges?

I've been trying to pry off my OEM bezel of the tach but cannot due to fear of breaking the glass as I want to clean behind it and touch up the faded fluorescent orange. Any tricks would be appreciated.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #597
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments guys and that CJ of the year sounds nice.

Do they take all of the CJ of the month winners and have a CJ of the year vote in January?

Kieth,
I just used a small screw driver from the back side of the bezel and slowly worked my way around prying outward until there was enough play to pop them off. There is no risk of breaking the glass that way or at least I never felt it was a risk. It doesn't look pretty and putting them back on was a bit of work. Once I got everything back together I placed the entire gauge face down on the carpet, pressed down pretty hard on the gauge to compress the rubber seal in there, then went around the bezel edge with a flat blade screw driver and pressed it back down little by little working around the edge. It's obviously not as nice as the factory crimp but once installed back into the dash, you can't even see that part anyway.

I can tell you that once you do get the bezel and glass off, you need to be really careful of the gauge needle. Especially if you are working on the original gauges. Maybe not so much on the tach but on the volt and oil pressure gauges that 30 year old plastic needle is extremely brittle. The one on my oil pressure gauge snapped off like a balsa toothpick when I touched it with a detailing paint brush. I actually fixed it with toothpicks and super glue but then decided to just buy two new gauges. The replacement gauges were just a little bit different than the factory style and none of the parts were interchangeable. I had to email Pedal-2D-Metal two years after I purchased the overlay set to see if I could get replacement stickers for the oil and volt gauges. They were nice enough to ship me the replacement stickers for free. That's top notch customer service in my book.
Unread 10-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #598
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yeah, I've been doing it the same way with a small screwdriver and been working on the factory tach for the past week or so, but it sure doesn't want to come off to easy. I even made a cylinder that fits over the tach body so when it comes time to put it back together, it will just fit to press the bezel edge back down. I guess I'll just keep working at it then.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #599
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I even made a cylinder that fits over the tach body so when it comes time to put it back together, it will just fit to press the bezel edge back down.
I was trying to figure out a good way to do that but never really came up with anything I liked or that seemed to work very well so I ended up using a screw driver. My tach was a RR replacement so it may be put together a little different. That one was difficult to get off but the easiest to put back together, go figure.
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #600
parrotparty
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I dont mean to jack the thread, but where did you find the RPM Gauge?

Everything looks beautiful
parrotparty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.