Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #436
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Main Tub Run

With the hectic day of brewing and that flurry of posts, I just realized that I never posted on the passenger's side of the tub.

Here is a recap of my nasty run on the passenger's side rear quarter panel.

I was lucky enough to be able to sand that sucker out without breaking through the clear coat.

Here it is after the first round of polishing.

Round two is with the spot and swirl remover on the gray polishing pad.

After round two you can see the gloss starting to really come in.

Here it is after the third stage of Ultra-fine polish.

So for comparison, in this picture you can see the original clear coat finish and the sanded finish. The passenger's side went from this:

To this:

I think I'm finished with the polishing for a while.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #437
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Mike, just let me know when you want me to drop off the CJ for the detail job! Dude that paint is perfect. I've seen mirrors with less reflection. I would be scared to drive it.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #438
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Dang! You ruined it. I could tell what color it was BEFORE you polished it. You better leave it in the garage!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #439
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

WOW
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #440
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would cry the first time I scratched that on a tree or rock, looking so good.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #441
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4883 View Post
No kidding. I'm rattle canning everything so far and not mentioning the runs I'm so skillfully producing on most things...
Unread 08-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #442
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
Mike, just let me know when you want me to drop off the CJ for the detail job! Dude that paint is perfect. I've seen mirrors with less reflection. I would be scared to drive it.
I don't think you could afford me.

When I was picking up the $200 worth of buffing products the guy who sold me the paint, who happens to paint only Corvettes on the side, told me I likely have a $3500-4000 paint job. He said if you brought him a fully prepped and primed car it is usually $1000-1500 for paint, $1000 to paint it and another $1500 to sand and buff. He said if someone wants a full detail, it's a cool $12-1500 he makes in 5-7 days spending a few hours a night. Again, he works on pretty much only older Corvettes.

I know in regards to my CJ, I spent over two full days in the booth and that's not even counting the priming, sanding, filler or basically the last 20 pages of this thread. Let's not even go back to the welding stage. The paint is not completely perfect as there are some minor flaws but I must say I am pretty satisfied with the overall finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Dang! You ruined it. I could tell what color it was BEFORE you polished it. You better leave it in the garage!!
Oh, I have no intention of leaving it parked. See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
WOW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4883 View Post
I want to thank all of you guys! I will have to admit this will likely be a mall crawler and show queen for the first couple years, mainly because there is not a lot of places to go wheeling around here, but I have every intention of wheeling it. Here is another picture an old college friend recently posted of me on Facebook. This is from the 1996 Easter Jeep Safari. Ah, the good ole days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
No kidding. I'm rattle canning everything so far and not mentioning the runs I'm so skillfully producing on most things...
I've seen your thread and you are well on your way to having a sweet rig. I might have to make the short drive down some weekend to drink your beer and watch you work on it.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #443
1983 CJ7 

Think of where you would be with a single stage urethane enamel paint job!

The issues you have dealt with are the reason I will be using base coat/clear coat on my Jeep. I may do the same on my daughter's D100 but my mind is not made up yet.
Unread 08-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #444
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

DUDE!

that's amazing... my factory paint has more runs than that
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #445
stroh
1986 CJ7 

Wow!

Mike,

I just realized I read 444 posts in one sitting. Talk about an amazing progression! This Jeep is phenomenal. Great work and I wish I had the technical skills and knowledge to tackle this on my rusty '86 CJ-7. I think you may even have inspired me to give it a try once I get home from deployment. Great work, I'm checking in daily from here on out!
stroh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #446
Vee
1976 DJ 

Very impressive- this thread took up most of my day at work today, thanks and awesome work!
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #447
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
Very impressive- this thread took up most of my day at work today, thanks and awesome work!
That's funny!
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #448
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
I hope your boss isn't a jeepforum member.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #449
mike76CJ5

1976 CJ5 

looking sharp!
mike76CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #450
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWulf View Post
DUDE!

that's amazing... my factory paint has more runs than someone who drank the water down in Mexico

Fixed it for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.