Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #31
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Torque Arm

After some proper motivation from John Strenk, I decided to use some of my off time to build a torque arm and move the mounts from its current center position and offset it toward the passenger side. I was originally going to use a piece of ¼" x 2" thick bar stock but was having trouble finding a piece at the local stores. They all have ¼" x 1.5" but not the 2" wide. When I got the torque arm mounts I put the two pieces of rubber together and measured that they have a 5/16" gap. I already had a piece of 3/16"x 2" and a piece of 1/8" x 2". So I clamped them together and started welding. I ended up with a 14" long piece of 5/16" x 2" bar stock.

I moved the transmission mount toward the passenger side and determined which holes in the skid plate would be used. This made the inner mount bolt hole very close to the center support brace on the adapter. I measured and marked the pieces then took it all apart. I had to drill a new hole in the trans adapter for the inner mount bolt.

Then I used the existing hole on the opposite side of the adapter and drilled a hole in the torque arm to match. This made sure the rubber mount had 2 bolts to the arm and the arm had 2 bolts through the adapter.

I bolted the entire thing back to the trans and skid plate to determine the correct point to drill the hole for the torque arm bushings.

So I measured and marked the correct location and took it back apart. I had to buy a $40 stepped drill bit to drill the 7/8" hole for the torque arm. I used a friend's drill press to make this a bit cleaner. Thanks Aaron. At this point I also cut about 2" off the end to make it the correct length.

This is the measurement that showed the arm should be 5/16" thick.

Of course I had to bolt it all back together again just to make sure everything lined up and bolted together.

So I took it all apart, primed and painted the torque arm, then put it all back together again.

Another angle

I am glad I took the time to do this and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I think I put that thing together and pulled it apart about 5 times. It was a bit of work but well worth the effort.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #32
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Engine paint and parts:

Engine paint and parts:
The engine was out of a 1992 Mustang GT with 27,000. 1992 was the last year for the forged pistons. I put on a set of GT40 heads with the cobra roller rockers shortly after I did the initial install. I saw it only fitting to buy the finishing parts.

Here is what it looked like before I started:

I also scuffed, cleaned and painted the engine. Here it is primed.

Painted with high temp engine paint:

No accessories:

Water pump, alternator and power steering pump will all the brackets installed:

I was pretty much out of time right before I was leaving for Christmas but I couldn't help take 20 minutes to bolt on a couple parts so I could give a sneak peak of what this thing is going to look like. I really couldn't resist:

It will only take a half day worth of work to get the front end back together. After that I can install the fuel and brake lines along with all the bump stops. I'll get started on the body when the weather gets a little more reasonable. I'll keep the shiney engine parts off until after the tub is finished and bolted up.

Last edited by Coiz; 01-10-2009 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Change picture link
Unread 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #33
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Engine paint and parts:
The engine was out of a 1992 Mustang GT with 27,000. 1992 was the last year for the forged pistons. I put on a set of GT40 heads with the cobra roller rockers shortly after I did the initial install. I saw it only fitting to buy the finishing parts.

Here is what it looked like before I started:

I also scuffed, cleaned and painted the engine. Here it is primed.

Painted with high temp engine paint:

No accessories:

Water pump, alternator and power steering pump will all the brackets installed:

I was pretty much out of time right before I was leaving for Christmas but I couldn't help take 20 minutes to bolt on a couple parts so I could give a sneak peak of what this thing is going to look like. I really couldn't resist:

It will only take a half day worth of work to get the front end back together. After that I can install the fuel and brake lines along with all the bump stops. I'll get started on the body when the weather gets a little more reasonable. I'll keep the shiney engine parts off until after the tub is finished and bolted up.
LOL I like the Black. You gonna call it the dark knight?
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #34
SOUTHERN-CJ5
1979 CJ5 

This is a great thread man. Im going to get my CJ5 safe to drive in about 3 weeks, and then next year I will start this while I'm at college. This thread is really helping me see that I can actually do this myself. I was a little worried, but now that I see that it is really easy but just time consuming I've decided to go for it. Keep this great thread going!
Unread 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #35
BigTDog
1985 CJ7 

Hey Coiz, Can you give me any info on your fuel tank? I've got donor jeep that has one just like it only not black just stainless. Do you know who makes them? Any info would be great.

Sweet build. Keep the pics coming.
BigTDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #36
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJman77 View Post
LOL I like the Black. You gonna call it the dark knight?
LOL, maybe I should. Almost everything will either be white or black. I'm thinking about adding some louvers to the hood to help with any potential heat issues from the beefed up engine and everything being black.
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #37
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Nice job, what's your address, I'm gonna ship mine to U ya to finish

Shipping form 34465

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #38
SparkyB
1979 CJ5 

Looking good! I love seeing builds like these. Although complicated it shows hows simple these Jeeps really are.
SparkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #39
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
Nice job, what's your address, I'm gonna ship mine to U ya to finish

Shipping form 34465
In my best Mini-Me, "shipping will be One Miiiiiiiiiiiiillion dollars". Or I might accept a half million dollar winter home in Florida with a covered pool and 5.5 car garage. Know someone with one of those?

I couldn't let you ship it to me, I couldn't stand seeing your beautiful rig sitting up here in the snow. My garage is already a Jeep wasteland, there is no more room. It's a balmy 12 degrees in my garage at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERN-CJ5 View Post
This is a great thread man. This thread is really helping me see that I can actually do this myself. I was a little worried, but now that I see that it is really easy but just time consuming I've decided to go for it. Keep this great thread going!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyB View Post
Looking good! I love seeing builds like these. Although complicated it shows hows simple these Jeeps really are.
Thanks for the comments. I am glad that you guys think I make it look easy. There are obviously countless hours of in between time on those pictures. My professional background gives me a little bit of an advantage too.

You are right that they are not overly complicated it is just a very time consuming process. Although it can be overwhelming at times, you just can't describe the level of satisfaction you get while standing in the garage sipping on a beer and looking at how far it has already come.

I only need a day to get it back to a rolling chassis but I need it to get into the upper 20's for my bullet heater to even have a chance at keeping me warm.

As far as recent progress on things I can do inside, I pulled apart, cleaned and re-greased all of the u-joints on my drive shafts and front axles. I actually ended up replacing the joints on the rear shaft. I think I might haul the transfer case down to the basement for a clean and reseal this afternoon. It still needs to be wire wheeled, cleaned and painted but I guess I can do that after it has been resealed.

After I had them all apart and cleaned I just decided to replace them and keep these as spares.

The girl friend just loves it when I do this stuff in the living room.

Last edited by Coiz; 01-25-2009 at 11:42 AM..
Unread 01-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #40
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
This project is looking great man! Keep up the good work!

Dave
Square Headlights group member #222
Armed Forces Jeeps group member #65
United States Air Force group member #12
Guns and Jeeps group member #10
Ron Paul Jeepers group member #7
yamaguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #41
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Front Axle U-Joints

^^^ Thanks.

Well I decided to brave the cold and try to get something done this week so I went out the garage after work to put some of the front axle back together. I used a 2000 grit sand paper to clean up the spindle bearing surface. The water from the wet sanding turned to ice on the cold metal in well under a minute. About 18*F in my garage. I had to put a little Captain in my Coke to make sure it wouldn't freeze.

After I slid the axles in, greased the spindle bearings, installed all of the seals and mounted up the spindles with brake backing plates, I turned the pinion by hand to make sure I didn't have any problems. Two and a half turns into the pinion and it started to bind up. The drivers side knuckle started trying to turn to the right with the axle. I held it under tension in the bind while I worked the knuckle back and forth. It freed up quite a bit but I could still feel a light bind. So I took both sides back apart to replace the joints with new ones. Over an hour wasted working in the cold. So I went out and bought some new u-joints.

A few days later I was able to use a press during lunch.

One down, one to go.

With the right tools I was able to change out both of these in about 20 minutes. When I got home I slid the axle into place and just held the spindle on with my hand, it turned like a dream with no more binding. I threw away the bad joint and threw the original passengers side joint in a box labeled as a spare. So now I've got 6 new u-joints and at least one spare for each type. This was a perfect time to take a picture of my front differential. Dana 30 Detroit EZ-Locker with 3.73's.

Yeah, I see the dirt. It's from before I cleaned it up. I'll pick up a Dana 44 for the front at some point but wasn't to concerned with that at this point in the build. The Dana 30 has never let me down and I'm pretty good with the skinny pedal.

I hope to get the front axle completely back together on Saturday, it's supposed to get up to 33 degrees. That means I should be able to get it over 50*'s in my garage with my heater.

Last edited by Coiz; 10-07-2009 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #42
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good keep at it!
Unread 01-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #43
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
Looking good keep at it!
I was reading through your 16 page thread earlier today. All I can say is, right back at ya! That truck is sweet.
Unread 01-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #44
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

R those grease-able front joints or .............Looks good. Got a little Captain in you EH!

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #45
black954
1978 CJ7 

Nice build! I'm in the middle of the same exact thing on my CJ. As soon as I get enough posts, i'll start my build thread.
We have similar backgrounds, jeeps, roadracing, and in northern IL. Good luck with the rebuild and keep up with the great pics.
black954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.