Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #466
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Beautiful, Mike... makes me want to do it too!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #467
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Looking good man. Can't wait to read about you firing it up.

You gonna put any cool emblems on it or anything to hint at whats really going on in there? I was thinking about putting one of the "V8" emblems on mine. I like the Trail Rated ones as well. I guess you have a little time to think about that stuff though.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #468
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I am glad I took a half a day to pull the heads and clean the pistons and cylinder walls.

As far as emblems, I am going to have some pinstripe made up that will have "5.0 HO" placed below the Jeep stamp in the tub.

I got the cylinder heads put back on with some new torque to yield head bolts. They come with the sealant on the bolts that are in contact with the water jackets.

I need to clean it all off again and do some touch up paint work. The rust colored dust drives me crazy!

This should be the last time I ever have to pull these out of the box.

I had to wipe drool off my valve covers again.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #469
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Engine wiring harness

I got the engine wiring harness cleaned up. Here is how it came out of the box I put it in 2.5 years ago.

Here is the harness all stripped down. I needed to keep all the wires but I had to move the canister purge solenoid to a different location. You can see it go from the bottom right of the photo to the far left.

Here it is all taped up with new conduit. Still missing just a few short runs at the ends but I can finish that off once it's on the engine.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-28-2010 at 10:45 PM..
Unread 08-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #470
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Mike, have you put on a valve cover and made sure the roller rockers clear okay? Reason for asking, I bought the same valve cover in aluminum (not black) and my roller rockers where touching. I ended up going with a set of Canton aluminum which are little taller than stock but still clear the Cobra intake without adding the spacer plate... You may be okay but just a thought....
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #471
brandon20

mike when alls said and done whats the estimation on how much in parts you'll have in this jeep? replacing around 40 basic parts with nothing to do with the engine,transmissions or axels i've already spent 4k.
brandon20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #472
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Looks like it's just as well that you pulled the heads even if you hadn't got the grinding grit in them. Getting that carbon off there would make me sleep better. At least now you know that it won't be coming lose later on and then maybe having to deal with it. Those pistons sure cleaned up good.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #473
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

I want to see you and Calvin race! Yours "looks" faster with the racing stripes!
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #474
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Mike, have you put on a valve cover and made sure the roller rockers clear okay? Reason for asking, I bought the same valve cover in aluminum (not black) and my roller rockers where touching. I ended up going with a set of Canton aluminum which are little taller than stock but still clear the Cobra intake without adding the spacer plate... You may be okay but just a thought....
On the passenger's side stock valve cover I had to use a hammer and punch to "modify" the baffle for the oil fill to clear the rocker. The new valve covers are 3/4-1" taller and are supposed to clear the larger rocker arms. With the original valve covers I could use the stock throttle linkage. With the new valve covers being taller, I have to either use the intake spacer or modify the throttle linkage. I decided to just go with the spacer since I could get it cheap, I know a guy , and because I've got plenty of room between the hood and top of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon20 View Post
mike when alls said and done whats the estimation on how much in parts you'll have in this jeep? replacing around 40 basic parts with nothing to do with the engine,transmissions or axels i've already spent 4k.
Is that 4k on just the parts or the labor too? All of my labor is free, so to speak. When I started this out I was thinking $4-6k worth of parts and consumables. I am probably in the $6-8k range by now though. Once I deem the CJ as being "done", I will add up all the receipts and likely post it to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Looks like it's just as well that you pulled the heads even if you hadn't got the grinding grit in them. Getting that carbon off there would make me sleep better. At least now you know that it won't be coming lose later on and then maybe having to deal with it. Those pistons sure cleaned up good.
The grinding dust was minimal but that $60 and a half day worth of work sure makes me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
I want to see you and Calvin race! Yours "looks" faster with the racing stripes!
Well I need to get it running first but let's see; we have the same gear ratio, he has smaller tires, he also has a stroker with 10% more cubic inches. His is also a CJ5, with a fiberglass body, so it should be considerably lighter in weight. Once you factor in my racing stripes and obviously superior driving skills, it would have to be a tie.
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #475
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

I bought the 1/2" spacer as well and did not use. Although, you are correct, the throttle cable is barely clearing the top of the valve cover. I may add it if I pulled the top off anytime in the future... The spacer is a good way to go and give you some clearance.....

As far as the race that Nedmoore is looking for, I am thinking it would only be a short one... About 65-70 MPH is all I am comfortable with in the little short CJ5.... Not only that but the T-176 is NOT a racing transmission and I could see pieces all over the road from shifting like in the Cobra
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #476
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Yeah, my NP435 is nice but still shifts like a dump truck.

I got my control pedals and main brake components installed.
Unread 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #477
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

More work on the engine

I got the headers, exhaust, alternator and power steering mounted back up. I also got the engine harness installed.

A picture of the driver's side. I finally decided it was time to install a quality oil filter.

Valve covers are on. I wasn't very happy about the bolts for the valve covers so I picked up some new black headed bolts from Fastenal. They are not on in this picture though.

Driver's side. The wires you see hanging in the back are off the engine harness and will go to my canister purge valve.

Here is a picture of the intake with no spacer installed.

Notice how close it is to the valve cover. I could not install my throttle linkage because the bottom corner needed an extra 1/4" to clear the valve cover.

A picture of the Ford Motorsport intake spacer. It is supposed to keep the intake cooler and increases the runner length. I needed it solely to have the clearance so my throttle linkage would not hit the valve cover.

Of course I had to paint it black to match.

Here it is with the spacer installed. Notice I also got my distributor cleaned and painted.

I had to pick up some more bolts from Fastenal to finish installing the intake, throttle body and EGR valve.
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #478
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 08-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #479
mike76CJ5

1976 CJ5 

that thing is a BEAST
mike76CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #480
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

When you said "picture crazy" you were right. These pictures are making us all crazy with jealousy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.