Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 121 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #1801
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Mike, I just skimmed through all 120 pages. I am pretty impressed with what you have done with what you started with. Id have scrapped that tub and found another. Your hard work has definitely paid off. Very good attention to detail.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #1802
jeepcj7er
1983 CJ7 

You put a ton of work into that thing. Looks great! How did you relocate the bolts on the inside of the dash for you 5 in speakers? How does it sound, any vibrations from the sound hitting the slotted dash?
jeepcj7er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #1803
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The stereo sounds great and I don't get any type of vibrations out of the dash or speaker grill slots.

My dash had the driver's side speaker slots cut in by the previous owner. The passengers side looked stock and already had a 5.25" speaker installed when I bought it. So I didn't have to make any modifications to fit the 5.25" speakers into the dash. I did replace four of the studs for one of the speakers but only because they were a different thread than the other side and all beat up. I'm not sure if that's something the previous owner did or if it was factory. I was always under the impression that 5.25" speakers were the stock size for the CJ.

This thread might help you out.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #1804
_Ross
1984 CJ7 

I started reading through your build. Amazing work and lots of great techniques that I will hopefully employ properly when I get started next month. Also, I guess it's time to try and brew some beer
_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #1805
jeepcj7er
1983 CJ7 

[QUOTE=Coiz;13273050]The stereo sounds great and I don't get any type of vibrations out of the dash or speaker grill slots.

My dash had the driver's side speaker slots cut in by the previous owner. The passengers side looked stock and already had a 5.25" speaker installed when I bought it. So I didn't have to make any modifications to fit the 5.25" speakers into the dash. I did replace four of the studs for one of the speakers but only because they were a different thread than the other side and all beat up. I'm not sure if that's something the previous owner did or if it was factory. I was always under the impression that 5.25" speakers were the stock size for the CJ.

Thanks for the help! Ill probly just get the centra pod cause my dash leaks water when it rains, but thats good to know that i can fit 5.25s when I fix the leak.
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #1806
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ross View Post
I started reading through your build. Amazing work and lots of great techniques that I will hopefully employ properly when I get started next month. Also, I guess it's time to try and brew some beer
Thanks for taking the time to read through it. I just caught myself reviewing almost 40 pages in the last two hours. Ahh, the memories.

Not sure if you're still in Iraq or back home but let me know if you ever want some help on the Jeep once you start your work on it, I'm less than an hour away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj7er View Post
Thanks for the help! Ill probly just get the centra pod cause my dash leaks water when it rains, but thats good to know that i can fit 5.25s when I fix the leak.
No problem. Any idea if your leak is from the windshield to cowl seal or from the fresh air box to cowl seal? The fresh air to cowl seal is probably the easier to fix.
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #1807
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I just realized I never responded to a couple comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Well now that it's been offpavement, as CJs should be, when can we see some serious mud hangin all over it?
Hell yeah Jim, I am ready to get this thing muddy. Know anyone with a pond I can drive through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffisher55 View Post
Mike,

I've followed your build with great interest, and have learned a great deal. Your skills and competence in several areas is very obvious.

I'd like to pass on a trick I learned years ago from a PPG marketing rep regarding the use of paint strippers. In addition to scuffing the surface as you suggested, he said to put a thick coat of the product on the surface to be stripped, and then cover it with a layer or two of newspaper, causing the fumes to "stew and brew", without drying as quickly. Give it some time to work, and as a bonus, the paint sticks to the paper and is easily disposed of. Usually one application does the trick, which is good, as there are diminishing returns with subsequent applications.

Also, when I saw you add the receiver to the front bumper, I thought that would be a natural spot for a license plate.

Again, congratulations on your one of a kind CJ!

Frank
Thanks for the comments. That suggestion with the newspaper over the aircraft stripper is a great one.

I thought about making a removable receiver to hang my license plate there but the holes were already in the bumper from before so I took the easy road. That always gives me something else to fab and weld if I ever get bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Mike, I just skimmed through all 120 pages. I am pretty impressed with what you have done with what you started with. Id have scrapped that tub and found another. Your hard work has definitely paid off. Very good attention to detail.
Thanks for the comments, it was a long road but a very rewarding one now that I look back on it all. I'm really glad I took the time to post this build thread. Going back and seeing my own progress and everyone's encouraging comments made it all worth it. To think the first year of my build was in the first two pages.

The only things left I can think of is installing the rear seat belt, making a center console and installing my CB radio.
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #1808
jeepcj7er
1983 CJ7 

No problem. Any idea if your leak is from the windshield to cowl seal or from the fresh air box to cowl seal? The fresh air to cowl seal is probably the easier to fix.[/QUOTE]

Its from the windshield seal cause we ripped it and broke the windshield putting it in, its an easy fix cause this time we are hiring someone to put it in.
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #1809
_Ross
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read through it. I just caught myself reviewing almost 40 pages in the last two hours. Ahh, the memories.

Not sure if you're still in Iraq or back home but let me know if you ever want some help on the Jeep once you start your work on it, I'm less than an hour away.
I'm still here for another 21 days or so. Any help is always appreciated, big plan for the jeep in the future. There's a lot of body work to be done and the thing hasn't run in two years. We shall see what the PO set me up with... I really wanted to try my hand in brewing some beer. I already have a full size fridge converted into a kegerator, I figure its high time to put my own creation on tap.
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #1810
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ross View Post
I'm still here for another 21 days or so. Any help is always appreciated, big plan for the jeep in the future. There's a lot of body work to be done and the thing hasn't run in two years. We shall see what the PO set me up with... I really wanted to try my hand in brewing some beer. I already have a full size fridge converted into a kegerator, I figure its high time to put my own creation on tap.
I can help with the beer and the Jeep.

Come home safe, I'll buy you a cold one! Maybe you can come out here for a brew day to see how I do it.

Thanks for serving our country.
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #1811
_Ross
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I can help with the beer and the Jeep.

Come home safe, I'll buy you a cold one! Maybe you can come out here for a brew day to see how I do it.

Thanks for serving our country.
Sounds good
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #1812
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Hell yeah Jim, I am ready to get this thing muddy. Know anyone with a pond I can drive through?
Better put a snorkle on it Mike!! I happen to know a pond you can drive it through.

I think it'd look better with a nice big bull elk tied to the hood though.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #1813
BomberJeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Man 2 days and 121 pages later and I'm caught up. You have done some amazing work on this CJ. Kudos to you.
Unread 04-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #1814
pbudzy
1982 CJ7 

Awesome!
pbudzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #1815
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

At a loss of words. Just spent 2 hours reading through this thread. I started doing homework for my project and this is where I ended up at. Unbelievable job. Always fun seeing a jeep n stang put together being partial to the two makes myself. Congrats on the finished product! I'm not too far over the boarder from you in IN. Looking forward to seeing what the future has in store! There's a big ford show in Mattson, IL every year. May 19th this year. All mustangs. You should cruise the jeep in there as I'm sure you would get a ton of exposure
Kyle
75 cj5 304, Fiberglassed, 4:56, lift, 35s
73 cj5 built 401
2jeeps1stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.