Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #46
Fletch8672
1975 CJ5 

Wow, looking at this motivates me to build a garage so I can have a place to do something like this to my CJ. I've got the time, all I need now is the money.... Looks awesome! Keep the pictures coming.

~Black Jeep Society~
Fletch8672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #47
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
LOL, maybe I should. Almost everything will either be white or black. I'm thinking about adding some louvers to the hood to help with any potential heat issues from the beefed up engine and everything being black.
Everyone knows all vehicles and vessels have females names, C'mon!

And as for the hood louvers, I would FOR SURE add those - especially with an eight cylinder. If you've got a machine shop connection, I'd have them directly cut into the hood because they look so much cleaner. But making/buying louver plates and adding them is okay too. Poison Spyder makes a panel where some of the (rear most) openings face the opposite way to force air into the engine compartment as well.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #48
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
R those grease-able front joints
Yes, they are the needle style that screws into one of the caps on the end. You can see it on the furthest most bottom cap in the last joint picture. I have been looking for some spare replacement ones to install into my front hubs per JeepHammer's thread for filling the cavity between the front wheel bearings. They sit pretty flush so I think they would work better than the standard Zerk fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black954 View Post
Nice build! I'm in the middle of the same exact thing on my CJ. As soon as I get enough posts, i'll start my build thread.
We have similar backgrounds, jeeps, roadracing, and in northern IL. Good luck with the rebuild and keep up with the great pics.
I don't ride on the street but if you ever do any track days send me a PM with when and where you ride. Maybe we can meet up at a track. I had a short lived racing career on a 2001 GSXR750 that ended with my move to IL but I did win 6 amateur championships before I had to give it up. I looooooooove riding! Here is the R6 I had for 5 years, painted it myself. Long story but I just sold the R6 and bought back my original GSXR race bike.

^^^ Turn 5 at Barber Motorsports Park

On bike at Road America on my 8 year old R6 chasing some friends on 750's. This is about a 2:51 lap time because I am filming. I can run in the low 2:40's without too much effort.
On bike at Road America with my R6 chasing some friends on 750's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch8672 View Post
Looks awesome! Keep the pictures coming.
Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
And as for the hood louvers, I would FOR SURE add those - especially with an eight cylinder. If you've got a machine shop connection, I'd have them directly cut into the hood because they look so much cleaner.
Good luck
That's what I'd really like to do, have them stamped directly into the hood. I plan on painting two black stripes down the hood and would like the louvers to be in the black sections near the back of the hood. I heard of a guy that does this in Chicago area they call "The Tin Man" but I can't find any contact information. Anyone know of a place that can stamp louvers in Northern IL?

Last edited by Coiz; 07-11-2010 at 12:25 AM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #49
black954
1978 CJ7 

I mainly do trackdays. My racing career started with 2 crashes in my first 2 races, so now i'm back to trackdays LOL. I ride the street too, but have had lots of problems with the law not agreeing with the way I ride, so i'm alot slower now. I just got a 2005 Ducati 999 and I have a 2005 GSXR1000 for the track/street. I'll definately let you know when I go to the track.
I haven't figured out the whole photobucket thing yet and i'm not too good on the computer either. I'll have enough posts in a week or two.
Anyways, good luck on the build and I don't really know any metal workers in N.IL.
black954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #50
Jmaas
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
So the side rails are fishplated on the inside and out but the bottom of the rail is only fishplated on the inside up to this point. I decided to install the M.O.R.E. rear frame reinforcement kit. It uses 3/16 plates that are precut to fit the outer sides of the frame rails. A plate goes along the bottom and extends quite a bit further than my repair panels so it should reinforce it nicely. I cleaned up the frame rails and shot a couple coats of primer on the plates and the frame rail making sure to clean anywhere that was going to be welded.

All finished with new rear cross member:

Thinking about doing the same thing with the frame supports. Why didn't you weld the entire length instead of trying to seal it with paint?
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640992[/url]\
[url]http://maas.smugmug.com/Cars/668997[/url]
Jmaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #51
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaas View Post
Thinking about doing the same thing with the frame supports. Why didn't you weld the entire length instead of trying to seal it with paint?
I was told by the people at MORE Performance to stitch weld it with 1" weld 1" not. I figured it had something to do with heat stress on the rail. They are the ones who produce and sell the kit so I figured I would follow their suggestion. I will be filling that entire line with body seam sealer before it is all said and done.
Unread 02-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #52
vikingxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The knowledge. I wish I had it. Once I'm done with college, I am going to save up to buy a good CJ to work on and all. Looks like a lot of fun. Maybe I'll get an MB or one from the 40s. Good work. Can't wait to see more progress!

Soon: 3.5" RE Lift, 31" BFG MTs

[QUOTE=FML]Today, I saw a friend in the street but he didn't see me, so as a joke I decided to ring him. He took his mobile out of his pocket, sighed and didn't pick up. FML[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=NEVERSWEAT]I march right back into the laundry room open up her wash machine and grab the prettiest panties I could immediately find to sniff the crouch out of.
Who should walk through the door as I am wearing these damn things like a gas mask but her.. [/QUOTE]
vikingxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #53
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I would love to have a CJ-2A or a CJ8. I've got some updates coming this weekend.

Last edited by Coiz; 02-07-2009 at 01:30 AM..
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #54
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Fuel Injection

So my Jeep had basically sat for 9 years and the fall before I started into this rebuild, I pulled the tank and drained the fuel. The gas looked exactly like iced tea with flakes floating around and it smelled a lot like turpentine. I drained the tank and flushed it out. I added some antifreeze and a few feet of linked chain inside of the tank. I shook it around so the chain links would scrub and clean the inside of the tank walls, which worked quite nicely. I replaced the sending unit and pick up sock then put in 5 gallons of fresh fuel. I drove it around the neighborhood a couple of times and let it run for a while. The Jeep always fired right up as I started it randomly over the next six months while the urge was building to work on it.

So I figured the fuel sitting in the lines and injectors all those years must have built up a nice tarnish. I pulled all the injectors from the old lower intake and got them ready to clean. After this picture I gave them a once over on the outsides with a wire brush and xylene.

I had access to a fuel injector cleaner one afternoon so I took them in to give them a good cleaning:

We didn't hook up the calibration injectors so I didn't calibrate the flow meter so the injectors would read in the correct color. I was more concerned with the cleaning but I did want to check their relative flows so I set the flow line on the first injector and compared the rest to that flow rate. Six of the injectors flowed exactly on the line, one was about 3% high and another was about 2% low. All in all the flow rate comparison was not too bad and well within acceptable limits. The spray patterns on the injectors all looked the same.

I started with 16 oz of injector cleaner. This stuff was crystal clear with maybe just a tint of green. You can see the color in the flow tube above. I purged each injector at 100% for 30 seconds then pulse fired them for another 2 minutes. I recycled the cleaner directly back to the supply tank:

By the time I was done the cleaner wasn't clear anymore. Goes to show just how much crap was cleaned out of the injectors.

Two of the injector pintle caps were cracked. I'm not sure if they were always like this or if they cracked while trying to get them out of the old intake. Some of them pulled right out while others took a bit of persuasion.

This is after I painted the injector bodies and getting ready to replace the o-rings and the two cracked caps.

I cleaned up the fuel rails, painted the fuel pressure regulator, IAT, ECT and fuel rail mounting bolts.

Good picture of the injectors, fuel rails and roller rockers. Crane Cams made the Cobra 1.72 roller rockers for Ford. You can see Crane and the Ford oval in the castings.

I also installed the front axles, spindles, brake backing plates, sway bar mounts, axle bump stops, steering gear box, steering lines and rods.

Next up is going to be the brake lines, fuel lines and maybe install the gas tank. I also need to take a look at my exhaust system because at this point I would like to reuse what I have. The Dana 300 clean and re-seal is also on the short list of things to do. I'll probably do something with that bell housing or at least the dust shield. I want to get a lot of this done before I start in on the body but I can really do it at any time as I go. The transfer case and a few of the other parts need a little paint so I am also waiting a bit on the weather. A few things need a little touch up paint after being installed but nothing major.
Unread 02-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #55
black954
1978 CJ7 

Nice work on the injectors. Everythings looking good. Are you using the original valve covers or do you have replacements? What's the specs on the motor?
Unread 02-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #56
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ 1992 5.0L Mustang GT bottom end with the forged pistons, GT40 heads with the Cobra Roller rockers, Cobra upper and lower intakes with shorty block hugger headers. It is basically a Cobra motor except for the cam, which only has a marginal lift and duration difference, which I don't really want because it is made for even more top end power that the Jeep just doesn't need. The Cobra's also came with 24# injectors while the GT's are 19#. The 19# injectors are good to 310 HP so I don't think they'll have a problem keeping up. I'm guesstimating this thing has around 275-285 HP. I do know it runs like a beast!

Once it's running I'll pull a few WOT runs while watching the 02 sensors to make sure they go rich and stay that way. I don't think I'll have a problem but if the engine leans out at WOT, I'll likely buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and bump up the pressure until it stays rich. If it only takes 5-10 psi, I'll just keep it that way. If it takes more than an extra 10 psi, I'll buy a set of 24# injectors and the MAF to go with them. It ran fine and stayed rich before the build and all I have done is add the upper and lower intakes so I really don't think there will be a problem, especially now that the injectors are clean. I've had to clean drool off of my new valve covers.

Unread 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #57
black954
1978 CJ7 

Sounds like a healthy small block and sure looks good. I built basically a GT40 motor for my buddies shelby cobra kit car and we used the same intake and valve covers as you. I hope you run flowmasters cause those built 5.0L motors sound great through them.
Unread 02-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #58
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Dual Flowmasters ran through 2.25" pipes. It does sound good!
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #59
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was curious, what kind of spray gun, and how was this system setup to spray the POR, it looks great, so does the rest of the build keep it up.
twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #60
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Post 14 explains it a little. I used a gravity feed HVLP gun at 32 psi with the POR thinned at 5% using the POR solvent. It took a little bit to get the gun settings correct. Standard compressor set up with water separator and air filter.

Specifically, I used a Harbor Freight HVLP on the thought I would likely throw away the gun when I was finished. I ended up being able to clean it fairly well without much effort so I didn't throw it out. I actually used it twice and plan to use it again. The current price shows it as $59 but I think I got it for $20 on sale. I should have bought two. Thanks for the comments.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.