Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 122 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #1816
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hey Mike, quick question. I'm going to start working on my wiring tomorrow, and just curious if you had a good source for wiring diagrams. Stuff like behind the dash, steering column, lights, and my main concern, the two bulkhead connectors on the driver side of the firewall.

I'm going to pick up a new Chilton's in the morning, mine is old and falling apart and barely readable. Hoping it has all the necessary info in there!

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #1817
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Hi Andy,
All of the Jeep related wiring diagrams I have were found on the JF or Google. Most of them I saved off of various John Strenk posts. Most of the stuff I have is listed as 77-79 so I'm not sure if they will be an exact reference to your 1980. I can post what I've got if you think it would help.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #1818
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Was just skimming back thru, thinking of how I'd love to be able to start on mine with this setup right now, when I saw this pic.

That splice with the heat shrink not tight to the wires makes me nervous. I can picture water getting in there, as I never see enough adhesive in heat shrink to fill in completely in the spread wires like that. I'll usually use a really small zip-tie around the 2 wires to hold them together, then shrink the tubing. It seems to seal better that way, and takes some of the stress in the wires from trying to open the tubing more.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #1819
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Mike did you use a canister like this one below? I'm trying to figure out from your page 15, thanks.

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...Grand-Cherokee
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #1820
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Was just skimming back thru, thinking of how I'd love to be able to start on mine with this setup right now, when I saw this pic.

That splice with the heat shrink not tight to the wires makes me nervous. I can picture water getting in there, as I never see enough adhesive in heat shrink to fill in completely in the spread wires like that. I'll usually use a really small zip-tie around the 2 wires to hold them together, then shrink the tubing. It seems to seal better that way, and takes some of the stress in the wires from trying to open the tubing more.
Good catch on that one piece of heat shrink. The problem I was having with that one is that there was no real good way to get uniform heat on it with a standard lighter and my torch pen was out of butane at the time. I did get it sealed up good and with so many redundant grounds, I'll be shocked if it ever gives me a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Mike did you use a canister like this one below? I'm trying to figure out from your page 15, thanks.

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?31467-Vapor-Canister-Install-(-86-C7)-parts-from-93-95-Grand-Cherokee
Hi Rob,
I actually ended up using a canister off of a Mustang since my engine uses a PCM controlled solenoid to turn evaporative flow on and off. Only two lines hook to that style canister. The vapor feed from the tank and the line from the canister to the manifold with the control solenoid in the middle. This post details it pretty well. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #1821
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I'll go ahead and post a picture of if here for you. I got the canister, canister mount and solenoid off the Mustang in the salvage yard for less than $5 and it adapted to the Jeep perfectly. I should note that I did end up having to move the canister up several inches from the spot in the picture to help clear the brace for the driver's side fender well so take that onto account if you go the same route.

Unread 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #1822
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I'll go ahead and post a picture of if here for you. I got the canister, canister mount and solenoid off the Mustang in the salvage yard for less than $5 and it adapted to the Jeep perfectly.
Awesome thanks, I was wondering about using the Mustang one too
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #1823
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Here is a shot of the fender brace I mentioned.

Here it is moved up to clear the brace. Note where the clutch rod comes through the firewall in relation to the main body of the canister. You should be able to make out how far I had to raise it to clear the brace when you compare this photo to the one in the previous post.
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #1824
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the pics, yes I am sure I'll be copying lots of your ideas
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #1825
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend. Thank you to all those who serve in the military and to all those who have given the greatest sacrifice.

As Jim has mentioned in a couple threads, I started off my weekend off with a bang sighting in a new .50 cal muzzle-loader. Jim and his friend also sighted in a 300 Win Mag. We had all kinds of good stuff to shoot.

Here's Jim playing king of the front end loader showing us the biggest guns of the day.

Jim is the first person to ever drive my Jeep besides myself, sorry Scott, and I didn't even go with him. I have a feeling he didn't drive it very hard, next time I'll have to take him for a ride.

I don't know if this is considered muddy but it is certainly the dirtiest it has ever been since the rebuild. If you noticed all the standing water in the quarry pictures above, we had gotten several inches of rain the night before so there was no shortage of ~1 ft puddles to drive through. Not sure why we didn't take any pictures but it was throwing water higher than the hood.

I threw 16 pounds worth of pork on the smoker at 9am. It was resting in dry rub overnight.

I feel sorry for all of you at this moment because you can't smell a picture.

I washed the Jeep in between tending to the smoker so it is all cleaned up and I think it is time to pull the top off for the summer. I hope everyone is having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Unread 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #1826
jhughes2013
1977 CJ7 

**Edited for drunken bewilderment**
Unread 05-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #1827
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Looks good. Just grilled here as well! My Jeep doesn't wear snakes, but this makes up for it

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #1828
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend. Thank you to all those who serve in the military and to all those who have given the greatest sacrifice.

Here's Jim playing king of the front end loader showing us the biggest guns of the day.

Jim is the first person to ever drive my Jeep besides myself, sorry Scott, and I didn't even go with him. I have a feeling he didn't drive it very hard, next time I'll have to take him for a ride.

I KNOW that old man had to have a ladder to get into your Jeep!! Much less on top of an articulating loader. Looks like ya'll had a great time. Did you get the rifles sighted in? Mike, we get that muddy just driving down the roads around here!

And YES, Thank You Vets!!!!! Both living and gone. Dad... RIP.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #1829
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The picture of Jim1611 in Coiz's CJ, ladies and gentleman, is what makes JeepForum so great...good folks who meet online here in the forum and then become friends offline...looks like you all had a great time and it is about time we saw a little mud slung around on that jeep of Coiz's...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #1830
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
The picture of Jim1611 in Coiz's CJ, ladies and gentleman, is what makes JeepForum so great...good folks who meet online here in the forum and then become friends offline...looks like you all had a great time and it is about time we saw a little mud slung around on that jeep of Coiz's...
^^ Yep!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.