Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #271
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

dude, your jeep is gonna be nicer than the day it rolled out of the factory by the time you're done

keep up the good work

SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #272
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

You're doing a great job! Just awesome
Unread 05-31-2010, 04:48 AM   #273
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Mike, white will look great on your Jeep... I love the white because it always looks classy..... I know you are getting anxious to get the paint flowing and see you hard work come to life..... You are doing a great job!!!!!
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #274
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Defroster Duct

Thanks for the comments everyone. I had some minor issues with some paint I will detail later but for now I would like to share an idea I thought was pretty slick. I might post this again as a separate write up like my Simple Brake Light Upgrade and the Brake/Fuel Line Flaring-How To.

When I had purchased my complete replacement windshield frame off of CL it came with all the parts still attached. I had an idea for the two spare defroster ducts. Unfortunately, I either lost or mistakenly threw away the driver's side duct. I made a post looking for another replacement and Wifflesniffle was nice enough to take the time to ship me a set. I wanted to use the two ducts to make one so I could eliminate the notorious CJ center windshield frost pyramid. Thanks again to Wifflesniffle for shipping these to me.

I was looking for the completed duct to be about 8" long so I taped them together and marked it at just over 4". This is about the only thing that air trimmer was ever successful at cutting.

I used my grinder to shape the ends to get them to line up a straight as possible. Next I taped the two pieces together.

Here I am mixing up the fiberglass resin. Notice the two small pieces of cut fiberglass mat behind my thumb. Also notice I grooved a small 'V' on the inside edges where the two pieces join.

I filled the V with resin then added the mat on top. You dab it around until it soaks up the resin. Here I am adding a second layer to the back side.

Total length came to right at 8" and it is rock solid.

I let it dry overnight and quickly sanded off the fiberglass that was sticking out. A picture of the front. This side faces the windshield.

Here is the side you will see as a passenger. I actually hit that with the lightest amount of body filler you could imagine then primed it. You won't see that line in the next picture. I'm sure you've noticed the deflectors are made perfectly to distribute air from the center out.

Here is a picture of where I cut the air relief in the windshield. The air inlet to the windshield frame is directly below this so it will be in the direct airflow. I still want the majority of the air going to the main ducts so I only cut a small relief for the air flow to the center vent. You can see the difference in size as compared to the stock cutouts. With the Blazer blower motor upgrade I'm sure my entire windshield will be clear.

Here they are all installed from the interior.

Here is it from the front. The ducts will be painted black.

A small upgrade but one more thing to make it unique.

Last edited by Coiz; 06-12-2010 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #275
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You are doing it right my friend, great work.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #276
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Great idea.... Too late for me to do with mine though.. Good work......

Unread 06-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #277
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Well Mike thanks to you for adding yet another upgrade for me to do in my project, the list keeps getting longer my friend. That's a great idea!!

Wish I'd have paid this much attention in school.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #278
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Final Priming and Wet Sanding

I had spent some time over the last few weekends sanding down my initial primer then went back to touch up any imperfections I could find. No matter how good you think you sanded down the filler it is not until you get the primer on it until you see what was missed. Right after I had sprayed the primer I saw a lot of issues I thought I was going to have to fix but after I performed the initial sanding most of the imperfections were gone and were still primer colored so I really only had a half dozen things to touch up. Here are a few examples of what I am talking about. A couple pin holes already hit with the easy sand and sanded smooth.

One more small scratch already fixed.

This cowl seem really stood out.

Here it is again after being sanded and primed for the final time.

After I was satisfied with the repairs I sprayed two more coats of primer in preparation for final wet sanding. Once the primer had cured I spent almost 15 hours straight sanding these down. I hit the untouched primer with medium sanding sponges then again with a fine sponge. After that I used a sanding block with 400 then 600 grit to get everything smooth. Stepping up grits like that made it pretty easy to make it scratch free it just took a lot of time due to the immense surface area of every panel. Here is the windshield frame.

One of the hood.

Here is the tailgate in process.

Front grill.

Here are a couple of the tub.

Passenger's side.

Driver's side.

Here is what my hands looked like after over 15 hours of sanding. I probably went through a dozen pairs of gloves but it is impossible to keep them dry while wet sanding. They hurt pretty good for a couple of days.

Here is one of the passenger's side after it had been washed off.

Picture of the Driver's side completely sanded and cleaned. Notice the dull shine after the 600 grit. At this point all the main panels are ready to be painted with color.

I had actually started to paint white last weekend but had some trouble with one of the paints. I might post that up in a bit but the end result was more sanding and getting another batch of paint mixed up. With any luck all of the main panels should be completely painted next weekend. After that will just be the smaller finishing pieces like the headlight bezels, fender flares, hinges and other parts such as those. I also got my rear bumper from Besrk. I haven't actually unwrapped anything or even opened the small parts box but from what I can see, the welds are a thing of inspiration.

Last edited by Coiz; 06-11-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Unread 06-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #279
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Here is what my hands looked like after over 15 hours of sanding. I probably went through a dozen pairs of gloves but it is impossible to keep them dry while wet sanding. They hurt pretty good for a couple of days.
Raisin Man! There is medication for this kind of thing! Awesome stuff....

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #280
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

That ought to look like glass after you shoot...... Lots of hard work getting closer to showing up.....
Looking great......

Unread 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #281
peep6543

Fantastic work man. Top to bottom, a really great build all done the right way. I especially like how you are integrating new parts as well as styles into a rig that retains a very classic look but will be able to go virtually anywhere. Really nice job.
peep6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #282
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I know you realize if you paid a body man to do what you've been doing you'd have thousands of dollars invested. I also know you've heard many times what GREAT job you're doing Mike, but it can't be said enough. And all of the time you've spent documenting your build so we all could see. You're a great help to us all. Very much looking forward to seeing this painted!!!!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #283
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

Man, your hands look like that of a dead body that was found in a creek after 5 days. Awesome work all around. MAke me want to go back on my build and do a few things different.
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #284
1983 CJ7 

Hey Mike, how is you build going?
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #285
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Painting Color

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
That ought to look like glass after you shoot...... Lots of hard work getting closer to showing up.....
Looking great......
Thanks Calvin. What grit did you sand your flares before priming? My rears came out great but on the front flares the primer cracked and flaked when flexed. I think the rears were scuffed with a heavier grit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peep6543 View Post
.... I especially like how you are integrating new parts as well as styles into a rig that retains a very classic look but will be able to go virtually anywhere....
That is a very insightful response. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I know you realize if you paid a body man to do what you've been doing you'd have thousands of dollars invested. I also know you've heard many times what GREAT job you're doing Mike, but it can't be said enough. And all of the time you've spent documenting your build so we all could see. You're a great help to us all. Very much looking forward to seeing this painted!!!!!
Thank you Jim. You're right on every level. Due to the labor involved the value of my CJ to me will always be way higher than someone trying to buy it from me adding up the sum of the parts at 60% of their actual value. I honestly have no intentions of ever selling this Jeep. Documenting the process on this forum is fun because of the responses I get from my peers and my family but it is time consuming like you said. The Word document I type this into before I post in this thread is going on 74 pages long. As most of you know, my posts are usually a week or two behind from where I actually am in the build. That's because when I am working on it, I spend all of my time working on it so the posting has to come later.

It just seems that ever since I started to paint color, it has been one disaster after another. I should be done by now but a series of mishaps have cost me one weekend after another. I've been working hard at getting it done but am not quite there. It will be three more weekends before I get the chance to finish it which really puts me into late July for the start of assembly.

So please follow along in my Hell Ride known as painting color.

Since I had already bought a gallon of Oxford White, I know I wrote Performance on the can but it turns out Oxford was the color code that was mixed, I decided to use that as the base and finish it off with the half gallon of High Performance White I bought. I started off spraying two coats of Oxford on all the pieces. Here is the grill which was actually the last piece I painted.

The tailgate was looking good.

The hood was going pretty good but my air hose got caught up and gave me a couple runs. Not a big deal since I could easily sand them down before the main coats of the second paint but just more things to do that I shouldn't have to.

Here is the passengers side after the second coat.

Right after I finished spraying the second coat, I was standing there with the gun in my hand and a fairly large bug lands on the driver's side cowl and starts squirming around. So I pick him out of the paint and try to spray a little more to cover it up. So now that the paint is nice and thick in that area, two more bugs fall within 8" of each other at almost the exact same time. I looked up and realized they where falling off my 8 foot fluorescent lights.

So here are two more spots that I'll have to wait to cure and sand out.

In the picture above it doesn't look that bad but here is a close up of the one on the left so you can see just how bad it is. Everything is repairable, it just takes more time.

I sanded down the spots with the runs and bugs and decided to finally hang up my "paint booth" materials since I was about to get serious. So here is the hood sanded down.

Here are most of the parts ready to be shot with the final color.

My paint booth cost me $6.73 for a 10' x 100' roll of .4 mil plastic and $.99 for a box of hooks. I screwed the hooks into the ceiling every 4-6 feet and folded a piece of masking tape around the plastic where they would be punched through the hook. As a door, to minimize the dust transfer, I overlap two of the pieces by about 4 feet. Having the thin clear mil gives me extra ambient lighting than the typical tarp set up. I already had three box fans I use to move air. Once I am done painting and the fumes are not visible, I shut off the fans to minimize dust movement.

At this point I hit another major road block. I started mixing up the High performance White and noticed a few small chunks floating in the paint. I had never seen that before but thought maybe it was some dried paint from the lid or something that would be caught in the filter funnel. I mixed up the batch and started spraying. This was the first time I was using the Sata-Jet gun that was loaned to me rather than my HF gun. It looked like the paint was coming out a little different but thought it might dry flat so I covered the hood, tailgate and grill with a single coat before I stopped to see what the first panel really looked like. It looked as if there was sand in the paint, maybe 10 specs every square inch. They were small specs but noticeable. My HF gun has an extra screen right below the hopper that his gun did not have so I poured the paint from his gun back into mine through two filter funnels. I sprayed about a 10" section on the back of the tub and quit because it looked the same. You can really see the difference in the whites after only one light coat in the lower right corner by the tailgate hinge.

I called the paint guy the next day and told me to bring it back. They started pulling all the cans off the shelf that they used to make my batch and found a problem with the can of binder. It was hard and chunky on the automatic mixer arm. So they mixed me up another batch and I got to wait until the next weekend to get the chance to shoot it.

I did get to see them mix my second batch of the HP White. It is white base(obviously) and contains bright yellow, bright orange and black for pigments. This last picture is of my tailgate with a single coat of the faulty HP White. It looks fine in the picture but in person you can definitely see the specs of binder. This was during sundown so the lighting is faint.

So that means I got to sand down the grill, tailgate and hood again with 800 grit until it felt smooth before I could paint them again with color. More work more time, I hate doing things twice. The other problem is you have to apply the clear coat within 72 hours of the color for proper adhesion. If you spray color and wait more than 72 hours, you have to scuff the paint and apply one more coat of color before you can clear coat. Needless to say the start of my main painting process did not start out that great.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.