Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #541
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome restore! Crawled!

gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #542
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

I feel like eating spaghetti now...
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #543
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

all those wires makes my head hurt! but, at least you confirmed for me that the minor re-wiring I have done on my Jeep was done like yours, nice job as usual!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #544
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

I've been lurking around this thread for a while, I've never posted anything. I must say I love when someone takes the time to wire correctly. Your build is top notch. My assumption is your going to run dedicated grounds to everything? I'm wondering if you've ever used Deutsch connectors? Google them. I first started using them on aircraft (first profession) then used them extensively on Caterpillar products while I was working as an EE for a local dealer. The splices are very nice, but when you have a bulkhead or anywhere you want a truly weather resistant connection and still be able to disconnect the two sides, these connectors are awesome. You need a tool to crimp the pins to the wire (ebay) but they are strong, solid, don't pull, and I've used them on everything from an F18 to a D11. Great build by the way. Can't wait to see the end product as I'm sure you cant either.
scooby533 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #545
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. Electrical is one of my stronger specialties, so compared to what I'm normally working on, the CJ is pretty basic. All of the physical work just takes a lot of time and patience. I've spent about 45 hours on the wiring and have about 80% done. I actually hammered most of it out over the long weekend a few weeks ago but haven't really gotten the chance to work on it since.

I need to get the grill assembled to finish off the wiring and soldering on the front. Then I'll go back and add all the convoluted covering. I'm still waiting on a couple parts for the dash and guess I can start putting the windshield back together at some point. I still need to paint my bumpers and re-clear coat the hood. I've also got some stereo stuff in the works. Lots of stuff still going on.

Hey scooby,
Thanks for the comments. I have seen those Deutsch connectors and they do work really well. I probably had one good spot where I could have used a three wire one but ended up improvising. Those are high quality units and work great but they are also a little pricey. I thought about adding a connector to separate the dash from the rest of the body harness but in the end it felt like it would have way too much extra crimping and soldering to make it worth the trouble.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #546
kusterer
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
My parking brake cable came up short due to my 1" body lift.

What is the thread size/pitch of the parking brake cable? I need to to this on mine.
kusterer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #547
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusterer View Post
What is the thread size/pitch of the parking brake cable? I need to to this on mine.
I am 99% sure it is 5/16x24 fine thread. I had to order the coupler from Fastenal because no one carried it locally, even Fastenal.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #548
BPJOOP93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Outstanding sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you are an inspiration to me.
i just wish i had the money to do this to my YJ.
now stop playing on the computer and get it finished.
this thread took me about 8 hours to get through at work of course!!
BPJOOP93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #549
kusterer
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I am 99% sure it is 5/16x24 fine thread. I had to order the coupler from Fastenal because no one carried it locally, even Fastenal.
Thanks.
kusterer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #550
Beach-Head
1986 CJ7 

Thank you for your great post on the wiring? I am currently rewiring my 86 CJ7 and have felt at time like I wanted to just give up and send it somewhere (felt like I was doing a hack job and was not happy with it at all). After reading you post and learning how to do it correctly, you've given me the confidence to pull it all out and do it the right way, so I wont have to worry about it in the future.

Anyway, awesome thread and I want a hood with louvers like yours (freakin' sick looking).

I've got no clue what I'm doing but I'm learning one busted knuckle at a time.
Beach-Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #551
ihavetheWILLto
1977 CJ7 

Very inspiring thread! Especially as I begin to tear mine apart....

Beach-Head - couldn't agree more. Me + wiring =
1977 CJ7 (Original Equipment: Frame) Currie 9 inch axles front and rear with 4.56 gears and chromoly shafts, Rear ARB Locker, Front Detroit Locker, rear Ford Explorer disc brakes, Ballistic Fab high steer, Mile Marker SS hubs, SOA, YJ Springs, 5.3 Vortec, SM465, D300...and more to come such as Metalcloak fenders, fiberglass tub, and....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wills-outdoor-south-florida-build-1122733/"]My Build Thread[/URL]
ihavetheWILLto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #552
meeko02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow great build Hey I use to own a mid 80's corvette, and those seats look oddly familiar
meeko02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #553
Matt99362
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All I can say is WOW. The pictures of the paint job showed me just how dirty my screen was. The explanation of how you're doing your wiring is priceless information to the first timer. I haven't started my project yet, but when I do I'm sure I'll be referring back to this build. Mike, you're doing an excellent job! I look forward to reading along on your progress.
Unread 09-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #554
TehWicked

Wow, I just read all 37 pages and im super impressed...

The amount of detail your taking here just to restore this frame and body back to better then factory condition is jsut impressive. I really wish I had the skills, tools and patience to do something of this magnitude.

Good luck man! Your getting close!
TehWicked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #555
istalker
1977 CJ7 

Wow

Thanks for giving me something to do today. Your def an engineer your attention to detail is great.

Now get back to work on that jeep so I can have closure
istalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.