Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #376
hold24

1978 CJ7 

Thats funny...That's my truck too a tee but I have a 2.5 icon suspension system on mine. I would love the x plan deal. I'll take you up on that. That is a big cow.......

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
hold24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #377
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Ah the memories! I ran a track R6 for years. man i miss that bike.
A 40 ft. cliff ate mine in the N Ga mtns. nearly ate me too.

thats a great pic of the gixxer. no chicken strips on those tires huh?!

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #378
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
A 40 ft. cliff ate mine in the N Ga mtns. nearly ate me too.

Not to get too off topic but the guy referenced in the pictures above did the same thing in Deal's Gap right in front of me. Front end tuck in a right hand turn. I watched him disappear while sliding on his back going head first off a forty foot hill into the woods that was probably a 30% downhill grade. That image is forever burned into my memory. The first thought that popped into my head was the phone call I was going to have to make to his wife, they had a four month old baby at the time. Somehow someway he split two deadly trees and basically cartwheeled to the bottom of the wooded hill. He moved a basketball sized rock about 10 inches with his back where he had finally stopped. He walked away with some serious bruising but otherwise unhurt. That was a big eye opener and really put things into perspective. The bikes gas tank taco-ed around a tree and actually took most of the damage. We had about ten guys from the local campground help us pull it out, which took over an hour, and none of them could believe that he walked away after seeing the evidence of the accident. I've got pictures but not going to post them here. Shortly after that I took up racing and haven't really rode on the street since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
thats a great pic of the gixxer. no chicken strips on those tires huh?!
Thanks. Nah, can't find those around here. It's the exact opposite, the sides are bald and the middle still has 85% of the tread left. I'm sure you've seen the stack of tires in random pictures throughout the build.

I'll at least try to get somewhat back on topic. Here is a comparison of the grills between the CJ7 and the tow vehicle. Just a little difference in size.

Last edited by Coiz; 07-30-2010 at 06:05 PM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #379
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
THAT!!! Is a totally cool picture! But GOSH what an ugly truck!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #380
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Raptor Round 2

To get the thread back on track, I got the tub back on the frame and all of the body mounts in place so it should be positioned right where it needs to be. I wanted to get the lips of the tub covered in Raptor as well as the first couple inches of the firewall, both front fenders, tailgate and the bottom two and a half inches of the roll bar legs. I sanded all of the areas I was going to spray with 120 grit paper then cleaned with my paint pre-clean. Next I had to tape off all the parts. Here is the tub all taped off.

Here is the firewall taped off.

Driver's side fender taped off.

Passenger's side fender.

The roll bar taped off.

I started spraying with the inside of the tub at the base of the firewall.

Sprayed the first coat on the tub lips.

Another angle of the other side.

I sprayed the feet of the roll bar. I hung it up to get a single coat on the bottoms of the feet. The next coat I set it down and tilted it onto the back legs so I could get under the front ones.

Engine side of the fender well.

A solid coat on the inner wheel wells.

I got the entire inside and outer lip of the tailgate.

Once they had the chance to cure a little bit I started removing the tape trying to get the finest lines as possible. Here is the finished firewall.

Unwrapping a fender.

A nice shot of them outside.

Here is how the tailgate turned out.

Last but not least, the driver's side of the tub.

A nice view of the passenger's side.

I would have to say the lines turned out pretty nice. I also sprayed my rear inner fender supports so I can get my EVAP parts installed now too. I've been doing some wet sanding on the body parts and trying to get other miscellaneous tasks accomplished. Hopefully I should have a few more interesting things to post on over the next couple of days.
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #381
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You've heard all the words before. I can think of nothing else to say! It is positively beautiful, Mike! One Helluva job!! The B&W contrast is probably as good as I've ever seen. One thing that caught my eye when I looked at the tailgate pic... the shadow from the edge of the innner panel (don't know how else to describe it) looked for a moment like you had done a very fine pinstripe around the edge of the tailgate. I think that would look really good if done conservatively ... like maybe just below the Raptor line around the tub.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #382
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike,

I just re-read your thread again! If only I could print and bind it all together would I have great reading material for the "library"...thanks again for your detailed posts!

Mike
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #383
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
It is positively beautiful, Mike! One Helluva job!! The B&W contrast is probably as good as I've ever seen. ...a very fine pinstripe around the edge of the tailgate. I think that would look really good if done conservatively ... like maybe just below the Raptor line around the tub.
Thanks Mike and Scott.

Hey Scott,
That is an interesting idea. I would have to add the pinstriping last so I might take a look at that once I get it back together. I've already got a couple rolls of black pinstriping on hand.
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #384
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Look's awesome! A plan beats the "X"plan! gotta insider!
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #385
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
Look's awesome! A plan beats the "X"plan! gotta insider!
Nice. Yes the 'A' plan does beat the 'X' but I can only give 'A' plan to immediate family. Friends and neighbors get the 'X' plan. The good thing is the 'X' plan price is set by Ford so the dealer can not raise the price on you. Then with the lower set price, all of the rebates and financing options still apply.

I'm headed out the garage for a day of three step 3M polishing. Anything that says 3M is expensive but it sure seems to work pretty good.
Unread 07-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #386
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

You'll really appreciate having sprayed bedliner on your bedrails/door sills. I've been using mine hard, loading unloading stuff, and my door sills etc show zero signs of wear.

Raptor rules plain and simple.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #387
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Sanding the Clear Coat

I had one pretty good sized run and about three really small ones in the clear coat. I had put on a third coat to get thicker coverage so I would have more material to work with in case I had to wet sand. Well, that third thicker coat is what caused me to have to wet sand. Here is the main run with a little bit of solvent pop right above it.

I wet sanded out the run with 1000, then 1500 and finished with 2000. By the time the run was gone that area was perfectly smooth while the rest of the Jeep had the typical orange peel. I had to be careful not to break through the clear or that equals more painting which I really didn't want to do. I obviously tried to do the majority of the wet sanding before I sprayed the rails with Raptor.

To keep the finish consistent I decided to wet sand the entire vehicle to knock the high spots off the clear. Here I am working down the side giving it a good once over with 1500 grit.

A close up still shows the shiny spots that need just a bit more sanding. Sure seems like every time I take a step forward I have to take two steps back. Always leave the edges for last as it is really easy to remove paint from an edge, you don't want to break through the clear.

Here is how the front cowl stripes look after a once over with the 1500. Just a few more spots to sand to get it flat.

Here is a good sequence of the rear stripes. This picture is the untouched clear coat.

The left side after about 45 seconds with 1500 grit. This was pretty smooth to begin with.

Both sides sanded to where all the high spots are removed.

Now that all the high spots have been removed, all the dirt nibs are gone and the amount of orange peel is significantly reduced. If you were going for a show car finish at this point you would have sanded smooth with 1000 grit, sprayed three more coats of clear, sand completely smooth with 1000, two more coats of clear then sand smooth with 1000 to 1500 to 2000 grit. I'm not going for a show car glass finish so I'll be happy with where I'm at and start buffing. I bought the 3M Perfect-IT 3 step buff and polish system. It has a first step rubbing compound, second step spot and swirl remover and a third step Ultra-Fine polish. Each of the compounds comes with a specific applicator pad. Notice the pad colors match the tops of the bottles. That's $200 sitting on that tailgate.

Now I don't want to give away too much because I'm just getting going but here is a picture taken off the reflection of the right side rear black stripe. This has only been buffed with the first of the three steps. Notice the small blurry spot where the motorcycle windshield meets with the tree.

Here is a picture focused in on the actual paint. Notice the scratches that were causing the blurry spot in the reflection.

Wet sand that out with some 2000 grit paper.

One last shot after being hit again with the first step rubbing compound. Notice the blurry spot is now gone. Remember I still have two more stages worth of buffing to go.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-03-2010 at 11:59 PM..
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #388
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Looking great Mike..... Lots of work and it is really showing now... The buffing is very slow and very cautious to not go through the clear.. Even though you feel good about the thickness, you can cut through it in a heartbeat if not careful..... It is going to be one first class ride when finished.......
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #389
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

What kind of gun did you use to spray the raptor? What size tip and at what PSI?
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #390
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

fantastic! I can't wait to see that Jeep with a little mud on there...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.