Well, I finally finished reading it all. Very informative, and it gives me a lot of thoughts and plans on how to go about the future plans of mine. I still love how you used the stock air cleaner system from the T-bird, those cone filters just make it look more hacked, like throwing the cheap chrome open-element air filter on the SBC swap for the hot-rods. Other things that you have done based on the "factory" design like the underhood PDC for your relays makes for much cleaner looks.
Any chance you could make a parts list of where you got all of your swap pieces, like the motor mounts, what trans mount, harness donor, PDC donor, etc? I figure that would help us all to know where to look for pieces for our own swap, and also for you for future reference for any repairs you may need.
Also, any chance on a couple side pics of the finished shifter lever in the forward position and also the rearward position? I would like to see how much room there is, and how it has to be shaped.
Now to start perusing the classifieds, CL, and pull-a-parts for engines, transmissions, and other items.. So much for my savings account!
Thanks for the comments. I'll probably end up editing the first post with additional information and an index so people can find stuff faster in the thread. To answer a few of your questions, the motor mounts are from Advanced Adapters along with my transmission to transfer case adapter and headers. I believe the transmission mount is stock. The wiring harness was from the same Mustang GT I got the engine out of and the PDC is from a 2006 hybrid Escape. There are a lot of good donor vehicles out there for PDC/BJB's.
I'll get some pictures of the shifter for you shortly.
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith
awesome build, now its time to get it dirty!
The best I've done so far is getting caught in the rain with only my bikini top on. I'll be looking to get it out and get dirty sometime next spring.
I did finally get a chance to replace the pitman arm. I had a drop pitman arm that came with the 4" lift but after installing the tie rod flip, the steering arms were no longer parallel. You can see how low the arm is in this photo.
Bill (Lucdog) was nice enough to give me a stock pitman arm to correct my steering angles. The first thing I had to do was get the old one off. I tried to use my largest three jaw puller but there wasn't enough room for the thickness of the ears to get between the arm and the gear box so I had to use my medium sized puller.
I tired and failed on about three attempts before I decided I needed a little help from the blue tipped wrench.
I got it good and hot and the pulley was tight as hell. I gave it three good tugs on the ratchet and I heard the pop. I was thinking, thank God it finally popped loose or did it?
I went to plan B and called a technician friend of mine. He let me borrow his Snap-On puller.
So much easier to install.
I got it put on and everything lined up. I hit it with the impact until it wouldn't spin any further and the arm did not budge. I gave it a couple whacks with a 3# sledge and hit it with the impact again, the arm fell right off.
I got everything put back together and now you can see how parallel my steering arms are. I haven't experienced any bump steer so I'm not sure if I want to install my steering stabilizer or not.
I plan on sending Bill a little thank you of jalapenos and homebrew for the pitman arm. Bill says he prefers lighter beers and I didn't have any on tap so I just finished brewing an American Wheat and a Blonde ale. He'll have to wait a few weeks for them to ferment and carbonate but I hope to get them sent to him by Christmas. This was the second brew of the day, a blonde ale with Northern Brewer and Crystal hops.
There is some serious fermentation going on in my basement right now. An American Wheat with 1056 and another with 2112. The blonde ale is split between S04 and S05 yeasts. There is also a Black Cherry/Grape, a Cranberry/Pomegranate and a swamp mead fermenting as well. The beer only takes a couple weeks before I can keg them while the mead's take months to ferment and many more to age, typically 6 months to a year before you even consider starting to drink them. I had just added more fruit to the mead's in secondary, that's why it looks like they are so active with the foam on top.