I finally got around to painting my rear bumper. I kept putting it off but I finally had to buckle down and get it over with. Last weekend we had fairly nice weather for it although a bit on the cool side. Here is the bumper after having sit in my garage for the last four months.
This was after spending about thirty minutes with a wire wheel.
Here is the gas can mount.
The spare tire mount, Hi-Lift jack mount and the frame tie-ins. I asked Besrk for two sets of frame tie-ins and had to trim the gussets on the inward pair to clear the corner of my aftermarket 20 gallon gas tank. No big deal.
I had a bunch of other parts which I had previously bead blasted and primed and painted with rattle can spray paint. They generally looked good but I didn't like the way they chipped and scratched so easily. Chipped paint obviously will lead to rust so I took my wire wheel to a few more parts.
Here are most of the parts after being striped and cleaned with Marine Clean. I can't say enough about how great of a degreaser it is!
I started soaking the swing out portion with Metal Ready first.
Here are most of the parts after about 45 minutes worth of Metal Ready. Notice the catch buckets at the main drip points, I have all the small parts in there soaking plus I can reuse all the fluid caught in the bucket.
Here are the rest of the small parts ready to be rinsed off with water.
I was able to set them up on the saw horses pretty well. The swing out I just added a carriage bolt to the end so the entire thing would be suspended for paint.
On the main bumper, I actually stood it up flat and painted the bottom of the feet by hand with a nice coat of POR then waited about an hour before laying it flat and painting the rest of it.
It was somewhere about this point in the day when I realized my Coke can had a boat on it, seemed only fitting it needed a Captain. Just so happens there was one drink left in the bottle, must have been destiny.