Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #496
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Black headlight bezels ftw.

ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #497
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You really been at it today Mike. You got all of those parts primed and painted then had time to can all of those peppers! Man you sure know how to get things done!!! By the way they sure look good too.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #498
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
You really been at it today Mike. You got all of those parts primed and painted then had time to can all of those peppers! Man you sure know how to get things done!!! By the way they sure look good too.
No, I'm not a magician. We did those peppers a couple weekends ago. I just stumbled on the photos while sorting.

Maybe at the end of the build I'll add up my receipts and have a little competition. Whoever can get closest to guessing the final cost gets a free jar of jalapenos and a six pack of assorted homebrew shipped to them. What do you think?

Please don't start hammering this thread with $$$ amount guesses.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-28-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #499
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Well you're still doing pretty good. I like the garden pictures about as much as the jeep stuff, almost.

I think your contest will be met with overwhelming support. If the peppers and beer turn out as good as the Jeep it'll be quite a contest.

My build thread
Unread 08-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #500
SoonerCJ7
1979 CJ7 

I read this thread yesterday. FYI it took about 3 hrs but I am a fast reader. I have a 79 CJ7, 258 w Carter BBD, T18A, D20 and the standard Dana 30 front AMC 20 rear in 3.54, everything is factory except the PO rhinolined the inside of the tub, and put new front and rear bumpers on and a 9k winch. I really wanted to leave everything factory but the carter has finally started acting up and there are some rust spots on both rear fender wells and down low on each rear corner piece. I have been thinking about doing rebuild on this jeep for a while. I have been putting it off because I know that once I start the rust is gonna be worse than it looks and I am probably going to go broke trying to add in a bunch of stuff.

I am gonna try to plan everything out and gather all the parts before I start. I most likely will leave the engine, axles, transfer case and tranny alone, just inspect them and replace some seals. The engine is great with just about 30k on a rebuild. I dont do any serious rock crawling, or anything like that so I figure everything in that department will be satisfactory for my needs.

The biggest problem I have is what to do with the paint on it. I know I could never get one to come out like you have, and if I did I dont think I could bring myself to actually drive it anywhere near a dusty trail much less in the general vicinity of a tree branch. lol. I thought about just spraying the whole dang thing with raptor or some other product like that. lol.

Anyways, you have done an amazing job, one of the best I have seen. I cant wait to see how it all looks when your done. Keep up the good work but just please stop making it all look so easy, its killing me. lol.
SoonerCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #501
TJ-Joe
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Maybe at the end of the build I'll add up my receipts and have a little competition. Whoever can get closest to guessing the final cost gets a free jar of jalapenos and a six pack of assorted homebrew shipped to them. What do you think?
LOL ... I learned long ago not to total up the receipts on these projects for two reasons: 1) you'll be shocked by the number, and 2) the wife will feel compelled to go spend an equivalent amount
TJ-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #502
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

You do awesome work! I have been following your thread for several months and it is amazing the attention to detail that you have! I have a question that has to do with the raptor liner. I am planning on doing the same thing but I was curious what you plan on doing with the threads for the seat bolts. I have been thinking about leaving bolt in while I spray that way I will have clean threads. Or I considered just cleaning out the threads with a tap and dye set. Just was curious to see how the liner would affect the installation of all the seat hardware and such. Keep up the good work dude!
Unread 08-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #503
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer919 View Post
You do awesome work! I have been following your thread for several months and it is amazing the attention to detail that you have! I have a question that has to do with the raptor liner. I am planning on doing the same thing but I was curious what you plan on doing with the threads for the seat bolts. I have been thinking about leaving bolt in while I spray that way I will have clean threads. Or I considered just cleaning out the threads with a tap and dye set. Just was curious to see how the liner would affect the installation of all the seat hardware and such. Keep up the good work dude!
Some people use ear plugs (the ones you roll together), golf tees, rolled up tape, personnel preference. Mine is the ear plugs, I've sprayed Raptor 7 times and never had a problem with them yet.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #504
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
Some people use ear plugs (the ones you roll together), golf tees, rolled up tape, personnel preference. Mine is the ear plugs, I've sprayed Raptor 7 times and never had a problem with them yet.
FWIW you can get boxes of those expanding foam ones at Harbor Freight for really cheap
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #505
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I know this isn't Jeep related but I know some of you gardeners out there might appreciate this. I have five jalapeno plants, one friend has six and another has seven. Here are a couple of mine grown in pots on the back deck.

Chilihead checking in...I quit counting but my most productive plants this year are Habanero's. The last time I counted I had seven one gallon bags in the freezer.

Your canned Jap's look great, and it is a lot of work but at least it's inside with AC

Oddly enough, pickled Jap's give me Hunan Hole worse that Habanero's.

This year I have Fatali, 7-Pod, Tabasco, Hot Cherry, Lumbre, Jalapeno, Bulgarian Carrot, Hungarian Wax, Scotch Bonnet's and some mystery peppers. I canned a bunch of Hot Cherry for my youngest daughter. She can't smell so she tends to like hot and spicy food and really likes the pickled Cherry Peppers.

Mike gave me the OK to post some pod pic's so here is a five day harvest.

Last edited by 243; 08-29-2010 at 06:19 PM..
243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #506
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

It is all on topic cause those peppers are about as hot as mike's jeep
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #507
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Man you guys are making me hungry Even if I did fart fire for a week.

My build thread
Unread 08-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #508
brian613
1977 CJ5 

subscribing to the thread. love the work on the jeep and am now planning a similar rebuild (just not as good of a paint job because my paint skilz are lacking)
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #509
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCJ7 View Post
I read this thread yesterday. FYI it took about 3 hrs but I am a fast reader. I have a 79 CJ7... ...and there are some rust spots on both rear fender wells and down low on each rear corner piece.... ...I know that once I start the rust is gonna be worse than it looks and I am probably going to go broke trying to add in a bunch of stuff.

I am gonna try to plan everything out and gather all the parts before I start.

The biggest problem I have is what to do with the paint on it... ...I thought about just spraying the whole dang thing with raptor or some other product like that. lol.

Anyways, you have done an amazing job, one of the best I have seen. I cant wait to see how it all looks when your done. Keep up the good work but just please stop making it all look so easy, its killing me. lol.
Thanks for reading the entire thread. You're right that you can count on all the rust spots being worse than you think. As far as buying all the parts before hand, that can be hit or miss. I tired to buy as many parts at once to minimize on the shipping costs. Some of the first parts I bought are just now getting pulled out of the boxes. I bought front fenders a year and a half before I ever needed them. They were just taking up space the whole time and when I did finally pull them out to use them, it was to late to send one of them back due to the flaw I fixed which was posted earlier. Several new parts are not going to be used because I changed my plans through the build. So buying everything at the beginning can be hit or miss.

I'm not sure I'd Raptor the outside of a tub. There are lots of paint options out there.

Thanks for the comments, it is coming together nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Joe View Post
LOL ... I learned long ago not to total up the receipts on these projects for two reasons: 1) you'll be shocked by the number, and 2) the wife will feel compelled to go spend an equivalent amount
1) I'm counting on being shocked but at some point I'm going to have to know.

2) Thankfully that's not a problem. If it costs you twice, why not lose her and just have two CJ's or only one that is twice as nice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer919 View Post
You do awesome work! I have been following your thread for several months and it is amazing the attention to detail that you have! I have a question that has to do with the raptor liner. Keep up the good work dude!
Thanks you for your comments. SlikRic pretty much nailed it. I used golf T's to block the holes on mine because they are cheaper than ear plugs even though I had plenty of both. I just gave them a quick tap with the hammer to seat them and sprayed away. I tried not to over apply around the holes either. Most I could just push out from the back side and have no problems with the threads around the holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Chilihead checking in...

This year I have Fatali, 7-Pod, Tabasco, Hot Cherry, Lumbre, Jalapeno, Bulgarian Carrot, Hungarian Wax, Scotch Bonnet's and some mystery peppers. I canned a bunch of Hot Cherry for my youngest daughter. She can't smell so she tends to like hot and spicy food and really likes the pickled Cherry Peppers.
I love those types of pictures of peppers with all the vibrant colors. I think you've convinced me to grow some mega-hot variates next year. That's interesting that your daughter can't smell. It would make sense for her to be attracted to spicy foods to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
It is all on topic cause those peppers are about as hot as mike's jeep
That was funny. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian613 View Post
subscribing to the thread. love the work on the jeep and am now planning a similar rebuild (just not as good of a paint job because my paint skilz are lacking)
The paint was a lot of work and is by no means perfect. I was expecting perfection after all the work I put into the filler and primer but it is not. I am satisfied with the way it turned out and can say that I did it myself. I have to remind myself of what I started with and that in the end, it's only a Jeep.
Unread 09-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #510
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I've gotten quite a bit done on the Jeep but not a lot of it picture worthy. I got the throttle body and EGR valve mounted with SS bolts. I got the throttle cable hooked to the pedal, the vacuum lines ran to the brake booster and the fuel pressure regulator. The heater core lines are hooked up.

I also got these cleaned up. I know what some of the regulars say about Accel wires but I already had these so planned to reuse them. I've seen 10 second cars use these so they can't be all that bad.

Coil needs to be cleaned up.

Here they are after a good cleaning.

Here they are installed.

One more angle.

I've been doing a lot of work on the wiring and also got my charcoal canister mounted. I am headed out to dinner with some friends but might try to post some of that later tonight.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.