Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #181
1983 CJ7 

Mike,

Are you in the paint & body business?

Unread 03-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #182
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments guys, a little recognition goes a long way to keeping the motivation up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Mike,

Are you in the paint & body business?
Not exactly. I do work in the automotive industry and sometimes have to deal with paint issues but all of my body work experience comes from my short lived motorcycle road racing career detailed in post 48. I was pretty good and only had a couple incidents but several of my friends were better at crashing them than riding them.

Being the technical guru for bikes and cars, I was the go to guy when it came time to fix stuff. After repairing and painting over a dozen sets of bodywork I got a pretty good feel for the process and became a master of fiberglass. You would be amazed by some of the before and after pics of some of the motorcycles I've repaired and painted. I had never done it on an automobile prior to the CJ but the process is the same. Welding is the new skill I acquired when I started on the Jeep. I'm glad to have that prior body filler experience before starting in on the Jeep, I'm not sure I would want to be using the CJ to learn on.

Last edited by Coiz; 03-20-2010 at 05:51 PM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #183
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Front Fenders

So I finally pulled my new front fenders out of the box and quickly noticed a problem with the passengers side. There are two main pieces that are welded together to make the main fender and a third piece that is essentially a cap that covers up most of the mating line of the main two pieces. It looks like this cap piece was not held in the correct place when they spot welded it together. This caused a 1/4" gap at the bottom fender where it mounts to the firewall. There was no way I was going to leave it like this and returning it for another was no longer an option since I bought them almost 2 years ago. It doesn't look like much in a picture but would surely look like crap on the Jeep.

I talked it over with the guys I met at the hotrod shop and we figured that I either needed to drill out every spot weld and completely remove and reinstall the piece or make a relief cut on that edge and remove the gap that way. I decided to go with the relief cut option since there were a lot of spot welds and several on curved surfaces. So I made a relief cut most of the way up the edge and ground off the excess metal.

I shot some weldable primer under the seem and clamped it into place.

All tacked into place.

Completely welded up.

Here is where you act like a surgeon with the angle grinder. Just enough to knock off the welds without hitting the base metal.

Follow that up with a 120 grit flapper disk and call it a day.

I looked the fenders over pretty well and added in a few tack welds in places where they had poor welds and places where they were really unevenly spaced out. I also got some work done on my dash but didn't quite get it finished. I'll post that up once it is done. Slowly plugging along and one less day of work needed before I can apply paint.
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #184
longboy
2006 WK 

I'm not a body man, but I'd recommend sealing up that front edge with some seam-sealer or equivalent. When I pulled off my OE fenders, there was gobs of rust happening where those two pieces sandwich together. Kinda a weird design. The build is looking good, keep up the hard work!
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #185
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Yeah, that is the typical place for them to rust. I will seal every seam on both fenders inside and out with Motorcraft TA-2 body seam sealer. Thanks for the comments.
Unread 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #186
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

I'm doing body work on my Jeep build right now and my buddy who will be doing the spraying requested "Platinum" brand body filler. It wasn't cheap! Forty something for a gallon but there is no point in a nice paint job if the body filler isn't going to perform properly. I started using the bond brand and I find this stuff to be super. I use Evercoat brand marine filler and it is a great product. Formula 27 made by Evercoat is basically waterproof bondo. Havent found Evercoat body filler around here to try.
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #187
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Yeah I seam sealed everything I could on mine, especially overlapping sheet metal that will constantly be getting wet like those fenders.

Good fix!
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #188
Jeep_tj_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What grid of sanding paper are you using to sand the welds for the body repair?

And are you using a sanding disc or one of these sanding disc with like little sanding sheets all stack up??
Jeep_tj_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #189
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

You would use an angle grinder for that. Those discs you are talking about with the overlapping layers of sandpaper work pretty good.
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #190
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I used a 4.5" angle grinder with a 1/4" thick metal grinding wheel to grind down most of the welds. I used 120 grit flapper disk for the final sanding with the angle grinder. From there I would hand sand or DAO before paint. This is a flapper wheel:
Unread 03-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #191
Jeep_tj_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thnx allot Coiz!

I have 3 holes 2 in my floor panel and one on the side of my 97 tj tub...

Im going to buy somme 16ga. and start patching like you did

great Job on the cj7 by the way!
Jeep_tj_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #192
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Windshield Frame and Front Fenders

I started on my final prep to paint the windshield frame and the front fenders. Here is the windshield frame with a coat of paint stripper on it.

Here it is completely stripped of paint.

There were quite a few small rust pitting spots on the front of the windshield frame. I will sand these out just before I perform the final cleaning before paint.

I was contemplating for a while whether or not I wanted to strip the primer off of the new fenders. I finally decided I had enough paint and might as well stay consistent with the rest of the body panels. Here is one soaking in paint stripper.

I'm glad I did strip them down because I found a couple of spots of rust under the primer on the driver's front fender. This would definitely be bubbling paint ten years from now. I expect this rebuild to last another thirty years.

Here is another area of rust that will need to be sanded completely out. I'm really glad I decided to strip these down because that is cancer waiting to happen.

So here they are all stripped down and rinsed off. I'll sand them down to remove any of the remaining rust spots before I clean and paint.

It is supposed to rain tomorrow which is not good for POR application but I have plenty of other things to work on. I should have another update or two from this weekends work.

Last edited by Coiz; 04-05-2010 at 01:00 PM..
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #193
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Looking good!

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #194
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Fenders are a pain to work on. They have a weird shape and don't like to sit still when you are working on them.

So you think you'll get her back together this summer? Not sure if I missed it but what color are you planning on going with?
Unread 04-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #195
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Fenders really are a PITA aren't they? Jeep will be white with black accents.

I didn't get much done today. I had a couple friends needing help with small projects and they both turned into disasters. It seemed like the whole day went wrong. Even at the end of the day we were playing Xbox and eating pizza at my friend's house when his Xbox crashed. Shortly after we all agreed to call it a night.

I did manage to get my fuel tank skid plate stripped but that's about it. I got my DeLorean roll over valve in the mail today and also got a 5/16" fuel one way check valve from eBay. I'll install it in the fuel pickup line in the tank just after the sock to prevent any drain back for my electric pump. Just waiting on a new pick up and sock for the tank. The skid will get painted tomorrow. The fuel system is the last parts for the chassis before I can install the tub.

Tomorrow I plan to clean, paint and seam seal the windshield frame and front fenders. I'll also seam seal the strip of stitch welds on the MORE rear frame reinforcements. I might hit the hood if there is any left over. Once I have everything in primer I can mount it all on the frame and test fit all the lights, fender flares, shifters and such. Anything where I might have to drill new holes. Then I'll just have to tear it back down, complete my final prep work and paint color.

I really hope to have it painted my the end of May but that might be pushing it due to a couple committed weekends. Once it's painted, I plan to give it two full weeks to cure before doing much around the paint. I think it should go back together fairly quickly but I also know there are a lot of small details. I would think that I would have it running by this fall. At this point I am even considering taking 3-5 days off work once it is painted just to put it back together. See if I can't hammer most of it out in one week. We'll see.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.