Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #166
dmjonez

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjAl View Post
is it just me or are the louvers on the right side crooked? they veer off twords the outside as they go forward
The hood is slightly angled in most of the photos. I think that's what gives you that impression. It looks different in other views.

dmjonez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #167
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I had to go back and look at it as well after seeing it in pictures. I think a lot of that is camera angle because every picture I took was biased toward the drivers side of center. When I measure from the edge of the tape to the edge of the louvers they are 2 1/4". The very first louver on the right side is spaced out an additional 1/32" of an inch or so from the tape. It's ever so slight but I think it gives an illusion that the entire row is veering off toward the outside even though they definitely are not. No one that has seen it in person has mentioned anything about it and more importantly, I'm completely satisfied with the way they turned out.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #168
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Finishing the Hood

I had a couple dents I needed to take care of on the hood. The main one was there when I bought the Jeep in 1995. I always assumed it was caused by a tree or something.

I pounded out as much as I could from the back side but there was a brace blocking much of the main dent.

Sanded the area to create a nice scuff for the filler to stick to.

Applied the first layer of filler to the area.

Sanded that out with 60 then 220 grit. You can still see a minor low spot.

Applied the second and last coat of main filler to the area.

Again, I hit it with a 17" flat air sander with 60 grit right as it started to solidify to get the main shape then followed up with a quick 220 DAO sander to make it smooth. I should have took a video of this, would have made a great demo.

It was looking pretty straight and I only saw a few pin holes but decided to use a light coat of easy sand on the entire area.

If you can time the sanding just right into the curing cycle you can really cut down on the time it takes to smooth everything out.

Ready for a coat of primer to make sure it all looks good. Feels smooth with my hand.
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #169
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Middle hood dent

Another spot on the hood I had to fix was from an unfortunate incident that happened right after I had stripped and cleaned the hood. I had it standing up air drying when a rouge gust of wind came up and blew the hood over. It landed on its' top but I didn't notice any damage on my initial inspection upon picking it up. After getting some paint on it I could clearly pick out the dent. I was able to smooth out some of it but an inner brace limited how much I could pound out from the back side.

I had to sand that down before I could apply the body filler.

First layer of filler.

Sand that smooth.

Next is the layer of easy sand.

Sand that down to nothing.

Now the dent is non existent and ready for a light coat of primer before color. I need to get the windshield stripped so I can complete the final prep on it as well as get my roll bar sand blasted. I also need to get a hole cut into my dash for a tachometer and decide if I want to clean up the speaker slot cut outs on the driver's side that were hand made by the PO, they kind of look like crap. I need to add some studs for that speaker as it was previously just held on with bolts through the front of the dash. The last thing will be to fix some quality issues on my "new" front fenders. I would like to get everything prepped and test fitted to the Jeep so I can paint the first 75 degree weekend we get. I know that probably won't happen but one can dream.
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #170
TJ-Joe
1984 CJ7 

Nice work ... this is giving me the enthusiasm to get going on my own project.

What brand of body filler are you using?
TJ-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #171
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Nice work man. I bet your excited to get painting.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #172
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys, I am excited to get paint on everything but that is still quite a ways out. Lots of small details need to be worked out before then.

As for the filler, I am using Evercoat Rage Gold for the main filler and the easy sand for the touch up. This was my first time using the Evercoat brand and I love it. I would never use Bondo brand again unless I was just looking to go the cheap route.
Unread 03-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #173
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Mike, what ratio of hardener to filler did you use??? The first pass I made on my body filling, took forever to get hard. I assume I did not have enough hardener. The next patch I added more and it did get hard... The directions are pretty lame to me... thanks...
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #174
CJorDie
1980 CJ7 

Maybe I'm looking at your paint pictures the wrong way, but I hope you didn't paint the inside of the brake drum or the brake shoes
CJorDie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #175
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Mike, what ratio of hardener to filler did you use??? The first pass I made on my body filling, took forever to get hard. I assume I did not have enough hardener. The next patch I added more and it did get hard... The directions are pretty lame to me... thanks...
They actually say using too much or too little hardener will extend the curing time but I don't really see how that can be. I've been told your better off using less than more and temperature has an effect as well. The directions are pretty lame but that's the only thing you really have to go off of. At first I think I was using a little too much as it would go from pliable to gummy in just a few minutes. I also tried to keep from mixing up too much at one time so I wouldn't run out of time during application. I typically started with about a 4" diameter of filler then would make one line of hardener from the outer edge to about 3/4 of the way across the pool. After doing it a few times you can gauge off the color whether you used too much or little. If you haven't watched the Evercoat training video, it is worth the 15 minutes of your time. They cover mixing ratios in the lesson. I was using a little less than they describe because it seemed the line of hardener coming out of my tube was thicker than theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJorDie View Post
Maybe I'm looking at your paint pictures the wrong way, but I hope you didn't paint the inside of the brake drum or the brake shoes
The friction materials were not coated with paint only the back metal edges to keep the rust away. The insides of the drums were painted but again, any part of the surface where the friction material rides was left clean and I will likely perform a light scuff and clean on all the brake parts before I actually get it on the road. The new front rotors are already covered in a light coat of surface rust. I know that paint impregnated brake parts won't function as designed.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #176
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I found one of my college friends I haven't talked to since college just posted a picture of me on facebook. This was taken at the 1996 Easter Jeep Safari in Moab Utah, Pritchet Canyon. To quote one of my life long friends, "Damn that thing has the index ramp skills of a shopping cart." That was with the 4" Pro Comp that was replaced a couple years later.
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #177
xxxxxxxxxsigsev

Great thread! Keep up the good work.
xxxxxxxxxsigsev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #178
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

MIke, thanks for the link on the Evercoat.. That was very informative on mixing.... I think my problem was not stirring the gallon bucket first before mixing... duh......
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #179
Galt
1983 CJ7 

I'm always amazed at what lengths someone will go to in order to repair certain areas on the body or windshield frame etc. Your a better man than I am. I would have replaced that windshield frame with a new one without a second thought. So Kudos to you.

That's an awesome home brew set up you have too. That makes me want to run out and pick up a sixer today.

Great thread, I've subscribed!
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #180
CJ7-1986
1986 CJ7 

looks good!
CJ7-1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.