Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
Looks great! Obviously you did this a few months ago since it was 20 degrees in Michigan.....
Yeah, I had to look up the date in the picture properties but it was painted on Oct 12th. Three weeks later we had one last warm spell and that's when I knocked out the axles, skid plate and just about anything else that bolts to the frame. We're getting pretty close to where I'm actually at in the rebuild. I am going to post some pictures of the parts and of the few things I have put back together. Then I'll be caught up to present time. The cool thing is I have the next 4 days off and plan on spending some time in the chill box garage.

I've been wanting to document it like this for sometime so I wanted to get this up to present before I go to Colorado for Christmas. Then it will be slow going updates from there on out.

Last edited by Coiz; 04-11-2010 at 02:13 AM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Axle and chassis parts

These are just some pictures of the axles and other chassis parts.

Transmission Cross member before:

Here it is after a wire wheel, Marine Clean, Metal Ready and 3 coats of POR-15. I also hit it with Blackcote:

Rear axle before:

Rear axle cleaned:

Rear axle painted:

Front axle cleaned:

Front axle painted:

Miscellaneous parts all cleaned up:

Parts everywhere:

I cut up almost every wire clothes hanger in the house so I could hang all of these parts for drying. Once dry I stacked them around the frame to get them out of the way:

Next up is all of the brake parts then I am pretty much all caught up.
Unread 12-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #18
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

I can hear it now:
'Honey can you bring me some hangers so I can hang up your shirts.....'
Unread 12-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #19
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Brake Components

I can tell you that having full access to a bead blaster is a wonderful thing. I couldn’t imagine trying to do this without one.

Rear drums, backing plates and hardware:

Same parts bead blasted:

Primed with high temp paint:

Painted with high temp paint:

Check out that master cylinder:

Bead blasted:

Assembled brakes before:

Assembled brakes after:

That’s about where I’m at up to this point in the build. I put the rear springs and axle on and completed installing the rear brakes. I plan to install the rear hubs tomorrow to finish off the rear axle. After that I will likely move on to installing all of the front engine accessories before I tackle the front suspension and steering.

We’ll see how much I get done in the next four days before I take a few weeks off for Christmas.
Unread 12-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #20
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I can tell you that having full access to a bead blaster is a wonderful thing. I couldnít imagine trying to do this without one.

Rear drums, backing plates and hardware:

Same parts bead blasted:

Check out that master cylinder:

Bead blasted:

Assembled brakes before:

Assembled brakes after:

Thatís about where Iím at up to this point in the build. I put the rear springs and axle on and completed installing the rear brakes. I plan to install the rear hubs tomorrow to finish off the rear axle. After that I will likely move on to installing all of the front engine accessories before I tackle the front suspension and steering.

Weíll see how much I get done in the next four days before I take a few weeks off for Christmas.

Damn do I need a friend with a bead blaster!
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #21
RenegadeKing81
1981 CJ7 

I agree with hack. Either that or we should all hire him because he works at an incredible pace. Either way, it looks great so far.
2005 GC 4.7 stock
RenegadeKing81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #22
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

About your tub, there was a recent post here about the Willys-Overland Replitubs. They require little to no body work. Don't understand by what you mean "move the bulkead".

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #23
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtty58 View Post
Don't understand by what you mean "move the bulkead".
Post #2 1st picture. I would have to move that over to the new tub if I wanted to keep it. With that horizontal bar going across the roll bar it basically kills it for a back seat anyway. That scrambler bulkhead is where I had my subs and amps mounted before the tear down.

I did see those Overland bodies and they look nice but rather pricey. I'm just not sure if I should buck up and spend the money or fix this tub.
Unread 12-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #24
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for posting these up, great work. It's always nice to see another blue oval CJ.
Unread 12-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #25
Jmaas
1979 CJ7 

Do you take it somewhere for the media blasting or did you buy a small cabinet at harbor freight or somewhere and do it?
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640992[/url]\
[url]http://maas.smugmug.com/Cars/668997[/url]
Jmaas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #26
jeepduo
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold24 View Post
I'm doing the exact same thing.....frame off on a 1978 cj7. sometimes I start to feel a little overwelmed but then I tell my sell it does not have to be done overnight....I guess I'm a little impatient......looks like your doing a good job....are you going to hunt for a new frame?
Guys, don't worry. It took me 3 years to get mine back on the road.
I have decided that I will NEVER get it completley finished.
But I am driving it, and it looks pretty dang good.
Unread 12-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #27
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Restoration

Great job and very well documented. I will start on my restoration over Christmas.. Getting all the parts together now... Will try to document as well... I also am interested in what kind of glass beader you are using.. That is something that my shop has been needing for quiet a while... I have about all the other tools one would need...
Anybody else have a blaster in their shop that they would reccomend?????
thanks
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #28
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments guys.

The parts were all ran through a glass bead blaster. I had access to a shop where I could go in after work, during their second shift, and use it until they closed at midnight if I wanted. I was even able to turn my own drums. I did the rotors too but one was out of spec so I just bought two new ones. Just about every part on my Jeep has been ran through that blaster, from the foot controls to the battery tray. I really don't know how you would do something like this without one. Wire wheel, clean and paint does work but would take forever. I know, I did that to the frame and alxes. The bead blaster makes it look like you are spray painting the parts with metal colored paint.

I would consider buying one but the space in my garage is already limited. Not to mention it would be a tool I would use a lot during the rebuild then be lucky to use it once a year after that. I would have to say around 10-12 hours were spent in the cabinet for all of the chassis and engine parts. That's about 90% of everything. I still have to do the seat risors and a coupe things like that but nothing like all of the frame/chassis parts.

I guess I should start looking for someone that can do my body for me if I decide to fix it. Anyone know how much it should cost to get a tub media blasted?
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #29
purplepride
1978 CJ5 

Restore

The project looks great I was not lucky enough to have a freind with a blaster. I did it on the patio>>blast awhile,runout,sweep up,filter,re-fill,blast awhile longer and do it all over again. I did like you and tore it all down blasted,primed,and repainted. I used the POR-15 on my frame too and man this stuff looks good but, don't get it on your skin or you will wear it for weeks. You can only scrub so much skin off!! Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!!
purplepride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #30
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Well, here is the work I finished up over the 3-4 days before I took off for Christmas. This is the first chance I've had to get the progress posted.

Rear suspension and axle

Pretty simple here, I just bolted on the frame hangers, grease able shackles and then springs. Lay the axle into their alignment pins and install the U bolts. All new Daystar bushings with a lot of anti-seize.

I installed the spindles, axles, brakes and hubs on both sides. Here are some pictures of the Warn full floating rear hubs, inner bearing:

Hub parts:

All assembled:

With brake drums:

The assembly of the front suspension was pretty much the same as the rear. No need to go into too much detail.

I also got the power steering box installed on the frame. That's as far as I got on the chassis and how it will sit for the next several weeks. I still have to install the axles, spindles, hubs and brakes. All of that should go pretty quickly.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.