Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #451
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroh View Post

I think you may even have inspired me to give it a try once I get home from deployment.
Thank you for your service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #452
hold24

1978 CJ7 

This is just insane body and paint work. This is were I turn my project over to my body guy. I could'nt dream of coming up with a finished product like this.Beautiful work pure talent. you must have saved yourself a ton of money. Can't wait to see it finished.

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
hold24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #453
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I would like to thank all of you for your comments and feedback.

Several times I have read people state they have read all 400+ posts in one sitting and I must say that I am impressed. Just browsing through the photos would take several hours. To actually read all the posts from start to finish is truley impressive. I've always wondered how long that would take. I've caught myself going back through portions of the thread and the next thing you know it's two hours later. To have people respond like that after reading the entire thing is very rewarding. It sure has come a long way. Thank you again!

I've acquired a lot of the little parts I've been needing and should start getting some things back together fairly quickly. Thanks for following along.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #454
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Heater Case

I got the heater case and defroster duct installed.

Just another angle. The green wire is the ground for my blower motor and is connected directly to the blower body.
Unread 08-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #455
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Is this what light at the end of the tunnel looks like Mike?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #456
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Is this what light at the end of the tunnel looks like Mike?
I do believe that's what it's called. Should be getting some more updates throughout the day. I'm almost done modifying my parking brake cable.
Unread 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #457
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Keep them coming.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #458
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Parking Brake Cable

My parking brake cable came up short due to my 1" body lift.

In order to extend the adjuster I had to cut about 1" off the original threads. I cut the threads even with the center of the coupler. This is 5/16"x24 fine thread.

Next I used a stainless steel bolt as an adjuster to screw into the coupler with another jam nut and used two more stainless nuts to actually adjust the parking brake tension.

Here is it all connected.

The parking brake actuator is mounted. Notice how the front is moved to the right of its' normal mounting point. I did that in an attempt to give me better access to the pedal due to my 6 point roll cage, the front arm runs right in front of the pedal. I use to just contort my foot in there to apply the brake but I moved it out to see if that will help. If it gets in the way of the clutch I will just move it back to the stock location and fab up something for the pedal.

Last edited by Coiz; 03-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: add adjuster bolt and thread size
Unread 08-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #459
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

A Little Engine Work

I'm going to have to take a step back before I can move forward. About six months ago when I was originally installing my new Advanced Adapter block hugger headers with my Stage 8 locking header bolts and the reusable 6 ply aluminum gaskets(MrGasket #7410G),

I noticed the poor casting on the outer edge of the exhaust ports.The one on the left is really bad.

If you look closely you can see the black outline from the stock exhaust gaskets. When you stuck your finger in the port there was a considerable lip right at the top outer edge. It seemed like I could grind an easy 1/8" lip off the opening and make it even with that stock gasket mark. Keep in mind by no means was I trying to "port the head".

You can see how much better the gasket matches the headers than it does the head.

I had seen this done several times in college and helped a friend do it on his Corvette. I wasn't nearly as aggressive as any of my previous experiences. Like I said, I wasn't trying to port the head, I was only trying to clean up obvious casting flaws at the ends of the ports.

Here they are all cleaned up.

I basically did the same thing to both heads. Now here is the kicker. While grinding these lips with a stone tipped air powered die grinder, I made sure the valves were shut and had my shop vac at point blank on the work zone. After a couple of them I started stuffing the exhaust ports with paper towels before grinding while vacuuming. Afterwards, I cleaned every port as well as I could. I was pretty sure I had got most of the shavings but ultimately it would sometimes keep me up at night wondering if any of those shavings made it into the engine. Notice the micro sized reflective bits?

Nightmares of having to rebuild my engine 2000 miles after finishing my restoration got the best of me. Fast forward to now, six months later I finally priced out some head gaskets and bolts for $60 and figured that was cheap insurance to make sure the engine was clean. Time to start disassembling the engine to get the cylinder heads off.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-21-2010 at 03:00 PM..
Unread 08-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #460
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

DAMN DUDE!!!! nice CJ. My son and I have read through the whole thread. And he loves the paint job. I just love the whole damn thing. Keep it going. Cause I can't do this to my DD yet.
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #461
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Thank you for the comments.

To remove the cylinder heads I had to start with the lower intake manifold, headers, alternator, power steering and valve covers.

The driver's side cylinder head removed revealing the bank of pistons.

Close up of cylinder #1. Notice the carbon ring ridge and other small debris in the cylinder. The wrinkle in the carbon is likely from the metal parts cleaner I was spraying on the valves while trying to clean them off.

This took me literally 60 seconds with a brass brush and metal parts cleaner.

A few minutes later the deck is mostly clean and two of the four pistons.

This was somewhere around 10-15 minutes of total scrubbing.

The passenger's side bank 1 looked the same with carbon build up.

Clean away with the brass brush and metal cleaner.

The entire side clean. I also pulled out all of the lifters and cleaned them off as well as the cam lobes. I even wiped a dab of assembly lube on them before I put them back in. I also cleaned out the valley really well.

After spraying out most of the dirt between the piston and the compression ring, I ended up coating a lint free cloth liberally in oil and washed all of the cylinders. Then I would crank the engine over by hand and wipe off all the dirt in the oil that was left in the top of the cylinder by the top piston ring when it moves from top to bottom. There was quite a bit of debris the first several times but quickly lessened. I did this probably 15-20 times per cylinder before there was no more contaminates being left behind in the fresh oil film. I feel an awful lot better about the inside of my engine now.
Unread 08-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #462
1983 CJ7 

Dude, I love the 5.0 and I am seriously jealous!

How long to you think it will be until you take it on the first drive since tear down?
Unread 08-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #463
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

STAWWWWP! Now I'm going to have to go back and grind ALL the old paint off my frame. You shame me! Question... since you had everything out and apart, why DIDN'T you port the heads? You make it look easy Mike. I could go out and pull the head off Clay's engine (shoot.. it IS Clay's engine!) and have a look... but I'd choke... sure as shooting I would choke!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #464
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Dude, I love the 5.0 and I am seriously jealous!

How long to you think it will be until you take it on the first drive since tear down?
I hate putting time frames on anything Jeep related because it always seems to jinx me. I could have it running in about a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
STAWWWWP! Now I'm going to have to go back and grind ALL the old paint off my frame. You shame me! Question... since you had everything out and apart, why DIDN'T you port the heads? You make it look easy Mike. I could go out and pull the head off Clay's engine (shoot.. it IS Clay's engine!) and have a look... but I'd choke... sure as shooting I would choke!
I guess the main difference is that I've lost count of how many engines I've had apart. Most people could add that up on one hand.

As far as the porting, there is a lot more to it than just going to town with a grinder and making everything look shiny. There is a lot of theory behind port and bowl design and without a flow bench I'm not sure I would want to tackle that right now. I don't think lack of HP is going to be one of my concerns.
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #465
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Next I had to get the cylinder heads cleaned up.

Luckily I just scored a parts washer. I wish I would have had this two years ago.

Clean enough and drying off.

Here is a good shot at the grinding that caused me to have to do this. This should help give you an idea of how much material was removed.

The top lip of another port.

Time to start putting it back together. Right after I wipe off the top of that piston.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.