Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 118 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 11-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #1756
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Well, I finally finished reading it all. Very informative, and it gives me a lot of thoughts and plans on how to go about the future plans of mine. I still love how you used the stock air cleaner system from the T-bird, those cone filters just make it look more hacked, like throwing the cheap chrome open-element air filter on the SBC swap for the hot-rods. Other things that you have done based on the "factory" design like the underhood PDC for your relays makes for much cleaner looks.

Any chance you could make a parts list of where you got all of your swap pieces, like the motor mounts, what trans mount, harness donor, PDC donor, etc? I figure that would help us all to know where to look for pieces for our own swap, and also for you for future reference for any repairs you may need.

Also, any chance on a couple side pics of the finished shifter lever in the forward position and also the rearward position? I would like to see how much room there is, and how it has to be shaped.

Now to start perusing the classifieds, CL, and pull-a-parts for engines, transmissions, and other items.. So much for my savings account!
Thanks for the comments. I'll probably end up editing the first post with additional information and an index so people can find stuff faster in the thread. To answer a few of your questions, the motor mounts are from Advanced Adapters along with my transmission to transfer case adapter and headers. I believe the transmission mount is stock. The wiring harness was from the same Mustang GT I got the engine out of and the PDC is from a 2006 hybrid Escape. There are a lot of good donor vehicles out there for PDC/BJB's.

I'll get some pictures of the shifter for you shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
awesome build, now its time to get it dirty!
The best I've done so far is getting caught in the rain with only my bikini top on. I'll be looking to get it out and get dirty sometime next spring.

I did finally get a chance to replace the pitman arm. I had a drop pitman arm that came with the 4" lift but after installing the tie rod flip, the steering arms were no longer parallel. You can see how low the arm is in this photo.

Bill (Lucdog) was nice enough to give me a stock pitman arm to correct my steering angles. The first thing I had to do was get the old one off. I tried to use my largest three jaw puller but there wasn't enough room for the thickness of the ears to get between the arm and the gear box so I had to use my medium sized puller.

I tired and failed on about three attempts before I decided I needed a little help from the blue tipped wrench.

I got it good and hot and the pulley was tight as hell. I gave it three good tugs on the ratchet and I heard the pop. I was thinking, thank God it finally popped loose or did it?

I went to plan B and called a technician friend of mine. He let me borrow his Snap-On puller.

So much easier to install.

I got it put on and everything lined up. I hit it with the impact until it wouldn't spin any further and the arm did not budge. I gave it a couple whacks with a 3# sledge and hit it with the impact again, the arm fell right off.

I got everything put back together and now you can see how parallel my steering arms are. I haven't experienced any bump steer so I'm not sure if I want to install my steering stabilizer or not.

I plan on sending Bill a little thank you of jalapenos and homebrew for the pitman arm. Bill says he prefers lighter beers and I didn't have any on tap so I just finished brewing an American Wheat and a Blonde ale. He'll have to wait a few weeks for them to ferment and carbonate but I hope to get them sent to him by Christmas. This was the second brew of the day, a blonde ale with Northern Brewer and Crystal hops.

There is some serious fermentation going on in my basement right now. An American Wheat with 1056 and another with 2112. The blonde ale is split between S04 and S05 yeasts. There is also a Black Cherry/Grape, a Cranberry/Pomegranate and a swamp mead fermenting as well. The beer only takes a couple weeks before I can keg them while the mead's take months to ferment and many more to age, typically 6 months to a year before you even consider starting to drink them. I had just added more fruit to the mead's in secondary, that's why it looks like they are so active with the foam on top.

Coiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #1757
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike that's allot of beer you're making! You must be gearing up for the trip back home for Christmas. Speaking of holidays. Hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #1758
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got f*cked up just looking at that photo
GR8Tops Exogate, XRC-8, Monstalined tub.
sandandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #1759
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

Quote:
Well the list is pretty short now for sure. I need to run interior lighting, get the 4x4 light working, install a stock pitman arm, decide if I want to install my steering stabilizer, build or buy a center console, install a CB radio and I should probably mount my Hi-Lift jack to the bumper. I might look into getting my seats dyed black or possibly some nice seat covers. Oh and I also want to upgrade to a G4 150 amp alternator.

say WAAAAAAAAA a jeep with out 4x4?!?!?!?!? oi....

just ribbin ya man i know itll be comin along
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #1760
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The 4x4 is fully functional, that's how I got home when I broke my rear driveshaft.

I just need to get the 4x4 light on the dash hooked up. For some reason the single post connection at the switch on the transfer case is smaller than the one on the harness connection. MoC sent me another harness pigtail but it also does not fit right. I either need to find a switch with a larger spade to match the harness connector or find a pigtail with a smaller connection that will fit the switch I already have.
Coiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #1761
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Does your basement get funky with the fermentaion?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #1762
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Does your basement get funky with the fermentaion?
I would do all my fermentation in a closet in my office. The air would get stuffy and full of CO2.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #1763
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Mike said, "I plan on sending Bill a little thank you of jalapenos and homebrew for the pitman arm. Bill says he prefers lighter beers and I didn't have any on tap so I just finished brewing an American Wheat and a Blonde ale. He'll have to wait a few weeks for them to ferment and carbonate but I hope to get them sent to him by Christmas"

I am looking foward to the day of arrival.

On getting your Jeep dirty, I would really like to tag along. Any Ideas on where you might go?

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #1764
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
The 4x4 is fully functional, that's how I got home when I broke my rear driveshaft.

I just need to get the 4x4 light on the dash hooked up. For some reason the single post connection at the switch on the transfer case is smaller than the one on the harness connection. MoC sent me another harness pigtail but it also does not fit right. I either need to find a switch with a larger spade to match the harness connector or find a pigtail with a smaller connection that will fit the switch I already have.
Get a small set of needle nose pliers, work it up into the pigtail on the outside of the connector, inside the rubber boot and squease it down a little.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #1765
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

CJ of the month winner!!! Glad to have been able to watch the build.
dscf4447.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #1766
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Congrats, Mike. Outstanding job!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #1767
kvncot
1981 CJ7 

Congratulations! What an awesome build to follow!
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #1768
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Well done, Mike!
Unread 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #1769
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Wow!!!!

... I'm soooooo jeaulous! When I do finally finish, my CJ won't be anywhere near as beautiful as that!

Congrats Mike!!!

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #1770
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im gonna need to invest in one of those snap on pullers, i broke 2 pullers rated at 5 tons and used about half a canister of propane from my torch and i still didnt get it off...
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.