Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 124 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #1846
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
^^^ You ride your bike like you drive your Jeep, time to take the training wheels off.

I put nine miles on mine today. Saw two snakes on the single track trails. One of them was snapping at us.
I used to be serious in to the mountain biking thing when I live in S. Florida. Yeah, no mountains there, but they had a bunch of parks with some really good cross-country trails. Between the ages of 14-17, biking was my life. Well, one night my sister was out talking with her friends until 11 pm or so and when she came in, she forgot to close the garage door and my bike grew feet and never saw it again. Really sucked.

A few years back I bought a really nice Trek hardtail... it maybe has 15 miles on it. Just sitting in the garage. Waste, I know.

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #1847
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #1848
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Mike for you supply line coming from the fuel pump to the front here, did you just clamp the rubber hose to the chrome pipe going to the fuel rail? Do you have another pic of this connection? Also I forget now just so I'm clear which line on the rail is the supply line, that's the lower one that is upfront correct? thanks

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #1849
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The supply line is the one that the fuel injectors are in - also the larger of the 2 lines if there is a size difference. Ideally, if you can use the proper connectors, and splice them into the fuel lines you have run, that would be the best route if you can crimp them together with high pressure line some how. I don't trust the old screw-type hose clamps, unless you have a good barbed fitting on the line to help seal and keep them together...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #1850
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Yea I know, the lack of a barb on the steel supply line on the side of the Jeep worries me a bit. Do they sell barb fittings that connect to 3/8 brakeline style fittings? thx

This site has all the Ford Springlock connections with barbs on the ends:

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/..._and_Fuel_Line

These AN fittings are nice too:

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/08.../photo_22.html
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #1851
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Those barbed connections are pretty cool. Rob, I just put a double flare on the end of the metal lines and slid the rubber fuel injection line over it and clamped with a SS hose clamps. It was the cheap and easy route but works fine and has no leaks. You're only talking about 40 psi at WOT so that is not a huge amount of pressure. The supply is the lower one that goes into the little junction block on the fuel rail. Mine has a schrader valve installed on it. The rubber hose that connects my supply line to the fuel rail is only about 4" long as the two metal ends are within an inch or two from each other. .
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #1852
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Those barbed connections are pretty cool. Rob, I just put a double flare on the end of the metal lines and slid the rubber fuel injection line over it and clamped with a SS hose clamps. It was the cheap and easy route but works fine and has no leaks. You're only talking about 40 psi at WOT so that is not a huge amount of pressure. The supply is the lower one that goes into the little junction block on the fuel rail. Mine has a schrader valve installed on it. The rubber hose that connects my supply line to the fuel rail is only about 4" long as the two metal ends are within an inch or two from each other. .
That's good to know Mike, I am pretty much copying what you did I bought the same fuel pump and Fram filter as you too. I ordered one of the female springlock connections in the site above so it leaves me with a barb to connect a hose to the steel line on the side as well. Cool, I will make a couple double flares on the ends of my steel lines then. I bought a bunch of fuel injection clamps and still need to buy some FI hose. I noticed you have your fuelpump opposite of what I would have thought. I opened the box up for my pump the other night and it had the red cap with the brass fitting on the one end and it said that is the "fuel filter side", but you have it the opposite way with the fuel filter, but does it really matter? Thx

Unread 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #1853
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

When I spoke to the engineer at airtek, they told me to have the large micron/low restriction filter before the pump which is basically the pick up sock in the tank. Then place the small micron filter after the pump and before the fuel rail. You might want to pick up one of those one-way check valves to place before the pump if you have not already. It will keep the fuel from back draining from the pump and help prevent it from dry run on initial start up. Before adding that , I would have to cycle the key 3-4 times before the pump would fully prime and sound normal. Now with the one-way check valve, it is fully primed first key cycle every time.

I'm typing this on my Blackberry from the airport waiting to board my first of five connecting flights to Alaska.
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #1854
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Oh ok gotcha, for the check valve what do you think of this one below, ok? I hear Alaska is nice, hopefully you see some whales, I'll stop buggin' you now, have an awesome vacation

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-way-Chec...2385%26ps%3D54
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #1855
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

That's the exact same check valve that I bought. I believe that's the same eBay seller and all.

Made it to Seattle. Six hours to nap in the airport before I board my next plane.
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #1856
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Coiz - Question on your body seems. When you joined two flanges or made a lap joint and then welded them, did you use any sealant between the metal before joining them? I would think the heat would compromise anything between but I gotta make sure since it's bugging me.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #1857
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Most patches were butt welded so there was no overlap or seam to worry about with those. On the pieces where there was an overlap, like welding the rear inner fender to the quarter panel, I would just get it as clean as possible before joining the pieces. I did spray weldable primer on a lot of the overlap welds but you're right that the weld burns away most of it. That's why I applied a coat of POR15 by hand to all of the seams and then a coat of seam sealer before applying more POR and then finally the Raptor liner.
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #1858
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Okay, that's been pretty much my plan. I've been covering any area which will be covered up such as metal spacers I put between the inner and outer body panels with weldable zinc primer. Once done it will all get etched and coated with POR and then seam sealer. Thanks
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #1859
gaspers04
1978 CJ7 

Im a little late in joining the fun. Im up to page 75 of the thread. Good info here!

~Illinoisan
~Suzuki rider as well (Busa)
~Family in Denver and Southern Co
~My project is a '78 CJ7

Coiz, Im in the I39 & I80 vicinity, I may need some referrals to some of the businesses and there services.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #1860
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Mike, are you running an inertia switch, if so has it given you any trouble and how did you wire it up? thanks

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.