Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #331
1983 CJ7 

I bet you feel a lot better now

Looks great

Unread 07-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #332
geochaf1

1984 CJ7 

All I can say is wow!
geochaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #333
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

No more worries with those parts!! They look great. While I was looking through the new pictures I thought to myself that I bet most people don't bother to clear cote the roll cage, which looks outstanding like the rest of the parts. You got the tub done yet???? Come on Mike lets see this thing all together. I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #334
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys. It is a little comforting to know that several pieces are completely done and will only need a couple minutes of buff and polish. I thought this was a pretty cool picture after a long day of painting.

Last edited by Coiz; 07-14-2010 at 09:59 AM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #335
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Ecellent Mike, that looks great...... Yeap.. great feeling after a bad start..... Your Jeep will be one fine looking ride!!!!!
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #336
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Congratulations, Mike! That is tremendous. Besides the excellent work, you have provided a model of perserverance for all of us. Consider this an official pat-on-the-back!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #337
ktwnxj
1987 XJ Cherokee 

wow is all i have to say.
just read through 23 pages today (yeah, i was bored) but man, you have done some amazing work for a guy just working out of his garage. the quality and attention to detail that you have put into this CJ is simply amazing. and even though you hit the snags like everyone else, it happens to the best of us and you were able to push through them and get this thing looking amazing. I cant wait to see it all put together!!!!
Suscibed and Crawled.
ktwnxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #338
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments. I've wondered how long it would take to read it from start to finish. I'm sure most people just browse through the pictures and miss all the details. To think I crammed the first year of work into the first two pages. I wonder how long it would be if I had documented it from the very beginning? My Jeep.doc file is up to page 80 and I'm sitting on right around 6,000 photos. Still a lot of work to go. Sometimes I'll catch myself going back and reading through the thread and think to myself, if I was out working on the Jeep right now instead of staring at this computer and reminiscing on what's already been done, I could have scratched one more task off the list.

My next update should have have some much better photos and I'll try to get that tailgate and grill out into the sun this weekend for some better pictures. You can't see any of the gloss in those booth photos and the one taken in my basement sucks. I have a feeling your going to like the next set of pictures.

Last edited by Coiz; 07-16-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Unread 07-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #339
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Isn't amazing what a few days and good results do for the spirit Mike. Yes we're all looking forward to seeing the next set of pictures. You've put more labor into your Jeep but you've got allot more than most of us realize invested in time in making this thread. I was working on a Jeep project the other day and had in mind to start a thread of my own and in doing so took pictures as I did the work. I thought to myself of the guys like you that put so much into the entire project and then take the time to post the progress. It's allot of work!! As I've said before, many thanks for all of your effort!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #340
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Front Fenders

The front fenders were sanded down with 800 grit to remove the fist attempt at clear coat and to get rid of all the dirt nibs and sweatshirt hairs. Here is the driver's side fender after it was all cleaned up and ready to be sprayed with another coat of white.

Here it is after a second coat of white and now ready for the clear coat.

Here is the gun all loaded up with 800ml of clear coat.

Here is as after the first coat of clear.

Another angle.

Here it is after the second and final coat. I know I'm going to be tempted to wet sand and buff that panel but we'll see what it looks like after it has a couple weeks to cure.

Overall, I would have to say I am very pleased with the finish.

Here is the passenger's side after it had been sprayed with two more coats of white.

Kind of a crappy angle but here it is after the first coat of clear.

Another angle after the first coat. Notice the fairly heavy orange peel in the lower right area. I fix that during the second coat.

Here it is after the second and final coat of clear. No more orange peel on that panel.

After the front fenders the only major parts left to paint were the hood and the tub. I would have to say the clear coat came out much nicer than what I was dealing with while trying to paint in the home garage.
Unread 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #341
1983 CJ7 

Great job Mike!!!!!

I am looking forward to spraying color but I have a long way to go. It is too hot right now but I hope to finish the bodywork by October and temps should be down in the 80's by then.
Unread 07-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #342
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I'll buy the beer if you come on over and show me how to spray my pile!!
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #343
wifflesniffle
1985 CJ7 

Mike

Looking good. When do you think it will see the road? (on it's own power). I'm glad the vents worked out.

Matt
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #344
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Yeah Dave,
Too hot to paint means too hot to do body work, I don't envy you right now. Those stripped parts looked great by the way.

Jeepsterjc,
Are you in IL? Creston is not too far from here. I just checked out your build, pretty sweet.

Matt,
I'm really tempted to take a week off and slam most of it back together but since it is already the middle of July and I haven't really had the chance to enjoy summer, I was considering just taking my time with it and shoot for next spring. Thanks again for the defroster ducts.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #345
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I'm dying to see this assembled. I don't care if it runs!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.