Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 117 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJ

Unread 11-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #1741
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Mike, yours is just a awesome looking Jeep and more. Still should have went with the heart rims though.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I'll have to reconsider those when I'm contemplating bead locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
The Cobra emblems... ROCK! You make me want to go out and KICK my Jeep!
Thanks Scott. All in due time and your's will be shiny too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
You finished the Jeep before I finished reading thru the build pages. Couldn't resist flipping to the end of the book though! Great job.
Thank you, it is a long read for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8ya View Post
Your Jeep is a thing of beauty. Now that it's 'done' you will need to post a monthly picture of it to keep this thread alive so we all don't go through withdrawl.
Thanks. I think I might be able to dream up a couple before, during and after montages. I'll also be frequenting the thread on winning every summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Nice fit on the top and doors Mike. What's next on the list of things to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeryii View Post
yea whats next?
Well the list is pretty short now for sure. I need to run interior lighting, get the 4x4 light working, install a stock pitman arm, decide if I want to install my steering stabilizer, build or buy a center console, install a CB radio and I should probably mount my Hi-Lift jack to the bumper. I might look into getting my seats dyed black or possibly some nice seat covers. Oh and I also want to upgrade to a G4 150 amp alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Is that SuperTop? I just did the tinted windows and upgraded to sliding glass doors on my ragged old SuperTop. I'm happy with it.
I bought that Bestop right before I parked it for those 9 years so it has only seen a couple thousand miles worth of use, the rest of the time it was stored inside. Other than just a bit of yellowing of the windows I think it has held pretty well. The screws that hold the handles on the doors are surface rusted so I'll replace those with SS hardware.

I finally got the last emblem installed too.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #1742
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Wow, I'm on page 77 of 117... I'll probably comment more later. All I have to say so far, is beautiful work, and also:

Thanks a lot, now I'm gonna have to go to the P-A-P and get myself that NP435 and 302 I've been pondering over. I think that video when you fired it for the first time after the rebuilding sold me on it. I think that would beat the issues of fighting this carb I've been fighting.

One question on the engine though. Do the 5.0 hunt for idle as much as my 2.3T does?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #1743
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I had a 1987 2.3L turbo coupe for a while and I don't remember having any rolling idle concerns but that was also a vane air meter car.

The 5.0L is a little unique in that I have a PCM for an automatic but obviously have a manual trans. At first I had issues with the idle stumbling and sometimes even stalling when coming to a stop. I remedied that by grounding the neutral safety switch at the PCM. This provided an additional dashpot mode so the idle basically hangs about 200 rpm higher then normal for about 2 seconds before returning to base idle.
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #1744
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

What do you think, is this too much?

Unread 11-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #1745
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Never to much.

If it's a Cobra shouldn't the strips be blue?

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #1746
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I don't think its to much, with the Jeeps I have, yes.

Mine would read:

If your jeep looks nicer than mine
You can't park here.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #1747
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

I just cast my ballot for CobraJ-7 to be CJ of the month for December 2011!!

Awesome, awesome build, Mike. I finally spent some time and looked at the first half of the build thread, which I had never done before. WOW!!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #1748
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Just cased my vote also

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #1749
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Great sign! Glad you put your name on it... in case you forgot!!

You know... a very thin blue pin stripe between the black, and another on each side of the black MIGHT be cool!

Mike, do you remember where in your thread you were cutting your wheel openings and fitting the stock fender flares? I need to revisit that. I think that's what I need to do on Clay's Jeep. Would you take a minute and check out his thread (last page) and see what you think I should do for the rear openings?

Thanks

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #1750
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Very nice COIZ! On a side note, how do you like your 2011 Super Duty? I have had mine about 5 days. Have you done the new software flash for the 405 HP and 800 ft lbs. of torque?
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #1751
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Well, now CJ has two meanings, Civilian Jeep and Cobra Jet!

Mike, you are an inspiration, thanks for the pics and write up.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #1752
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That sign and that Jeep will look great in my shop Mike. You've done enough, I'll take it from here.

Best of luck on the CJ of the month contest.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #1753
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Never to much.

If it's a Cobra shouldn't the strips be blue?
Not when it's my resto mod and I like black and white. I debated for a long time to go with a solid blue as compared to the Cobra theme with racing stripes. I'm glad I went this route because it certainly is a one of a kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I don't think its to much, with the Jeeps I have, yes.

Mine would read:

If your jeep looks nicer than mine
You can't park here.

Bill
lol, nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
I just cast my ballot for CobraJ-7 to be CJ of the month for December 2011!!

Awesome, awesome build, Mike. I finally spent some time and looked at the first half of the build thread, which I had never done before. WOW!!!
Thanks for the vote. You're just reading the beginning now? It seems that 75% of the build is on the first 10 pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Just cased my vote also
Thanks Glenn. That package was placed in the mail today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Great sign! Glad you put your name on it... in case you forgot!!

You know... a very thin blue pin stripe between the black, and another on each side of the black MIGHT be cool!

Mike, do you remember where in your thread you were cutting your wheel openings and fitting the stock fender flares? I need to revisit that. I think that's what I need to do on Clay's Jeep. Would you take a minute and check out his thread (last page) and see what you think I should do for the rear openings?

Thanks
Sure Scott. The part where I cut and rewelded the lip is right here. I installed the flares in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
Very nice COIZ! On a side note, how do you like your 2011 Super Duty? I have had mine about 5 days. Have you done the new software flash for the 405 HP and 800 ft lbs. of torque?
Thanks. I love my 6.7L! So much nicer than the 6.0 and 6.4L engines. I do have the 400/800 power upgrade and average about 18.5 mpg with the 3.73's. A coworker has the 3.55's and he averages almost 20. I love my truck and it just rolled over 35,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
Well, now CJ has two meanings, Civilian Jeep and Cobra Jet!

Mike, you are an inspiration, thanks for the pics and write up.
Thanks. Coming to an end it is hard to come up with stuff to post but I do have a few more things to take care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
That sign and that Jeep will look great in my shop Mike. You've done enough, I'll take it from here.

Best of luck on the CJ of the month contest.
Thanks Jim. You know, I've got the week off, maybe I should borrow a car hauler. That would sure free up some space in the garage for the winter and you could bring it back to me when you visit Byron in the spring.
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #1754
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Well, I finally finished reading it all. Very informative, and it gives me a lot of thoughts and plans on how to go about the future plans of mine. I still love how you used the stock air cleaner system from the T-bird, those cone filters just make it look more hacked, like throwing the cheap chrome open-element air filter on the SBC swap for the hot-rods. Other things that you have done based on the "factory" design like the underhood PDC for your relays makes for much cleaner looks.

Any chance you could make a parts list of where you got all of your swap pieces, like the motor mounts, what trans mount, harness donor, PDC donor, etc? I figure that would help us all to know where to look for pieces for our own swap, and also for you for future reference for any repairs you may need.

Also, any chance on a couple side pics of the finished shifter lever in the forward position and also the rearward position? I would like to see how much room there is, and how it has to be shaped.

Now to start perusing the classifieds, CL, and pull-a-parts for engines, transmissions, and other items.. So much for my savings account!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #1755
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

awesome build, now its time to get it dirty!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.