Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 127 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #1891
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburgess00 View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but I still wanted to comment.

I recently acquired a '79 cj5 and your build is an inspiration. Thanks so much for spending the time to put so many details on this site.

How are you enjoying the fruits of your labor these days?

Matt
Thank you for taking the time to read it and post. It was a lot of work but well worth it in the end. I very much enjoy driving the CJ whenever I get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAbuzer View Post
It would be interesting to see some wheeling pics or videos. Maybe just an updated pic of what it looks like 4 months later. Love this CJ!
Nothing new to see as of now, it is just parked in the garage hiding from all the sodium chloride Illinois loves to use. I hope to get it out and take a wheeling trip or two this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Is that the dreaded "Jeep Lean" I'm seeing on the famous Cobra CJ, or does Mike need to loose some lbs?

Matt
Ha, I knew most of that was from camera angle but you made me go pull out the tape measure. I do have a 1/4" lean to the driver's side but that's not really too bad. Certainly not from my weight, I come in at a 150# soaking wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I just noticed the earlier (oct.) posts of the show. Congrats Mike, it was a well deserved trophy. I also really love that blue bobtail Bronco.
Thanks, that Bronco was pretty cool.

I've got a couple things I still need to do to the CJ but need to work up the motivation to get them done, that and it's 30 degrees in my garage right now. I need to fix a small oil leak coming from the low oil sensor on the side of the oil pan and I still need to get my 4x4 light wiring finished up. I also need to get my Hi-Lift and other accessories mounted to the rear swing-out bumper.

Maybe it's time to sort through the pile of receipts and see how much this thing actually cost me.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #1892
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

[QUOTE=Coiz;15070465]Thank you for taking the time to read it and post. It was a lot of work but well worth it in the end. I very much enjoy driving the CJ whenever I get the chance.

Nothing new to see as of now, it is just parked in the garage hiding from all the sodium chloride Illinois loves to use. I hope to get it out and take a wheeling trip or two this summer.

Ha, I knew most of that was from camera angle but you made me go pull out the tape measure. I do have a 1/4" lean to the driver's side but that's not really too bad. Certainly not from my weight, I come in at a 150# soaking wet.

Thanks, that Bronco was pretty cool.

I've got a couple things I still need to do to the CJ but need to work up the motivation to get them done, that and it's 30 degrees in my garage right now. I need to fix a small oil leak coming from the low oil sensor on the side of the oil pan and I still need to get my 4x4 light wiring finished up. I also need to get my Hi-Lift and other accessories mounted to the rear swing-out bumper.

Maybe it's time to sort through the pile of receipts and see how much this thing actually cost me. [/QUOTE]

Nope. It's time to get it dirty.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #1893
Cabe75
1973 CJ5 

Coiz,

I have spent the better part of 20 hours ready every post on your build.
All I can say is WOW. The dedication and perseverance that went into this build is second to none.

I only hope one day I can pull off what you have accomplished. I just need to convince the wife first!!
Cabe75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #1894
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

Looks like your running 2.25" dual exhaust. I'm redoing mine to dual also. I've searched the thread for specific pics of how you routed the p-side from the headers past the trans and t-case. When I had this done 4 years ago the shop routed the p-side under the oil pan and then into one exhaust. Any pics would be much appreciated.
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #1895
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe75 View Post
Coiz,

I have spent the better part of 20 hours ready every post on your build.
All I can say is WOW. The dedication and perseverance that went into this build is second to none.

I only hope one day I can pull off what you have accomplished. I just need to convince the wife first!!
Hey, thanks for taking the time to read the build and post a comment. I'm sure your CJ will turn out just as nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Living View Post
Looks like your running 2.25" dual exhaust. I'm redoing mine to dual also. I've searched the thread for specific pics of how you routed the p-side from the headers past the trans and t-case. When I had this done 4 years ago the shop routed the p-side under the oil pan and then into one exhaust. Any pics would be much appreciated.
You're right, I don't really have any good pictures of that side posted or in Photobucket. I'll have to dig through my old folders to see if I can find some for you. Or I can take some as is but it would be a whole lot easier to see without the body installed. It was mostly a straight shot back with over an inch of room available on each side between the frame rail and transfercase.

This picture kind of shows it but I will see if I can find a better one for you, specifically after it was cleaned up.

Unread 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #1896
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

image-255492719.jpg

Aren't we all in the same place

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #1897
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
You're right, I don't really have any good pictures of that side posted or in Photobucket. I'll have to dig through my old folders to see if I can find some for you. Or I can take some as is but it would be a whole lot easier to see without the body installed. It was mostly a straight shot back with over an inch of room available on each side between the frame rail and transfercase.

This picture kind of shows it but I will see if I can find a better one for you, specifically after it was cleaned up.

Ok is see how you ran it back. But.....how close is the front d-shaft to the exhaust? If you have a pic of the header/starter/front d-shaft/exhaust pipe, that area. Thanks.
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #1898
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Here you go. This one shows you frame and TC clearance.

From the front looking back.

From the back looking forward. That picture is a little deceiving. It cannot contact the exhaust under full compression.

Unread 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #1899
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
I've got all the wiring cleaned up. I basically laid it out on my driveway as if it was in the Jeep. Here is the harness that starts by the fuse box and goes to the rear.

I stripped the convoluted tubing back to get to all the wires. I couldn't remove it completely due to the grommet at the rear.

Up near the connector was a ball of wires all tied up with a small four pin connector. One wire was red with a fuse holder and the rest went toward the rear of the Jeep. They were never hooked to anything near the fuse box and they ended about half way to the rear. I am guessing they were for the dome lamp but don't know why there are four wires. I took them out.

The main engine harness is on the right side and the head light harness is on the left. I had already stripped most of the engine harness half.

The harness was pretty dirty.

After reading different things, I decided to clean it with Marine Clean. Sprayed it on diluted and wiped it down with a sponge. I used a tooth brush on the connectors. It cleaned up great. Notice the relays near the PCM connector, I am relocating those to under the hood so it takes up less space under the dash.

Here is the entire under hood harness striped and cleaned. I dried them off with a towel and strung them across the bed of my truck to dry in the sun for the rest of the day.

Here is the dash harness.

Picture of the fuse box. The white wire controlled my 3 way switch to the cooling fan. I'm pretty sure I remember the PO had wired the reverse lights to the dome light switch because I could turn them on and off while wheeling at night. I plan on fixing that correctly so the transmission controls the reverse lights. Also notice the jumper wire. I never knew why that was there and why my volt gauge was hot at all times. When I pulled the ignition switch I found the feed to the yellow accessory wire was folded over and not making contact to the circuit. Not knowing what was wrong the PO must have ran that jumper to get the power to the other side of the box.

A picture of the back side of the fuse block.

I got it cleaned up and most of the wires sorted. I'll finish taping them off once it is installed and I can determine the exact location and length of everything.
Hey Mike, do you by chance have anything written down as to which wires go to which pins in the bulkhead connector? I'm trying to wire in a few necessities so I can start driving this thing.

Specifically, I'm looking for a wire that is hot while the key is in "run" so I can prime my fuel pump. I found the light blue wire on top of the steering column for the starter, and that's basically it. Everything else would require me to take my cage / dash down.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #1900
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

Quote:

Thanks, btw, what headers are you running?
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #1901
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Grew02, if you are going to use a relay for the fuel pump, then why not just follow the wire from the coil to the bulkhead connection? That is hot in run.

What setup are you doing, because Ford uses the ECU power the fuel pump relay, so you shouldn't need a special wire for it.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #1902
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

I am trying to figure out which wires go where for the stock harness and bulkhead connector. Right now I don't even have the bulkhead connector in the Jeep. I wired in a 3 position switch to start the motor from the engine bay (through the relay), and I'm trying to figure out which wire on the stock harness is the coil wire, so that I can use my column key instead of a switch.

So by this diagram, I need to figure out which pin on the bulkhead connector is the red (battery) wire, and also the yellow ("run") wire.

(Warning, very large file, almost 1MB.)
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/7328/c...on7273cjwi.jpg
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #1903
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Congrats Mike on the award and thanks again for all your help !

I wish I hadn't looked at your build thread now, I was once kinda proud of 'Black Betty' but now I feel like I'm polishing a turd.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #1904
jhughes2013
1977 CJ7 

Quote:

Sorry to bring up an older post. I ran my exhaust the same way. Mufflers are side in, opposite side out. Fits just barely. I also centered the fuel tank and ran 3.5" tips out the back. I wouldn't recommend the 3.5" tips as there is only .25" clearance on either side of each tip. Also, with the 2.5" pipes it took me a long while with a torch and a hammer to make those suckers fit around the front of the fuel tank without touching. In the end it was well worth it. I love the sound. I also have cats just after the headers to muffle the sound since the entire exhaust system of a jeep is less than 6 feet long... Sorry for the non-specific pics but these are the only ones I have access to at the moment.
1075667_1382065138683284_1616473376_n.jpg   942385_1382065155349949_1830708727_n.jpg  
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #1905
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Very Sweet Jeep Coiz! Well done my friend! I dig how those bikini tops set off our CJ's given the height of the main roll bar on mine it gives it that forward canted mean look.

Also on my bikini to spread the top a little more to cut down on turbulent flapping I would the aft ties around the downtubes of the cage., just a thought.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.