Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 07-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #361
Dustlander
1979 CJ7 

wow ive looked at this build when it came to the top but finally sat down and read it amazing attention to detail, this is an awesome cj

Dustlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #362
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Very sick CJ you got going here man. I envy your CJ7. This almost describes exactly what i want in a 7 some day.

Did you ever consider doing the black stripes on the dash just like the exterior? Was just thinking that might be something cool
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #363
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

It all looks so great. AWESOME

I have come back to your thread here to gander at the hood louvers a few times. They are really nicely done.
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #364
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm really jealous. Wish I had another vehicle and a garage to tear everything down to repaint the frame! looks good man.
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #365
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for all of the great feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLY348 View Post
Did you ever consider doing the black stripes on the dash just like the exterior? Was just thinking that might be something cool
I did for about a half a second. With the roll bar white I figured it might look funny if it wasn't also striped and there was no way in hell I was going to tape that thing off. I figured the dash has a lot of stuff going on as it is and the edges of the stripes would have fallen in weird positions. I have all white faced gauges with black bezels so I think it will come together nicely.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #366
jakesiegel
1978 CJ7 

Wow!!!

Just read your whole thread during one of my boring Army classes. I didn't realize while I was reading that you weren't completely finished and now even feels more real to me. Keep up the Awesome Job!!!
jakesiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #367
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

i like the paint looks real good
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #368
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Paint Booth Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesiegel View Post
Just read your whole thread during one of my boring Army classes. I didn't realize while I was reading that you weren't completely finished and now even feels more real to me. Keep up the Awesome Job!!!
Another first post, I love it. It is definitely real and getting closer to being finished. Two and a half years worth of work finally coming together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjensen View Post
i like the paint looks real good
Thanks.

Paint Booth Oven:

I thought it would be kind of cool to give you a few details about the paint booth for those of you who have never been exposed to one before. Here is a picture of it in spray mode, notice the green light. This means the internal fan is on and you can spray at any time. Note the two temperature readings. The bottom number is the set temperature of 75. The top number is the actual booth temperature. Since it is only an oven and not an A/C that means I was painting at 93 degrees inside the booth with the fans running.

Here is right when I turned on the oven, notice the yellow light instead of the green. The set temperature is 160 degrees for baking. Also notice the small timer in the upper left, that is set to 2 which equals 20 minutes.

Notice the timer is now down to 18 minutes and the oven is already at 171 degrees. That's what you call some serious BTU's! Right now your thinking, if its set to 160 degrees than why is it at 171 degrees? The reason is because there is a buffer built in on the expectation that the car or panels inside the booth are going to absorb that initial heat.

In this last picture you can see the timer is at 16 minutes and the booth has stabilized at ~160 degrees. It stayed within one degree for the next 16 minutes. I would have to say it was pretty impressive at how fast it worked.

Once the timer was up, the oven shut off and the fan continued to run to pull the temperature back down. I walked in there around 120 degrees to take a look at the parts and they were pretty darn warm to the touch. Even though the baking process helps evaporate the solvents and the hardeners to cure, the paint is still considered soft. So it is safe to handle but you want to be pretty careful with it for several hours. I opted to let most of the parts sit overnight and picked them up the next morning. I hope this provides a little insight into paint booths for those of you who have never had the chance to see one.
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #369
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike- What is your proposed time schedule at this point? How did you transport the pieces to a paint booth? You're getting real close, Bud. I've GOT to see this beast with the stripe!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #370
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I took all the pieces back and forth to the paint booth with my Truck, yeah that's a capitol T. I'm currently driving a 2011 Lariat F250 6.7L Diesel Super Duty, it's a hoss and I love it. Currently averaging almost 19 mpg overall and it's not even close to being broken in with only 4000 miles. Here's the day I picked it up. 390HP 735lb/ft of torque.

I made two separate trips to the booth. The first time the roll bar was on my 5x8 tilt trailer with the rest of the parts in the bed or the cab. The next time I borrowed a 7x10 flat aluminum snow mobile trailer to haul the tub and the rest of what I took was in the bed or cab again. Here is the tub at 7AM just before heading to the booth.

As far as my time schedule, that is a tricky question indeed. Now is when all the small details have to fall into place. I have to wet sand and buff the entire Jeep before I can start installing the hard parts. I need to spray Raptor on the lips of the tub, front fenders and tailgate. I have to find some of those little springs for my heater case doors, all the nuts and bolts for mounting everything needs to be purchased then color coordinated with paint. I need to paint my GroundPounder rear bumper with tire carrier and all of those related parts. I still need to order my side body pin-striping and the tailgate weatherstrip. I need to paint all of my small pieces black i.e. fender flares, headlight bezels, windshield hinges, mirror mounts, brake light housings, fuel filler, ect.,. Then there is actual assembly and installation of all these parts. I need to make a new trans tunnel cover, install the windshield in the frame, install my twin sticks, install my HD steering box mount and I still need to extend the clutch rod by an inch. I need to finish assembling the engine. Next comes the wiring of the body, engine and stereo. Let's not forget the hood needs another couple coats of clear. I was thinking about buying some new wheels but now think I might just keep what I've got and repaint them white or black. Buying the 35's will probably be the last thing I do.

So as you can see I still have a laundry list of things to do that never seems to get any shorter and I obviously left a lot of little things out. My birthday is next week and I was planning to take the end of this week off and the first two days of next week to try and hammer a lot of this back together but the last of the painting is what is really going to hold me back. Not to mention work has been piling in so it looks like I will just have to work the rest of the week and try to get a lot of the sanding and buffing done after work and try to get some painting done over the weekend.

With everything I have left to do I'm really torn on trying to hammer this out to get it done by this fall or just taking it slow, enjoy what's left of the summer and just plan on driving it next spring. I am excited to get it done but am also on the edge of getting burned out. That's a really fine line I've been walking for some time now. Another thought is even if I do get it drivable by say mid September, that only gives me maybe 6 weeks to drive it before winter sets in. Is that even worth it to license and insure it this year or would I be better off just waiting until next spring?

I'm going to just keep plugging away and try not to stress out over it.
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #371
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post

Is that even worth it to license and insure it this year or would I be better off just waiting until next spring?
I spy a Suzuki, 01/02? I like it, was it the same one I saw earlier in the thread?

As to answer your question, I would just enjoy your summer since you have a track bike might as well enjoy it at the track for the summer. Insurance probably won't be terrible for you price wise, and its usually a good thing to have. If I was you I would consider full coverage since you essentially have a new jeep.

Either way you decide best of luck to you.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #372
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
I spy a Suzuki, 01/02? I like it, was it the same one I saw earlier in the thread?
It is a 2001 GSXR750 and is different than the one posted earlier. The bike posted earlier was the 2001 R6 we use to endurance race. The GSXR is the bike I won all six of my amateur championships on. This is what you call trail braking(braking while leaned over) and what separates the men from the boys. Entering turn 5 at Barber Motorsports Park.

She is getting a little outdated but still runs good and I still have a spare engine for it in the corner of the garage. I would love to have a new bike with a slipper clutch and radial mounted brakes but can't justify the cost of upgrading to a newer bike when I only get to ride it a couple times a year. A weekend at the track is an expensive endeavor on its' own and averages about a $800-1000. There is a sentimental value to the bike as well which my trophy hutch behind my desk reminds me of every day. All of the little motorcycle guys are first places, the tall ones are from the National rounds and all the plaques are 2nd and 3rd place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
As to answer your question, I would just enjoy your summer since you have a track bike might as well enjoy it at the track for the summer. Insurance probably won't be terrible for you price wise, and its usually a good thing to have. If I was you I would consider full coverage since you essentially have a new jeep.

Either way you decide best of luck to you.
I'm just going to keep plugging away at the Jeep and see where I'm at in a few weeks. If I think I can pull it off for this summer then I will get insurance and plate it so I can drive it around. Otherwise I will just hold off until next spring to license and insure since I obviously won't be driving it in the winter.

I was going to look in full insurance with actual replacement value instead of whatever blue book says. I've heard stories of guys with $20k rigs getting $4500 checks because that's what the blue book says its' worth.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-15-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #373
hold24

1978 CJ7 

I went with a replacement value policy for 25k....Thanks for the compliments on my post. I've been watching your thread. Your work is fantastic...can't wait to see it finished. I love your truck tooo.....I'm jealous. I have a 08 king ranch superduty with just 15k on it. I'm sure you know my MPG a wonderful 13mpg. I just can't come off the hip for a new one right now. Enjoy that truck.

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
hold24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #374
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold24 View Post
I went with a replacement value policy for 25k....Thanks for the compliments on my post. I've been watching your thread. Your work is fantastic...can't wait to see it finished. I love your truck tooo.....I'm jealous. I have a 08 king ranch superduty with just 15k on it. I'm sure you know my MPG a wonderful 13mpg. I just can't come off the hip for a new one right now. Enjoy that truck.
That's the insurance I will look into once I add up my receipts.

I had an 08 F250 King Ranch with the 6.4L and would average around 16.4 mpg in that truck. I probably do 80/20 highway/city driving. I really like the white and tan two tone King Ranch edition and the leather interior is really nice. That was a sweet ride. Look me up when it comes time for a new one and I'll hook you up with the X-Plan. This is when I had a friend come up from Memphis to ride our bikes at Road America. He wanted to take pictures of himself with every big cow statue we saw in WI. I think we saw seven or eight of them over the weekend.

Last edited by Coiz; 07-30-2010 at 12:30 AM..
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #375
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

I'm so envious i want a 2011 superduty. it looks nice

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.