Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 119 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #1771
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

congratz mike

Unread 12-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #1772
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Way to go, Mike. Late, but in ernest! I'm with Jim... glad I got to watch the build.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #1773
bbc
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Way to go, Mike. Late, but in ernest! I'm with Jim... glad I got to watch the build.
Same here!! Way to go!!!
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #1774
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Nice job. I learned a lot from your thread, thanks.
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #1775
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Does your basement get funky with the fermentaion?
I would do all my fermentation in a closet in my office. The air would get stuffy and full of CO2.
Not really. They do put out a fair amount of CO2 but the room is large enough to where I don't even notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Mike said, "I plan on sending Bill a little thank you of jalapenos and homebrew for the pitman arm. Bill says he prefers lighter beers and I didn't have any on tap so I just finished brewing an American Wheat and a Blonde ale. He'll have to wait a few weeks for them to ferment and carbonate but I hope to get them sent to him by Christmas"

I am looking foward to the day of arrival.

On getting your Jeep dirty, I would really like to tag along. Any Ideas on where you might go?

Bill
The beer will be kegged in the next couple of days. Then I will force carbonate and fill a few bottles for you.

Good question on getting the Jeep dirty. We need to plan a wheeling weekend sometime. I'm looking forward to getting out and wheeling it again, it's been a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Get a small set of needle nose pliers, work it up into the pigtail on the outside of the connector, inside the rubber boot and squease it down a little.
That might work but the way the rubber boot slides over the switch it is intended to hold it in place and keep the water out. Instead, because of the way it fits, the boot is trying to pull the connector back off. This is something I might try to get solved this weekend.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #1776
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
CJ of the month winner!!! Glad to have been able to watch the build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
Congrats, Mike. Outstanding job!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvncot View Post
Congratulations! What an awesome build to follow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms-CJ7 View Post
Wow!!!!

... I'm soooooo jeaulous! When I do finally finish, my CJ won't be anywhere near as beautiful as that!

Congrats Mike!!!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeryii View Post
congratz mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc View Post
Same here!! Way to go!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
Nice job. I learned a lot from your thread, thanks.
Thanks guys.

I'm glad you were all here to follow along and help keep me motivated during the trying times of the build. When I walk into the garage it still sets me back to think about how a vision and idea I had fours years ago has now materialized into this awesome machine. It turned out pretty much just as I envisioned it in my head during all those sleepless nights while thinking about what I had to do next to the CJ. I'm glad but I am also a little sad.

I love driving it and all the attention and feedback I get from complete strangers is pretty dang cool. That, and searching 1979 CJ7 on Google and having my build thread currently come up as the first result is pretty cool too.

Anyway, thanks again for following along. I'll continue to post up any of the finishing touches I complete as well as photos from any of the trips I plan to take in it next year and beyond.

Unread 12-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #1777
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Congrats Mike. I'm looking foward to seeing the Cobra Jeep in person.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #1778
KNelson
1979 CJ7 

"That, and searching 1979 CJ7 on Google and having my build thread currently come up as the first result is pretty cool too."

Really cool... Congrats on the award. Keep posting pictures - I'm leaning on your thread for motivation. Mine is down to the frame in a very cold garage.....
KNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #1779
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

There's a speck of dust right there. See it?
Unread 12-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #1780
tatjr79
1979 CJ7 

I am just starting my teardown, what brand of aircraft stipper did you use? You might have answered this already but I am not all the way through your thread. thanks
tatjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #1781
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Congrats Mike. I'm looking foward to seeing the Cobra Jeep in person.

Bill
Thanks Bill. The beers I brewed weren't quite carbonated enough before I had to leave for my Christmas vacation so I'll have to send them to you in January. Sorry for the wait but I don't think you'd want to drink flat beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNelson View Post
"That, and searching 1979 CJ7 on Google and having my build thread currently come up as the first result is pretty cool too."

Really cool... Congrats on the award. Keep posting pictures - I'm leaning on your thread for motivation. Mine is down to the frame in a very cold garage.....
Cold garage, I can relate. My bullet heater was just enough to make it bearable to work and a shot of Captain in your Coke will keep it from freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
There's a speck of dust right there. See it?
This is not the speck of dust you are looking for, move along, move along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatjr79 View Post
I am just starting my teardown, what brand of aircraft stripper did you use? You might have answered this already but I am not all the way through your thread. thanks
I've tried several different brands of paint stripper including Kwik-Strip Aircraft stripper, Kleen-Strip and POR-Strip.

They all basically worked the same but I like the thicker ones which stick to the surface and is not as runny so it stays in place. The key is to make a quick scuff on the paint surface until it is dull, then add a solid coat of the stripper thick enough to where you can let it sit for 10-15 minutes and it will still be wet. You have to give it a solid 10-15 minutes to allow the stripper a chance to do its' job.

Once it bubbled up, I would scrape off what I could with a gasket scraper then finish it off with a wire wheel. The parts I didn't scuff up enough to dull the paint before applying the stripper took 2-3 coats before it was cleaned. If I scuffed the paint before applying the stripper, 90-95% would be removed on the first pass and the rest came off easily with a wire wheel after a light second coat.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #1782
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

Nice job you deserve it on of the coolest builds on here. I learned s much from your posts
Bobs85Reny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #1783
tatjr79
1979 CJ7 

Thanks, and the Jeep looks awesome!
tatjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #1784
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Coiz - Was your rear body tailgate beam enclosed at the ends like this already, or did you do this? Mine is completely gone and I'm fabbing up new boxes for the ends to put my mounts on, but I couldn't recall if they were enclosed at one time or not. I like your POR sock idea so I think I'll do that before I enclose the end. I also have to access the tailgate hing plate/nut because one of mine came loose when I removed the bolts (luckily the one with a broken bolt in it) so I'll have to set the tailgate into place before I weld it fast again.

Here's what's left of mine. I have some 16ga to rebuild it with.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #1785
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I saw where you had posted asking about that and I started looking through my pictures to see if I could come up with a good picture for you but the best ones I had was the one you posted above and the others you referenced where I cut the ends open and POR'ed the inside of the run.

How you see it in the picture you posted is how it comes from the factory with the ends closed off. If I can find a better picture of that specific area, I'll post it for you. I have around 7,000 photos of my build. I did a good job of keeping the pictures sorted as I went in the beginning but I got a little lazy towards the end so I have a lot of random folders with photos to sort.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.