Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 125 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #1861
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Im a little late in joining the fun. Im up to page 75 of the thread. Good info here!

~Illinoisan
~Suzuki rider as well (Busa)
~Family in Denver and Southern Co
~My project is a '78 CJ7

Coiz, Im in the I39 & I80 vicinity, I may need some referrals to some of the businesses and there services.
Well thanks for taking the time to read through my build. I'll try to help out anyway that I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Mike, are you running an inertia switch, if so has it given you any trouble and how did you wire it up? thanks
I did install an inertia switch out of an early 90's Mustang and mounted it on the battery tray arm next to my main harness fuses. I haven't had any problems with it yet and I did have the CJ bouncing pretty hard when driving over some pretty large rocks near the river. I'd have to go dig through my wiring notes to see exactly how I wired it but I am pretty sure I wired it where it is on the ground feed in between the relay and the fuel pump switch(PCM). The nice thing about where it is located is that if it ever did give me issues with inadvertently tripping while wheeling, I can easily unplug it and install a jumper between the two pins or just back the two pins out of the connector and tape or solder the terminals together. They are only designed to trip under severe impact so I don't expect it to ever give me a problem.

Coiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #1862
gaspers04
1978 CJ7 

Just finished the thread, awesome write-up and skills. I plan to have my CJ in the garage and down to the frame by the end of this week. I hope that it turns out half as nice as your CJ. Time to put the new sprockets and chain on the 'Busa to make room...
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #1863
Rustbuckets

Mike I have read every post in your entire thread and I am in awe of the amazing work you have done. I recently had my 90 YJ stolen from outside of my house, and have been inspired to look into purchasing an 84 CJ7 that has been sitting in a driveway just up the road for about 7 years. Keep up the incredible work and don't ever lose that attention to detail
Rustbuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #1864
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks to the both of you for taking the time to read through the thread, I appreciate your comments.

Quote:
Just finished the thread, awesome write-up and skills. I plan to have my CJ in the garage and down to the frame by the end of this week. I hope that it turns out half as nice as your CJ. Time to put the new sprockets and chain on the 'Busa to make room...
Thanks for the comments.

By now you should be knee deep in Jeep parts. How is the tear down going? May I also suggest putting some plastic or a tarp over anything you want to keep clean, ie. the Busa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbuckets View Post
Mike I have read every post in your entire thread and I am in awe of the amazing work you have done. I recently had my 90 YJ stolen from outside of my house, and have been inspired to look into purchasing an 84 CJ7 that has been sitting in a driveway just up the road for about 7 years. Keep up the incredible work and don't ever lose that attention to detail

Thanks again for your comments and as your first post, welcome to the Jeep Forum.

Sucks to hear about your Jeep getting stolen. That is something I worry about quite a bit. Good luck on getting that CJ and be sure to post some pictures for us if you get one.
Unread 08-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #1865
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Three years ago this weekend, the third weekend of August 2009, I was in the middle of this. And to think I didn't know how to weld until I started this project. Welding was definitely the new main skill I learned out of the rebuild, most everything else I felt like I had a pretty good handle on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
All of the lips on the rear wheelhouses were basically shot. Here you can see where I have cut off one of the lips and a sample repair piece to weld back on.

Here I have a couple of the lips welded on. Check out the rust belt I need to get cut out.

All of the rear fender lips all welded up and the top lip mostly ground down.

Here is what the passenger’s side rear quarter panel looked like when I started. You can see my practice spot-welds.

Rough cut the obvious bad spots and entire lip.

The replacement lip tacked on.

Here is a picture of the backside of the welds.

You may have noticed in an earlier picture I was trying to fix the rust belt left by where the inner fender support was attached. I had a bad problem with oil canning and decided to just replace that entire section. So I cut it out and made a piece to fit. I still need to bend the lip.

Mostly welded on.

Looks like its all coming together.

It is truely amazing how so many hours of labor can fit into just 10 simple pictures.
Unread 08-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #1866
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Fine job! It's hard to believe that your CJ came from this beginning!

Kudos to you, Mike.
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #1867
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Jim. That welding work three years ago was dreadfully hot that summer.

Here is what I was doing two years ago this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz
To remove the cylinder heads I had to start with the lower intake manifold, headers, alternator, power steering and valve covers.

The driver's side cylinder head removed revealing the bank of pistons.

Close up of cylinder #1. Notice the carbon ring ridge and other small debris in the cylinder. The wrinkle in the carbon is likely from the metal parts cleaner I was spraying on the valves while trying to clean them off.

This took me literally 60 seconds with a brass brush and metal parts cleaner.

A few minutes later the deck is mostly clean and two of the four pistons.

This was somewhere around 10-15 minutes of total scrubbing.

The passenger's side bank 1 looked the same with carbon build up.

Clean away with the brass brush and metal cleaner.

The entire side clean. I also pulled out all of the lifters and cleaned them off as well as the cam lobes. I even wiped a dab of assembly lube on them before I put them back in. I also cleaned out the valley really well.

After spraying out most of the dirt between the piston and the compression ring, I ended up coating a lint free cloth liberally in oil and washed all of the cylinders. Then I would crank the engine over by hand and wipe off all the dirt in the oil that was left in the top of the cylinder by the top piston ring when it moves from top to bottom. There was quite a bit of debris the first several times but quickly lessened. I did this probably 15-20 times per cylinder before there was no more contaminates being left behind in the fresh oil film. I feel an awful lot better about the inside of my engine now.

I got the cylinder heads put back on with some new torque to yield head bolts. They come with the sealant on the bolts that are in contact with the water jackets.

I need to clean it all off again and do some touch up paint work. The rust colored dust drives me crazy!

This should be the last time I ever have to pull these out of the box.

I had to wipe drool off my valve covers again.

Unread 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #1868
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Has it been that long!?!?!?!?!? You sure had an ugly Jeep! What's oil canning?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #1869
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Mike, it took me all day to read up to page 60 of this thread, and I know, I know by now you're likely tired of hearing accolades but I consider you a King of Jeeps, ressurecting this classic CJ. I'm sure Moses Ludel would be proud to grace his pages with the work you've done. And to think that you've taaken the time to post all these photos and details is above and beyond, not to mention your kind words of wisdom to neophytes like myself. I dig that you're into MotoRR as well, one of my best buddies got me into this as he was a local racer up at PIR's (Portland Int'l Raceway) OMMRA back in the '80's which gave me enough background to work for a small track as their results writer (I actually managed to get published in Cycle News a couple of times).
In summary I,

My bike,

..and "Black Betty,

salute you, your efforts and patience in your build and helping the rest of us by inspiring the inner bodyman lurking in us all.
Prosit!
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #1870
gaspers04
1978 CJ7 

"Thanks for the comments.

By now you should be knee deep in Jeep parts. How is the tear down going? May I also suggest putting some plastic or a tarp over anything you want to keep clean, ie. the Busa. "

Thanks for the heads up on tarping, this stuff settles everywhere!!

Looking to buy a plasma cutter and a 220v mig this month or next for the frame work.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #1871
lukenicwalker
1982 CJ7 

I just finished this massive thread. Every word. Hats off. Can my CJ be your CJ's ugly little sister???
Unread 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #1872
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
...and hats off to us that have the time & patience to read the entire thread!
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #1873
jacques25150
1982 CJ7 

re

Hello coiz,
I have reed your post and just a word: BRAVO!!!
a job of a pro and You can be happy in USA while here in France, it is not possible to change the engine, to put a lift, to change tire size, to put original indicators lights, nothing;
and good trip with Your jeep and the R6 (I am also biker on a FJR 1300, normal in France with max 106 hp but mine is normal as in other countries with 1.6 HP and it is better and economize fuel = 0,8 l pro 100 km)
jacques25150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #1874
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

I know it's about the journey and not as much about the destination, but I just bought my first restoration project 1978 cj7 with a 304 and i already want it to be done like yours... This thread is going to be my inspiration to do it right and thorough.

Awesome

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #1875
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
Mike, it took me all day to read up to page 60 of this thread, and I know, I know by now you're likely tired of hearing accolades but I consider you a King of Jeeps, ressurecting this classic CJ. I'm sure Moses Ludel would be proud to grace his pages with the work you've done. And to think that you've taaken the time to post all these photos and details is above and beyond, not to mention your kind words of wisdom to neophytes like myself. I dig that you're into MotoRR as well, one of my best buddies got me into this as he was a local racer up at PIR's (Portland Int'l Raceway) OMMRA back in the '80's which gave me enough background to work for a small track as their results writer (I actually managed to get published in Cycle News a couple of times).
In summary I, salute you, your efforts and patience in your build and helping the rest of us by inspiring the inner bodyman lurking in us all.
Prosit!
Hey, thanks for all the great comments. Posting the thread sure was a lot of additional work but comments like these now that it is basically finished, along with all of those providing motivation and input along the way, sure made it all worth it.

Congrats on having articles being published in the magazines. I got my name in RoadRacing World a couple of times. My brief but successful motorcycle road racing career is something I will be able to look back on and cherish for the rest of my life.

Some good looking rides you've got there.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on tarping, this stuff settles everywhere!!

Looking to buy a plasma cutter and a 220v mig this month or next for the frame work.
We'll be looking for your progress. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenicwalker View Post
I just finished this massive thread. Every word. Hats off. Can my CJ be your CJ's ugly little sister???
Thanks. They are all related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
...and hats off to us that have the time & patience to read the entire thread!
No doubt!

Most people will see a "new" thread that is 100+ pages long and won't even bother trying to read it. The first 3-10 pages will really suck you into mine so if you make it that far you will probably keep reading. I also tried to keep my thread on point so it was "mostly" Jeep related. I sometimes have trouble going back in the thread to find some info for myself or someone else and not being able to find it. I can't image trying to keep track of Dave's, Scott's or the Jim's threads. Sometimes those guys are all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques25150 View Post
Hello coiz,
I have reed your post and just a word: BRAVO!!!
a job of a pro and You can be happy in USA while here in France, it is not possible to change the engine, to put a lift, to change tire size, to put original indicators lights, nothing;
and good trip with Your jeep and the R6 (I am also biker on a FJR 1300, normal in France with max 106 hp but mine is normal as in other countries with 1.6 HP and it is better and economize fuel = 0,8 l pro 100 km)
Thank you for taking the time to read the thread and leave your comments. Sounds like you have strict laws regarding the modification of vehicles there in France. Sounds like the FJR would be fun to ride. My 2001 R1 had 145HP at the rear wheels and it was a handful but so much fun to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
I know it's about the journey and not as much about the destination, but I just bought my first restoration project 1978 cj7 with a 304 and i already want it to be done like yours... This thread is going to be my inspiration to do it right and thorough.

Awesome
Awesome, we'll be looking forward to your build thread. Looks like you need to update your profile. Sorry but the CJ trumps the TJ.

I also got a kick out of your beer snob blog because I have also turned into one.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.