Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #316
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm getting oh so close to being done. The plan as of now is to be completely done with all the main body panels on July 10th. After that should only be some small black parts and my bumpers.

Skerr,
You crack me up. That was funny.

Ned,
I just hope all my clear comes out as nice as the pictures of the hood and fenders you posted. Those looked great.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #317
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Attempting Clear Coat

Alright, so at this point I had most of the pieces painted with color and ready for clear coat. I have painted a lot of motorcycle bodywork and know just how sticky clear coat is but they are obviously much smaller panels and a lot easier to work with. Remember earlier when I said I had originally only wanted to paint the pieces with black and white and was going to save all of the solid white pieces for later but decided to paint them anyway? Well, when it came time to paint clear these few extra pieces kind of cluttered up my area and made the space a little tight to work in. This came back to haunt me as I was weaving in and around parts as well as having to pay extra attention to where my air hose was going. This also caused a lot of extra over spray on any pieces behind the one I was spraying at the time. I started with a single coat on the tailgate, fenders, hood, grill and the tub. I was going to spray a light covering first coat then follow up the full wet gloss second coat. I started with the tailgate which looked pretty good after the first coat.

The passenger's side fender was a little glossy after the first coat.

The driver's side fender was also looking pretty good after the initial spray.

I put a coat on the hood and then one on the grill.

This is where the problems started to arise. Since all of the parts were so close together, I accidentally backed into the freshly painted hood while spraying the first coat on the tub. This left a nasty dirt print on the side of the hood. Here is a close up of the spot. This entire picture is just a little bit bigger than the palm of my hand. Also notice the little piece of hair in the lower right corner.

Knowing I couldn't do much about the dirt print on the hood I finished the coat on the tub. Only after I was done did I notice all the other specs that were getting kicked up onto the lower edge of the tub.

All of those specs werenít coming from dirt in the air or off of the floor, it was getting kicked off the plastic I had used to mask off the Raptor on the tub before I started painting.

That is the same plastic I had applied before I sprayed the primer, wet sanded and then painted the white. The air pressure from the gun was flaking the paint off the plastic and putting it right into the clear. The lesson learned here was to apply new masking before spraying the clear. Hopefully this will keep someone reading this from repeating my mistake. After going back and looking at the passenger's side fender, I noticed quite a bit of dirt in the paint. I think this was from trying to do too much at once. You really need to spray a coat and leave the area rather than moving around to work on other pieces right next to it. I wasn't worried about the orange peel because the first coat was sprayed light intentionally but the amount of dirt was simply unacceptable so at this point I quit spraying and had to come up with plan B.

I had to let the parts cure before I could do anything with them so disgusted with the results, I gave up for the day. The next morning I started taking a closer inspection of all the panels which revealed I had quite a few of those little hairs, the one I noted in the hood dirt print photo, were in just about every piece I had sprayed. It took me a little while to figure out where these came from but I eventually determined the hair was fibers that had came from the inside of the sweatshirt I was wearing while painting. Lesson learned here was to wear lint free clothing.

If that wasn't bad enough, here is where another wrench gets thrown into the scene. Since I had only sprayed one light coat, it was pretty easy to sand most of it smooth with some 1000 grit paper. I tried to only sand it enough to remove the dirt specs but in some places I broke through the clear and into the white. Since my first few coats of white were Oxford and the main color is High Performance, a few of the spots I had to sand pretty deep to remove the dirt and got all the way into the Oxford white. So now I had a few areas that needed to be touched up with more HP white. More work, more time, more headaches and more heartbreak. I took pictures of this but there is not really a lot to see. I had to tape off the black, air brush the spots with white and scuff them up before shooting more clear. Before I wanted to attempt the clear coat again I had to either come up with a better procedure to only spray a few pieces at a time or a better place to spray. So my first attempt at clear coating the Jeep was an, in every sense of the currently overused term, "Epic Failure".

Last edited by Coiz; 07-12-2010 at 05:49 PM..
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #318
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You've had a tough go of it my friend. Sorry to hear about the problems. I have a feeling that you're going to get it just the way you want, you have thus far!! Looking forward to more progress.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #319
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Mike- You have worked so hard and you've had the patience of Job. It's time to regroup. Don't get in a hurry to see the end result. Get your booth straight and paint a few pieces at a time. We're all as anxious as you must be feeling, and it is heartbreaking to see you have these problems so close to payoff. Walk away for the weekend. Come back to it next week. Give yourself a break... doctor's orders! Don't you have some micro-brews that need sampling??

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #320
1983 CJ7 

Mike,

We don't know you like you know yourself, if you know you will not be happy with the current finish or the spot repairs re-spray it. (In the voice of that goofy *** guy on the Staples commercial) I KNOW....it is more money, more time and more work.

Re-spraying the tub and panels piece by piece would overwhelm me too, not to mention tick me off to know end so look at this from another angle. Since you have color and clear coated all the panels and tub, you might consider reassembling the parts, wet sanding the clear and re-applying the color and clear coat. Painting the exterior visible surfaces will be a lot easier than panel by panel.

If you have put 10K in the Jeep and you are faced with an additional 350.00 and 60 hours of work, that is a very small cost in the grand scheme to achieve perfection.
Unread 07-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #321
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I went back and reviewed this thread from the beginning. You have come a long way since the then. You are still far ahead of where you started. The paint problems are serious, but nothing that can't be overcome. In the end you'll end up with great-looking paint and a new level of knowledge and skill.
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #322
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike,

I am envious of your skills, patience and determination...Dave's last comment is a good one...I have always said "don't rush an artist" and you qualify...good luck...

Mike
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #323
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Mike,
Just got in from the farm and started reading your mishaps on the clear.. What a bummer Personally, I am envious of someone that can shoot base and clear in a garage and not have a lot is issues of stuff falling out of the sky, blowing off the floor, etc... I thought with my spray booth all that stuff would not exist.. Man, was I wrong, it is amazing where stuff comes from when you start painting!!!! I agree with Dave and since you have the joints base coated, then I would mount fender on the tub. Block the clear and reshoot the top base and then clear... The real pain is replacing the masking after each shooting. I thought painting each part by itself would be easier but after not getting enough base, shooting it all together seemed to work better for me. I know it is sickening when you have all those hours in preping the body for paint and then something screws it up..... Take a break and regroup will help on your determination to get the job done with good results...
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #324
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Mike, take a look at these disposable coveralls for your painting... They are cheap and are really great to use when painting... I bought 3 of them to paint and only used 2 for the entire job... They worked great and only cost about $5.00 each.....

https://www.galeton.com/webapp/wcs/s...ProductDisplay
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #325
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I know it will all work out in the end. It is just a little heartbreaking and very frustrating to have to do the same job over and over again. You have no idea how sick I am of sanding! All of the panels with flaws were sanded down to the point where most of the dirt and imperfections are gone. The black sections still looked good so I taped them off and got everything else ready to be painted with a coat of white and then reattempt the clear. I made some decent progress this weekend painting, with a few minor issues thrown in, and will post a full update when I get the chance. Let's just say my spirits are looking up.
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #326
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

What's that old saying. "If at first you don't succeed try, try again". I bet you are sick of sanding. I would be too. When you get the Jeep put back togther and are able to drive it you'll look back on all of this and be glad you are taking the extra time to go over it and do it right, not that I thought you'd settle for less than the best anyway judging by previous results. I can hear people asking now, who did the paint for you? You can say I did it myseld and they'll say something like, man I wish I could do that. Lots of us wish we had the skill to finish a paint job like you are but you are even going beyond that!

Be encouraged my friend, you're getting there and we're all waiting to see the results. Not that I'm trying to put any pressure on you though.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #327
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

ONE DAY AT A TIME, BROTHER! One day at a time...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #328
1983 CJ7 

Mike,

I had to dig this up for my own reference but it is a good visual reminder to new people who start from the most recent post to see the extreme effort you have put into saving a rough CJ.

Thanks again for the great descriptive repair on the inner brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I started in on the body repairs and decided to start with the passengers side floorboard and ĎAí Pillar.

First I cut out the rusted section of the passengerís side ĎAí Pillar.

I cut out a replacement section and used a hammer and vice/anvil to bend the bottom edge to fit.

At the same time I cut out and shaped the floorboard patch as well. This took quite a bit of hammer work to get it shaped correctly.

Weld in the A Pillar patch.

Grind it smooth.

The floor panel and A Pillar mostly welded up.

Cut and fit the outside panel too.

A couple light coats of weldable primer.

Got it all tacked up.

A picture of the spot welds from the backside.

Mostly finished with the welding and a quick once over with the grinder.

Just a few spots to touch up and sand again before primer and a light coat of body filler to smooth it all out.

I had to do the same basic thing to the driverís side floor. This one was square and flat, nothing to fancy here. All welded up ready to grind.

Ground smooth ready for some final sanding.

The step panel repairs at the roll bar mounts were a little more involved and I plan to post those repairs up next.
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #329
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Mike,

I had to dig this up for my own reference but it is a good visual reminder to new people who start from the most recent post to see the extreme effort you have put into saving a rough CJ.

Thanks again for the great descriptive repair on the inner brace
Thanks Dave. I hope it helps you out.

Man does that take me back a ways. Those were the first panels I replaced on the entire tub. Thanks for reminding me, now I'll have hot sweat nightmares remembering how long and hot last summer was.

I'm going to try and post an update soon so you guys can check out at least a couple shiny painted parts.
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #330
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Clear Coat Success

Through a couple contacts I was able to work out a smoking deal to be able to use a paint booth for a day. I started with the tailgate again. The clear coat that went over the black looked fine so I just scuffed that up with a gray scotch bright pad. I had sanded the white sections a bit more with 800 grit until they were smooth. I taped off the black and hit it with pre-clean and a tack cloth.

Here is how it looked after I sprayed it with two more coats of white.

I waited for it to flash off then removed the paper and shot it with two coats of clear coat. I would have to say the lines came out awesome, especially around the letters.

The windshield frame was good to go from the first round so all it needed was the clear coat.

The grill also faired pretty well from the first round of clear coat. All I had to do was lightly sand two small areas then scuff it with a gray scotch bright, clean and tack. Then it got sprayed with two coats of clear. This picture is with the flash because it showed the most gloss.

Time for the roll bar to get some TLC. Here it is all cleaned up and ready for color.

After three solid coats of white.

All clear coated. The roll bar was kind of tough to spray but I think I did a pretty good job on it.

Here is how the main parts are resting in my basement at the moment. Sorry for the crappy picture. I'd have to say I am pretty happy with the way they turned out. I'll have to do a little typical buff and polish but they turned out really nice.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.