Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #346
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I forgot to give you guys a picture of the dash after two coats of clear coat.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:57 AM   #347
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Mike, man that looks great now.... Definitely big improvement over shooting in your garage... That will be one sweet ride when she is running again.....
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #348
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Main Tub

I had pretty much hand sanded the entire tub with 800 grit and would have to say it was looking pretty dang nice. I needed just enough white to cover the imperfections and sanding marks. The black stripes were fine so I just taped those off. Here is the driver's side ready for a fresh coat of paint. Notice the gun in the background.

Nice shot of the passenger's side.

Here it is after the first coat of white.

Here it is after two coats of white with the tape removed and ready to be sprayed with clear coat.

Driver's side ready for clear coat.

After the first coat of clear.

Pretty nice shot of the rear.

Shot down the passenger quarter panel.

A nice picture of the front cowl after the fist coat.

I had enough paint to put three coats on the tub so I did. This will give me more material to work with for sanding and buffing if needed. Here it is after three full coats. The pictures all looked about the same so no need to overload you. I did get two small runs in the tub that I'll show how to sand out later.
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:08 AM   #349
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Looks great Mike..... Shooting the clear heavy enough to flow out really gets you close to running... That was my problem on the couple of runs I had.... You can shoot and looks great, good coverage, no orange peel, come back later and wow where did that come from????? I guess that is where the experience factor comes in....
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #350
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Your persistence is paying off. It now shows the detail you put into getting the surfaces ready and how nice they turned out. I bet your really relieved now. I would be, shoot I am and it aint even mine.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #351
1983 CJ7 

Very nice Mike
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #352
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys. Yeah Calvin that's exactly what happened. I got two solid coats on and decided to use up the clear and put on a third. I gave it an extra five minutes of flash time and sprayed the third coat. Walked around it twice and everything looked good so I turned on the oven. I went back the next day to pick it up and was like WTH, where did that come from? It was right in the area where I was spraying the rear quarter panel left to right above the wheel opening then switched to up and down right behind the passenger's side door. Where my strokes overlapped is where the runs developed.

Of course I had to sand out the run so when I did, it made that little section perfectly flat and smooth as glass while the rest has the typical amounts of orange peel. Looks like I might be wet sanding, buffing and polishing the entire Jeep if I want it all to match. An extra couple days of labor I wasn't planning on doing but should look like a show car by the time I'm done.
Unread 07-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #353
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The Hood

The last piece to detail the painting with clear coat is the hood. I had sprayed the bottom with clear and baked it dry then flipped it over to coat the top side. This is after I had sanded off most of the clear from my garage and touched up a few color areas. Here it is ready to be sprayed.

Here it is after two solid coats of clear.

From another angle.

Here is a nice shot of the hood out in the sun. I'm really liking that white!

Unfortunately there was something I missed before I sprayed it with clear. Once I was done and got it out in the sun, I noticed a little white over spray on one of the stripes. I didn't get any pictures of it before I started to sand it off but here it is after the clear coat had been scuffed in that area so I can use an airbrush to touch up the area with black.

So now the entire hood will have to be re-cleared once I get the black touched up with the airbrush. Kind of sucks but not that big of a deal. There is no reason why it shouldn't look as good as in the picture where it is in the back of my truck when I'm done. I just put the hood in a spare bedroom and will forget about it for a while. Sometime over the next couple of months I'll get back to the paint booth to knock that out. I don't need the hood until the very end of assembly so I'm not in any rush to get it done. I'm pretty much sick of dealing with paint at this point and looking forward to working on something different. I might try to plan the last paint booth trip to finish the hood so I can also spray the last of my accessory parts like the fender flares, headlight bezels, hood hinges, etc.,. I had planed to just paint the small parts at home since they are easier to work with but if I have to make another trip to the booth I might as well take full advantage of it.
Unread 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #354
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I am really envious. It is a beautiful build, Mike. The hood looks amazing with the louvers.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #355
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

i just spent a decent part of my day reading your build lol, i must say you've done a damn good job!
ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #356
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Can't wait to see it put together! Stop biting your nails!
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #357
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Yes Mother. I do that when I'm stressed out. As you can tell I have nothing to stress over.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Last edited by Coiz; 07-24-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Unread 07-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #358
1983 CJ7 

Moving the hood out of sight and switching gears is a smart move, just make sure you don't exceed the pot life of the leftover paint or you will have to order more...now how would I know that

The white looks very nice in the sun, it would look a hellava lot better if that was my hood
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #359
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

dang. probably looks better than the paint did when it rolled out of the factory
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #360
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWulf View Post
dang. probably looks better than the paint did when it rolled out of the factory
Looks better than the paint did on my TJ when it rolled out of the assembly line, and will likely last a lot longer.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.