Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #211
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Reviving the economy

Over the past two weeks I have been doing my best to single-handedly revive the US economy. I've ordered my GroundPounder rear bumper/tire carrier, a HD steering box mount, a twin stick shifter for the D300, several hundred dollars worth of other odds and ends and $500 worth of paint supplies.

I was over at the Hotrod Shop BS'ing with the guys and we started talking about paint. Wayne gave me the name and number to a local paint supplier branch manager. Five minutes later the guy walks into the Hotrod shop. We got to talking and he priced out what I needed with his secretary over the phone. It was going to come to about $550 for all the paint, no supplies factored in, and said he would knock 15% off that price. Well, when I went in to his actual warehouse yesterday he hooked me up with all of the stuff you see here for a whopping grand total of $483. I think it was a smoking deal and not only that but he offered to let me use one of his professional paint guns and even offered to come over and help me out the weekend I decide to paint. I'm not sure if I'll take him up on it but a very cool gesture none-the-less. I've used U-Tech before on the race bikes and they have always come out great. I was quoted almost $900 for PPG paint by another shop but couldn't justify the difference in the price. Yeah, I want it to look good and definitely wanted BC/CC but I also don't want to start crying the first time a tree branch looks at my paint the wrong way.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #212
TRex

1979 CJ7 

Whooohoooo! That's a great deal! Sounds like you've made friends with the right circle of folks! I'm excited to follow your paint progress as I'm only a couple weeks behind you. Tis the season for paint apparently!
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #213
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Yeap he did... That is a great price.... You are right about the painting, fixing to be a bunch of us doing it.....
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #214
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Fuel System Components

I am trying to finish up all the last little tid-bits on the chassis so I can put the tub back on the frame for final fitment and paint. I got the fuel pump cleaned up and painted. It went from this:

To this with a little cleaning, primer and paint:

Here are the fuel pump and filter installed on the crossmember. All new FI fuel line and SS hose clamps. I put a small piece of rubber around the filter and used a few zip-ties to hold it in place, mainly to prevent rattles.

I took the new sender and extended out the lift arm for my aftermarket 20 gallon tank. Before the float arm was cut and spliced back together with small blocks with a set screw, you can still see one on there. I never had much faith in those connections so I removed the arm from the sender and welded them together. You can also see the one way check valve I installed in the pick up line to prevent fuel drain back and potential fuel pump dry run. Got it off eBay for $16 shipped. I checked the resistance readings and made some minor adjustments to the stops.

Here you can see the seam sealer I applied to the MORE frame rail reinforcement weld seams, the carriage bolts I welded in for the fuel tank and a few of the lines hooked up. I still needed to paint one of the clamps at this point and give the whole thing a wash.

Here is a picture of where I mocked up my fender well brace with the liquid check valve and my new DeLorean rollover valve. That's all new fuel hose and $30 worth of SS hose clamps. I cut a few of the hoses a couple inches longer than needed so I can trim them to perfect length once the body is on. Notice I used the 5/16" line as the fuel return and converted the 1/4" line to the canister vent system.

Now that the chassis is basically done I can go ahead and put the tub back on the frame for final fitment, filler and paint. I just need to finish a little filler work on the fenders and windshield frame.
Unread 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #215
brejamin
1983 CJ7 

Amazing detail. I joined this forum because of all the info for a 4.0 swap into my cj. That was all I was plannin on doing but now after reading your rebuild. I got an itchin to do a complete rebuild. We will see the army keeps me poor!
brejamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #216
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Glad I could be of some inspiration for you. I can tell you now that being poor and rebuilding a Jeep do not go hand in hand, or do they?

Got the garage cleaned up last night and gave the chassis a quick wash. Just need cover it in plastic and get a couple extra hands to help put the tub back on the frame.

Last edited by Coiz; 04-21-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #217
TRex

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
... I can tell you now that being poor and rebuilding a Jeep do not go hand in hand...
I feel your pain, brother! I feel your pain.
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #218
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Hell of a job man, you should be very proud of yourself. That thing is going to be incredible. Feels good to clean the garage out doesn't it? It's like hitting the reset button on the project.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #219
CJ7-1986
1986 CJ7 

What type of fuel filter did you use?
CJ7-1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #220
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

Do you have a part number for the fuel sender? I just picked up the same tank and don't have a clue what sender to use.
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #221
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikEastman View Post
Feels good to clean the garage out doesn't it? It's like hitting the reset button on the project.
Yes it does and yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-1986 View Post
What type of fuel filter did you use?
I used a Fram G7248. I just searched through the high pressure fuel injection filters until I found one with the 5/16" fittings and about the size I was looking for. It is for 1991-96 Dodge Dakota's all the way up to their 5.9L/360ci D350/W350 gas trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8ya View Post
Do you have a part number for the fuel sender? I just picked up the same tank and don't have a clue what sender to use.
I ended up ordering the Fuel Sending Unit Kit by 4Wheel Drive Hardware Part #KIT5357373K. I was really tempted to order this one to try and avoid having to extend the arm but wasn't sure of the fitment as it says for 20 gallon plastic tank only. ??? I figured it would work but didn't want to take the chance of it not and having to deal with the time and effort to return it. My tank came with the extra little extension arm and the little set screw couplers when I bought it ~12 years ago. I lost one of the couplers so I resorted to the welder. I had to remove the arm from the sender first as to not damage the potentiometer from the welding heat.
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #222
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The two 20 gal senders are just a bit different. The old 20 gal plastic sender cj 87-89 yj has a square cover and is not really available any more. The mid 90s FI YJ's has brackets for the fuel pump and a square cover. It can be ordered without the pump to use in the older square hole cj/yj's. If your aftermarket tank is 20 gallon and round hole you want the 15 gallon sender. The tanks are identical except for the hole. They put a long vent line into the tank to reduce the tankage from 20 to 15 from about 90-94. Eventually they went back to two tanks a 20 and 15.. the 20 retained the square hole... In short there are no aftermarket round hole 20 gallon senders
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #223
canadianwinter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex View Post
I feel your pain, brother! I feel your pain.
Haha yea bein poor and rebuilding a jeep dont go hand in hand that's why im single my jeep is like my girlfriend think of it.. birthdays anniversary chrismass valentines day eating out at fancy restraunts every couple of weeks!!! bah i got laid a couple days ago all it costed me was like 15$ at some ****ty restaurant so im happy
canadianwinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #224
Conflict
1981 CJ7 

5 Quarts is nowhere near as much as I had thought you used. I'll definitely be spraying EVERYTHING on my Jeep in POR-15, since you really don't have any reason not to.

That chassis looks amazing sitting there, shame most of it will be covered up.
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #225
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
... To get back to the Jeep. I used another tube of Motorcraft TA-2 Body Seam Sealer to seal all the places I could get to where two or more pieces of metal are joined. This stuff retails for $45 a tube but I can get it for $27. If you can't get the Motorcraft I know that 3M also makes some good stuff. I used two tubes on the tub and one more for the rest of these parts...
Mike- Thanks for the pics and heads-up on the seam sealer... 'preciate it. The sealer gets hard enough to sand? The small bead on your fender exterior looks very good after primer.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.