Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #481
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I'm also using a Ford 5.0 with an NP435 and also an NP205 twin sticked. What size tires and gears are you going with?

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #482
mangos86
1980 CJ7 

Just read the entire build in one sitting. This is one awesome looking jeep. I can't wait for the day I am out of the army and back home where I can do this to my 80'. I can't wait to see the final results.
mangos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #483
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback.

I would also like to thank all the people who serve our country in the armed forces. My oldest brother is an Air Force retired 22 year E8. Here is to all of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
What size tires and gears are you going with?
I have 3.73's with 33's right now and will very likely be going to 35's. I know that's a little on the tall side but it has the 6.68:1 first gear for a 67:1 crawl ratio and the extra HP should make up for it on the street. It could chirp the 33's into third gear without much effort before. I don't plan on driving it like that with the 35's, very much.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #484
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post

I would also like to thank all the people who serve our country in the armed forces. My oldest brother is an Air Force retired 22 year E8. Here is to all of you.

I have 3.73's with 33's right now and will very likely be going to 35's. I know that's a little on the tall side but it has the 6.68:1 first gear for a 67:1 crawl ratio and the extra HP should make up for it on the street. It could chirp the 33's into third gear without much effort before. I don't plan on driving it like that with the 35's, very much.
Hey Mike I never did plan on getting on the gas a little too much either but it just happened. A chirp in 3rd gear. That's impressive gives me something to look forward too.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #485
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post

The 1st gear ratio being in the 6's is great. The 2nd gear ratio of 3.34 isn't too bad either. My 1ton Ford I drive daily has a second ratio of 2.94 and 1300 rpm gives 10.3 mph on 32 inch tires with 4.10 gearing.

Our NP435s, in second that we will use to take off from stop lights, gives 10.9 mph at 1300 using 3.73 gearing with 35's. I'm using 40's and will that will work out to 11.3 mph but I have 4.1 gears.

We don't want our 2nd gear to be too tall to comfortably get the rig rolling on the road or the trail on hills. The Granny low is awesome but not usable to get our Jeeps rolling on busy roads. I had a Ford truck years ago with the NP435 behind a 6 cylinder. When I tired it up with bigger rubber it did labor to get rolling, but I know my diff ratios were smaller than 4.10s, too. When I was in the bush, and that was all of the time, I had to use 1st gear or the clutch would have taken a beating to get the truck rolling with all of the extra resistance on loose ground, grass, logs- you know.

I guess all I'm saying is 35's should work with your 3.73 gears and mine with 40's and 4.10 gearing.

Also, on the highway your 35's and 3.73 gears will give 54.4 mph at 1950 rpm ( I like being below 200 on the highway if possible and 1800 preferred). Mine will show 56.6 at the same rpm... I think this should be doable with our 5.0 engines.
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #486
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ I agree. Starting in 2nd on the street will be a little laboring but shouldn't be too bad. Power on the highway should be a non-issue as this thing would easily crank up to 90+ mph, not that I liked driving it that fast. What is great off road is you always have the option of 4x4 low and just cruising around in 2nd and 3rd gears.
Unread 08-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #487
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Brakes

I tried to bench bleed my master cylinder and did not have much luck. I know I had replaced this at one point since I've owned it but I must have pumped this thing 200 times and was still getting air out of the back hole. I even had it angled pretty far down for a while. At one point I thought I could hear air slowly sucking into the MC while listening from underneath. So I eventually gave up and ordered a new one. What's another $20 right? Everything else in the braking system, except for the proportioning valve, is new.

Here is what the mounting point at the brake booster looked like. I was able to clean up the seal pretty good.

I got it just a little bit cleaner than this and put a dab of anti-seize on the end of the push rod.

I got the new master cylinder and performed the same bench bleeding procedure. I had to pump it about 15-20 times before the bubbles disappeared. The walls of the master cylinder are visually thinner than the one I took off. The sealing surface of the new one is also in much worse shape. I would say there is a very good chance it is going to weep out of the lid.

After the master cylinder was fully bled, I left it on the bench with the ports plugged while installing the down lines to the frame. I thought I had started the rear line with my fingers for a couple full turns before it got hard. I started using the wrench and it seemed to be turning with minimal resistance for over another full turn, then it got hard. I could tell something was not right so I crawled underneath to get a side angle view and the entire line was leaning toward the front. Apparently it had cross threaded but I could not tell.

The first thought that popped into my engineering mind was "bottom tap, I can fix this" but I knew I was best off buying a new one. Brass is so soft and it was 31 years old so I figure it was just as well it got damaged enough to make me want to replace it. I had previously tried to take the valve out of the end to clean it and was using gorilla force but it wasn't budging. So who knows if it was functioning properly anyway. I had to cut off and replace the fitting on the brake line at the cost of 53 cents and drop another Benjamin on this.

At least now I can say the entire braking system is new. A friend came over and helped me bleed the brakes. We used a Mityvac and started at the right rear only pulling about 5" of vacuum until I got fluid. Then moved to the left rear, right front then left front. I started at the right rear again and bled it manually until I saw no more air, this was maybe 4-6 times average per wheel. Then I went back around one last time with three more bleeds per wheel even though I was no longer getting air. I just wanted to be sure since I was starting with empty lines. I'll be sure to bleed them again after the first 100 miles. The pedal feels solid and you can hear all the components moving. I'll likely brush on a coat of POR and Chassis Black when I open the cans to paint my bumper.
Unread 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #488
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Great pics, Mike. Thanks. I agree that your new MC may weep. Several folks have complained about that. It's kind of late now but you might want to use a big file and level the sealing surface. Don't know how you'd keep the shavings out of the bowl, though. But I know you ain't gonna be happy with a weepy MC in a brand new Jeep! Paint it before you get oil all over it!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #489
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

New brake stuff all around is a good idea. I wonder if that old MC could be rebuilt? Too bad they didn't take the time to machine the top better.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #490
benullman
1981 CJ7 

superb job man! Im just starting body work on my front clip and this is just amazing. I love the look of the stripes! I want to replicate it on mine. Metallic blue with yellow stripes. Its such a clean look to the CJ.

Ben
benullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #491
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

Where did u get the master cylinder at? I got a whole new assembly about 8 years ago and now mine is REALLY leaking (not weeping) from the top.

FYI I got the one 8 years ago at o'reilys. I was looking to get one from advanced auto this time (there are no o'rielys where I'm now stationed)
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #492
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm not disappointed I had to replace the last of the brake parts. Minimal cost for piece of mind knowing that everything is new.

I bought the MC at AutoZone for $19.99 for the remanufactured unit. I believe the new unit was $54. Unfortunately it is not a part that they stock so I didn't get the chance to pick from several parts. They special ordered it so I pretty much got what I got. I was dumping used oil in the back while he was doing the core exchange. I could see him through the opening in the racks and he looked in the box three times, probably wondering if I was returning the new part because it was nicely painted.
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #493
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Small Black Accessories

I got most of my smaller black accessory parts painted. These were all primed with the 2K100 except for those couple of bolt heads that got the rattle can. Here they are all primered, sanded and washed ready for paint.

I ended up painting them black with an air brush. Took longer but was kind of fun.

Hanging out to dry. The piece on the far left is actually Raptor'ed and goes beneath the charcoal canister.

Here is a shot of one of the brake light housings after a round of clear coat.

Headlight bezel after some clear coat.

Time to install a few small parts. I have no intention of sanding or buffing theses.

I bought some SS button head bolts to attach the mirrors to the windshield hinges. I'm debating on whether I should paint them black or just leave them stainless.
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #494
1983 CJ7 

Looks like you are getting closer every week; I am finally getting a chance to work on mine but I don't think I will catch up with you.
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #495
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Dave, it really is starting to come together. If your able to catch up to me, you're a better man than I.

I know this isn't Jeep related but I know some of you gardeners out there might appreciate this. I have five jalapeno plants, one friend has six and another has seven. Here are a couple of mine grown in pots on the back deck.

Between the three of us we harvested 38# of peppers the first run.

We wash and dice all the peppers and pack them into jars with carrots and garlic. We had about 35 pounds chopped weight of peppers, 9 pounds of carrots and 15 heads of garlic.

We made six gallons of brine with white vinegar/water, 6 large onions, 4 heads of garlic and an assortment of our "special" spices. Then you have to boil them for 15 minutes.

It took about six hours worth of work for the three of us to finish with 86 pints of peppers. I don't think we'll be running out of jalapenos this year. I ended up with 28 pints this year and usually give about half of them away to my family and friends when I go to Colorado to visit, they snatch them up. I still have some left from last year, which were awesome. We have tweaked a great recipe and now try to replicate it every time.

Of course you can't use them all for pickling. I like

The Thai Dragons are also coming in nice.

Ready to pick some reds.

Here is about one pound the first go around.

I put these in the dehydrator for about 14 hours to dry them out. After that we crush them into powder and use as dry seasoning on any food you like spicy.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-28-2010 at 03:20 PM..

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.