Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #286
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Mike, you are doing a great job and man do I feel for you... Bugs seem to collect around you when you paint like a magnet... I thought my booth was sealed off well until I started painting.. Same deal on the cowl, bug flies in.... Alway on a spot that is seen all the time so can't cover up.... Sorry about the paint and mixing, I know us shade tree painters have enough issues without it being something beyond our control like paint... I also hear you about the time between coats.. Once you get started, you can't stop and take a couple days off and get back on it. After shooting mine, I could now re-shoot and do a much better job seeing how the gun operates, paint lays down, etc..... The hardest thing to shoot for me was the clear on the vertical sections... Keeping it from running... Oh well, yours is looking great so far... As far as the wheel moldings, I sanded with 80 and then 240. I left them rough hoping it would better for adhesion of the primer, basecoat, and clear... When installing them I had to bend them so to fit the wheel opening and so far no peeling or cracking..

81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #287
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Sorry to hear about the bugs and paint problems. But still it's looking great!!! I'm also glad to hear that you don't ever plan to sell your Jeep. I feel the same way. I've wanted one for years and aim to keep the first one I finally bought, the one that's in a zillion pcs. in my shop! When you look at it from the standpoint of having it till you die it makes us do the very best work we can, like you say, who wants to do something twice. You're getting closer and I've been looking forward to seeing more progress.

Hang in there friend. You'll be driving it sooner than you think. Once again thanks a bunch for the thread!!!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #288
Junkman
1985 CJ7 

Beautiful job I cant wait to see it finished. With that white some blue accents (like the stang stripes) would look killer.
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #289
geochaf1

1984 CJ7 

I have really enjoyed reading your thread and I am learning a lot from you. I am also impressed with how well your garage cleans up! Is your garage a 3-car? How many square feet?

Thanks,
Chris
geochaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #290
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Guys.

Yeah Calvin, I think I scuffed my rear flares with a medium sponge which is about the same as 220. I figure I must have scuffed the front flares with a fine sponge which is close to 400 so that's why the paint did not stick to them.

Junkman, there are stripes coming.

geochaf1, my garage is a 3 car but not sure on the sq ft. I'd have to go look or measure. I'll edit this if I look at my house plans.

Last edited by Coiz; 06-25-2010 at 11:30 PM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #291
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How is it Mike hasn't been given a memebership yet?

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14767780]It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.[/QUOTE]

My build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-build-thread-867043/[/url]
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #292
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabejeeper View Post
How is it Mike hasn't been given a memebership yet?
Very good point.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #293
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Painting Color Part 2

Thanks but I didn't know people where "given" memberships. I give to the community just not monetarily.

So I had to sand down the grill, tailgate and top of the hood to remove the bits of binder from the faulty paint. I also had to scuff the rest of the parts because it had been longer than 72 hours since I last sprayed. It is mostly just more wasted time but it does actually help make the paint job just a little bit smoother. So I finally got to start spraying the HP White. Of course everything has been washed with pre-clean and wiped with a tack cloth. Here is the grill after two coats of the HP White.

The tailgate is looking good.

The windshield frame is a little difficult to work with. Don't forget that lower edge is covered by a seal. That lower lip adjustment is what we call FFF, Final Fit and Finish. That's usually performed with a hammer.

The hood is looking solid.

I was originally only going to paint all the pieces that had white and black together during the first session. I had planned to leave all the white only panels (fenders, dash and roll bar) until another weekend. We'll things seemed to be going well and I had some paint left in the hopper so I figured what the hell, I'll try to knock out a few more pieces at the same time. So I quickly cleaned the fenders and dash. Here are the driver's side fender and the dash in primer sanded to 600 grit.

Driver's side after three coats of HP White.

Here is the passenger's side in primer.

After 3 coats of HP White.

One of the dash ready for clear coat.

This is a good view of the driver's side rear corner.

One last picture of the entire passenger's side of the tub.

At this point I was rock'in and rolling feeling pretty good! Time to pull out the rolls of tape and go to town working on the racing stripes.

Last edited by Coiz; 06-27-2010 at 01:52 AM..
Unread 06-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #294
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Mike- The paint is looking really smooth. I keep wondering if I will be able to achieve a similar finish, but I know that answer is HECK NO! My son and I are checking out your status this morning, and he is getting excited about painting. Of course, we're not close to that point yet, but it's cool having him so interested while looking at your progress... thanks for the inspiration. I can tell you that I would be living in the garage at this point and not allowed back in the house! Your wife must be very patient! Be sure to do something nice for her. Keep up the good work!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #295
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Skerr, Thanks for the comments. I am sure you will do fine when it comes time to paint. Use the primer coats as practice and keep honing your skills as you progress to color then clear. I'm not married but my live in GF is pretty patient. She's just happy that I'm past all of the really dirty stages of the build. The hall way leading in from the garage gets dirty pretty quickly when I'm tracking in and out of the house. As far as doing something nice, we are leaving for Vegas on Saturday and she is pretty excited about going. I know that I am ready for a long overdue vacation.
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #296
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

On a side note, I would like to say "Thank You" to whoever purchased the premium membership upgrade for me. It was a very pleasant surprise and definitely not something I was expecting. I was told it was done anonymously so to whoever you are, Thank you very much! The members here are what make this forum such a fun place to log onto everyday.
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #297
TRex
1979 CJ7 

Mike, sorry to see your hood turned out so badly. I know you must be super disappointed. To make you feel better, I'll come take it off your hands and you won't ever have to look at it again. I'll even toss in a 6er to make the pain go away.

The build is looking great! I'm really enjoying the thread. Keep it up and thanks for all your ideas and contributions.
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #298
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mike, If you can take your camera off of auto white balance. If you are shooting with a flash set it to flash for white balance. The color changes you are getting from pic to pic are caused by changes in the white balance.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14767780]It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.[/QUOTE]

My build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-build-thread-867043/[/url]
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #299
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

TRex, if you think the hood looks good now just wait until the next couple sets of photos.

Wanabejeeper, my camera is a Finepix A610 and is a work camera. I'm not sure if it has the auto white balance option but I'll check it out. I am pretty good about using the macro when needed and turning the flash on and off to get different exposures but that's about it. I'll look into the camera options a bit closer and mess with it. Thanks.
Unread 06-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #300
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Taping for Black

I am painting dual 9" stripes with a 1" white center down the middle of my CJ much like a late model Cobra. So at this point I had to start taping everything off for the stripes. I started at the rear of the tub and found center from the edges of the tailgate opening and double checked from the hinge bolt holes. I laid down a 3/4 inch piece of yellow masking tape as close to center as I could get. I then used the 1/4" fine line tape to make the exact 1" edge. By placing the blue tape over the yellow, this allows me to quickly pull off the fine line tape directly after painting the black to give the sharpest lines as possible. This also leaves the rest of the tape and paper in it's place. Once the center 1" stripe is down, I measure 9" out from the edge and do the same process with the blue over the yellow tape. I did the rear of the tub then followed the same procedure on the tailgate. Once I was done I held them up to each other and much to my surprise, they lined up perfect!

So I finished taping off the tailgate. The back side will be Raptor'ed.

The grill got the same treatment.

The windshield frame only gets the black stripes on the outside. This piece was hard to measure the center line. I actually saved this piece for last.

The hood is probably the most important due to the sheer length of the stripes and also very hard to find center on the front edge. Here are the main measured lines on the hood.

I had to tape off all the louvers because the underside of the hood is going to be black. I was scared of black bleeding onto the white.

Finished taping off the rest of the white.

Last came the taping of the front cowl, fresh air inlet cover and the rest of the tub that's covered in white.

It took me almost ten hours to tape all of those panels but at this point it was time to start mixing up the black paint.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.