Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #556
cjFitz
1978 CJ7 

Wow, simply wow!

cjFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #557
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for all the great feedback everybody! I really appreciate it.

I know this is not much to look at here is where I'm at with the wiring. Once I finish putting the grill back together I can get it mounted and install the fenders to finish off the wiring to the fans, headlights and alternator. The cover over the BJB is a generic one I found at the salvage yard which looks like it would work OK but I actually ordered the factory 2006 Escape Hybrid cover yesterday.

Today I plan to prep my rear bumper for POR tomorrow. I need to give it a once over with a wire wheel and get it cleaned then prepped with Metal Ready. I need to figure out a good way to hang it for paint, that thing is a beast.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #558
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

ma-o-man I stumbled across this thred lest night, when checking my own, around 8:00 pm. it is now 2:51 pm the next day, I've read the whole thing and checked out all the links for the products and other info and now can't wait to get my hands on my next jeep. I've done three very similar builds in the past, with as mutch detail and understand the work involved. Your the man. I can understand the almost stock look but I'm going to go off the deep end like I always do.

I had convinced myslf that I could find another cj in good shape and just leave it alone but now the old creative bug is awake and chewing on the brain, thanks. There goes my sleep, budjet, life, carreer and wife for the next 5 mounths. When I start every thing else gets put on hold. I don't have your patience, I can't walk away at all till it's done. 2.5 years is awe inspireing I'd be nuts by now.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #559
TehWicked

You still using the same spray gun for the POR? How much of that stuff have you used on this project so far and where do you get your supply of it?
TehWicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #560
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Looking forward to seeing all the wiring complete, as I'm sure you are too Mike. Also will be great to see the bumper painted. The bumpers Eddie makes sure are quality stuff. Hey could you rig something up for painting it by using the reciever hole? Just a thought.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #561
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
ma-o-man I stumbled across this thred lest night, when checking my own, around 8:00 pm. it is now 2:51 pm the next day, I've read the whole thing and checked out all the links for the products and other info and now can't wait to get my hands on my next jeep. I've done three very similar builds in the past, with as mutch detail and understand the work involved. Your the man. I can understand the almost stock look but I'm going to go off the deep end like I always do.

I had convinced myslf that I could find another cj in good shape and just leave it alone but now the old creative bug is awake and chewing on the brain, thanks. There goes my sleep, budjet, life, carreer and wife for the next 5 mounths. When I start every thing else gets put on hold. I don't have your patience, I can't walk away at all till it's done. 2.5 years is awe inspireing I'd be nuts by now.
Dang. Talk about going all in. I am also the type of person who typically can't leave things unfinished but you learn to take it step-by-step and day-by-day with a project of this magnitude. Especially when you end up doing 99% of the work by yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehWicked View Post
You still using the same spray gun for the POR? How much of that stuff have you used on this project so far and where do you get your supply of it?
I added that up for someone prior and want to say I have used 6 quarts of POR15 and 2 quarts of the Blackcote. Several times I bought it directly from POR and a couple times I picked it up from a semi-local paint distributor(POR told me who the local distributors were when I called them looking for some locally in a hurry).

I just used the cheap Harbor Freight gun for the POR. I am on my second gun because I messed up the tip of the needle while cleaning it. Otherwise I would still be on the same gun. I had bought two when I first started expecting them to be throw away and to have a spare gun for "just-in-case" something happened while in the middle of painting. That kind of happened yesterday while putting the final coat on the rear bumper, go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Looking forward to seeing all the wiring complete, as I'm sure you are too Mike. Also will be great to see the bumper painted. The bumpers Eddie makes sure are quality stuff. Hey could you rig something up for painting it by using the reciever hole? Just a thought.
The bumper is painted. That was a good idea on hanging it from the receiver Jim but ultimately wouldn't work for me. I wanted to paint these outside, away from the CJ, so had to use sawhorses with nothing to really hang them from. I'll post that up in a bit, I need to get out and mow the lawn before it gets too dark.
Unread 09-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #562
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

I always plan on taking my time it just never happens that way, did the full pan off resto. on the wifes bug in 2 mounths thought it would take a year, just couldn't stop. The only break in my fast and the furious mobile was waiting for mail order, took 3 mounths. did all the work myself on both. still very impressed with your build and patience.
Unread 09-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #563
pile_alcalineNJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

man i just skimmed/read most of this thread. the jeep is coming along really nice, cant wait to see it done. also the beer and peppers are looken nice! wouldnt mind some of that amaretto one.
Unread 09-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #564
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Rear Bumper

I finally got around to painting my rear bumper. I kept putting it off but I finally had to buckle down and get it over with. Last weekend we had fairly nice weather for it although a bit on the cool side. Here is the bumper after having sit in my garage for the last four months.

This was after spending about thirty minutes with a wire wheel.

Here is the gas can mount.

The spare tire mount, Hi-Lift jack mount and the frame tie-ins. I asked Besrk for two sets of frame tie-ins and had to trim the gussets on the inward pair to clear the corner of my aftermarket 20 gallon gas tank. No big deal.

I had a bunch of other parts which I had previously bead blasted and primed and painted with rattle can spray paint. They generally looked good but I didn't like the way they chipped and scratched so easily. Chipped paint obviously will lead to rust so I took my wire wheel to a few more parts.

Here are most of the parts after being striped and cleaned with Marine Clean. I can't say enough about how great of a degreaser it is!

I started soaking the swing out portion with Metal Ready first.

Here are most of the parts after about 45 minutes worth of Metal Ready. Notice the catch buckets at the main drip points, I have all the small parts in there soaking plus I can reuse all the fluid caught in the bucket.

Here are the rest of the small parts ready to be rinsed off with water.

I was able to set them up on the saw horses pretty well. The swing out I just added a carriage bolt to the end so the entire thing would be suspended for paint.

On the main bumper, I actually stood it up flat and painted the bottom of the feet by hand with a nice coat of POR then waited about an hour before laying it flat and painting the rest of it.

It was somewhere about this point in the day when I realized my Coke can had a boat on it, seemed only fitting it needed a Captain. Just so happens there was one drink left in the bottle, must have been destiny.
Unread 09-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #565
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Rear Bumper Painting

I loaded up the gun with POR thinned at 5% and sprayed at 32 psi. I started with the small parts. Here are the fender supports and some of the bumper accessory mounting hardware.

Here are the steering column mounts and the Hi-Lift jack holder.

Here are the frame tie-ins, Battery Junction Box mount and license plate holder.

Clutch rod and battery tray.

I am so glad I decided to do this for my battery tray. The durability of rattle can paint is a joke compared to POR.

I sprayed on two coats of POR15 then two coats of Blackcote about 60 minutes apart from each other. As I said earlier, I painted the bottom of the mount areas by hand and let it dry before painting the rest of the parts.

Another angle.

There's little bits of dirt here and there and the occasional bug that sticks when they land but for the most part it turned out pretty nice. I know it's not going to rust for a long time, at least it shouldn't. I also got the last U-straps painted so I can finally put in my front drive shaft.

Here is one last picture I took the next day.
Unread 09-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #566
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

looks awsome your hired
Unread 09-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #567
1983 CJ7 

Looks great Mike, will you be finished by Sunday
Unread 09-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #568
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You got allot painted and it all looks great. That bumper is really going to look nice. Nice touch Eddie adds in cutting the star in the gusset that braces the receiver on the tire carrier. Mike I think the people that make POR ought to pay you to use thier stuff, you've been great advertisement for them!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #569
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Each time I review your build, I think to myself a kick A$$ motor would so cool to have in a jeep . Hmmm, maybe it'll be one of my first upgrades after I finish mine. I bet the urge to Git-R-Done and drive it is overwhelming.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #570
mike76CJ5

1976 CJ5 

sorry if you already addressed this, but are you at all worried about the liner on the firewall holding up to engine compartment temps? what is it?
mike76CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.