Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #406
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow....

Unbelievable. I just sat and read through all 400+ posts and I am just floored. Simply amazing.

I *love* the Cobra theme. I think you're right. It's just with enough taste and precision that there's no sense of "gimmicky" to it at all.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #407
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

More Buffing

^^^ Thank you for your comments and feedback. Responses like yours are what makes it worth taking all the time to document and post my progress.

More Buffing

I know you guys have been patiently waiting to see some results from the sanding and buffing so I will go through and give you some before, during and after of all the pieces. Here is the tailgate with the untouched clear coat. You should be able to pick out a little bit of the over spray speckle.

If I was trying to remove a lot of the orange peel from the panel, I would start with 1000-1200 grit sand paper then step up to 1500 and then again to 2000 grit before buffing. If there was not a lot of orange peel and the over spray speckles were my main concern, I would start out with the 1500 or 2000 grit paper. So here is a picture of the tailgate after a once over with 1200 grit sand paper. You can see how it brings out the low spots in the clear coat.

Here it is after a bit more sanding with the 1500 grit. Notice how it is a more consistent flat black now.

The entire piece sanded all the way down with 2000 grit. Notice how dull even the white looks.

Here it is after about 15 minutes with the rubbing compound.

One final picture after being polished with all three stages. This is the final product.

In this picture of the grill you can really see the over spray speckles that I'm having to remove by wet sanding. I almost forgot to take pictures, you can see where I had already started to sand with the 1500 grit.

Here is the entire grill sanded down to 2000 grit.

Here is how it looks after a couple rounds of polishing. No more over spray speckles on that piece.

A picture of the windshield frame after sanding was completed.

This is with the lower half polished and the top half still sanded dull.

A close up on the stripes so you can see the lines and how much orange peel is left even after sanding. It was not my goal to remove all the orange peel. My goal was to remove the excessive orange peel and over spray speckle to make it look as good as possible without risking having to repaint it again.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-14-2010 at 11:31 PM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #408
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Good lesson about finishes. I have painted and had orange peel and speckles before, but never knew how to fix it. Thanks for the detailed pics, Mike. I hope you spend your time blowing away GTs from stop-light to stop-light, and never take this thing off-road! It's gonna break my heart if it gets scratched!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #409
bmw91
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ive spent my whole day at work reading this and every time i have to get up to do something i just want to run back to my computer and see the progress. i cant wait to see the finished product. this is i think one of the most in depth build threads ive ever read. keep up the good work.

x2 on the whole my heart breaking if it gets scratched thing^^^
bmw91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #410
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike everything is looking great! That tailgate really looks nice. I remember you saying you bought one of Eddie's bumpers, you can't put the swing out tire carrier on it.....you'll cover up that great paint job on the tailgate!!!

Been looking forward to seeing more progress, as always you are doing top notch work.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #411
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet?

Great job. That is too awesome. I just looked through the whole thread.

Unread 08-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #412
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Stunning! I love the look of the stripes to! I might steal that for mine when I paint it! It really looks good. Its a different look for the CJ

Ben
benullman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #413
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Good lesson about finishes. I have painted and had orange peel and speckles before, but never knew how to fix it. Thanks for the detailed pics, Mike. I hope you spend your time blowing away GTs from stop-light to stop-light, and never take this thing off-road! It's gonna break my heart if it gets scratched!
Getting rid of the speckle is easy and in turn knocks down a considerable amount of the orange peel. If you ever want something show car glass smooth, plan on sanding it down and reapplying clear coat a couple times over. You have to pace yourself when sanding, the last thing you want to do is break through the clear.

In 1997, right after I got the engine installed and when it was still stock before the GT40 heads and Cobra rockers, I pulled a few roll-ons against a friend in a 1997 Mustang GT. Starting around 15 mph, I would pull on him pretty hard until I had to shift into 4th gear after that he would come by. The NP435 shifts like a truck transmission, go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw91 View Post
ive spent my whole day at work reading this and every time i have to get up to do something i just want to run back to my computer and see the progress. i cant wait to see the finished product. this is i think one of the most in depth build threads ive ever read. keep up the good work.

x2 on the whole my heart breaking if it gets scratched thing^^^
Thanks for the comments and I'm glad I was able to reduce the overall productivity of "Enter Business Name Here".

I hate to break both of your hearts but it has its' first scratch already. While standing outside the Jeep and leaning in through the driver's side door opening to work on the parking brake assembly, my belt loop was rubbing through my T-shirt and I didn't realize it was a problem until long after I was finished. It is not that bad and I can probably get most of it out through more sanding and buffing but it's right in the area where your foot goes on the nerf bar to step in and out the Jeep. I'm sure that area is going to see its' fair share of scratches over the years so I'm not going to stress over it. I had to point it out to my friends so it is relatively minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Mike everything is looking great! That tailgate really looks nice. I remember you saying you bought one of Eddie's bumpers, you can't put the swing out tire carrier on it.....you'll cover up that great paint job on the tailgate!!!

Been looking forward to seeing more progress, as always you are doing top notch work.
The tailgate does look good and covering it up would be a shame. I'll wait to get the bumper installed then see how much work it is to get the tire carrier on and off. I should really only "need" the spare when I am going on a trip and would rather not carry the extra weight while just around town but if it is too involved to get the carrier on and off, I will likely just leave it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
Is it done yet, is it done yet, is it done yet?
Great job. That is too awesome. I just looked through the whole thread.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
Stunning! I love the look of the stripes to! I might steal that for mine when I paint it! It really looks good. Its a different look for the CJ
Ben
Thank you. The stripes were quite a bit of work but I think they're worth it in the end.

I'm brewing beer today so no work on the Jeep but I'll try to get some pictures of the fenders and tub posted during my short breaks I'll get while brewing.
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #414
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Front Fenders

Here are some before and after of the front fenders. Here is a picture of the driver's side clear coat finish. As you can see, even painting inside a booth will not eliminate the orange peel, over spray and dirt. They are all just greatly reduced.

Sanded with 1500 grit you can still pick out a lot of low spots in the orange peel.

Sanded down to 2000 grit has a consistent dull.

It looks like it's never been sprayed with clear coat.

One more showing zero reflection is left.

Here it is after a bit of buffing. Can you pick out the skinny white guy holding a camera with a polisher in his lap?

I haven't finished buffing the fenders with all three stages so they are not quite as shiny as the rest but you can already see the difference after buffing.

One last picture of the top surface, you can really see the difference in how smooth it is as compared to the first photo.

Here is the passengers side sanded down.

One more showing the top of the fender.

Another one after some buffing.

You can see this section doesn't quite have the level of gloss as the rest so it still needs a little more work.

I only hit the fenders with the rubbing compound and will hit them with the final two stages once I get closer to putting them on. I'm just trying to space out some of the tedious work when I can. I think the pictures of the tub will reveal the true testament of the 3M three stage Perfect-It System. I'll try to post them up in a bit. Time to dough in on 12.5 gallons of American Wheat.
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #415
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That looks simply amazing.
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #416
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Coiz, something about a new vehicle or paint job in this case, that says "Stupid Here"... Then you tell youself, "I know that would happen, what was I thinking????"....... I had a couple on mine putting together.. I can't believe I did that!!!!!!!! Like everyone says, it is going to get scratched so might as well get it done right away and quit worrying... By the way, looking great....
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #417
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Alex and Calvin. You're right. One of my friends said "You know your just going to get a big rock chip on the maiden voyage anyway, don't sweat it". The sad part is, I know he is right.
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #418
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Thanks Alex and Calvin. You're right. One of my friends said "You know your just going to get a big rock chip on the maiden voyage anyway, don't sweat it". The sad part is, I know he is right.
Oh well. Just makes sure you have lots of high quality pictures right after you finish putting it back together before you drive it.
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #419
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I mashed in 10# of 2-Row and 10# of Wheat at 150 degrees. It held to 149 after a 60 minute mash. The ~150 water activates the enzymes in the grain which turns the starches into sugar. That sugar is what the yeast eats to make alcohol and CO2.

Here is about 14 gallons of wort that has been boiling for 10 minutes. I just added 1oz of Northern Brewer hops and started my 60 minute timer for the boil.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-15-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #420
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Brewing - Double Time

The American Wheat got an ounce of Centennial hops at 10 minutes and another at 0 minutes. The brew went pretty well and I hit my standard 82% efficiency.

Call me crazy but while the first batch was boiling I started mashing another one. This beer is a an American Pale Ale with Magnum, Columbus, Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Should only be around 60 IBU.

A friend stopped by for a beer and to see how the brewing was going. While talking about the Jeep, the build thread came up and he asked if all of you knew what I looked like and I told him no. Well, here I am after almost nine hours of brewing 25 gallons worth of beer. Not my best picture but...

It was a long day but at least now I have some beer in the works for my fridge. Here they are in the utility room with the yeast pitched and blow off tubes. It will be at least another 3 weeks before they are fermented, kegged and carbonated.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-16-2010 at 12:04 AM..

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.