Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 115 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #1711
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
You're right that documenting and posting does take a significant amount of time but reading all of your responses and feedback makes it all worth it. The Word document I type my main posts into before posting them here is now on page 115 and I'm up to around 7,000 photos which comes to around 5.7GB of space on the hard drive. The sad thing is no matter how many photos you take, there is always something you miss. Little details here and there that cause me to search other builds to find answers or ideas.
With your photos, do you then upload them to a pic hosting site like image shack or photobucket and then type the link addy into your Word document? That's how I've been doing it but it's time consuming, especially when every pic is 2-4mb. If theres a quicker way, I'm all ears!

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #1712
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hey Mike, I found your next upgrade. It even comes with a roll bar mount! Click me!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #1713
1983 CJ7 

Great idea, but buy two, and mount one underneath so we can see the next driveshaft carnage
Unread 10-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #1714
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
Mike... It is one of the nicest CJ-7's I have ever seen. You went above and beyond, especially with the Ford engine. I love the way your engine compartment looks!! Would love to spend some time in person to take it all in and go for a ride!

Thanks Boom. I'm sure we'd have a good time over a couple beers talking about CJ's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32 View Post
very well done...you can throw all the money you want on big name parts but if you engine bay isn't clean and tidy, I ain't interested.
Yeah, there was a lot going on with some of the wiring but it all turned out pretty tidy considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3140 View Post
Boone County Memorial Garden ? You have a pass to this place or what? Nice job on the Cj!!
Nah, it's just a place close to my house that I thought would be a good place to snap a couple good pictures. My friend is going to bring out his Nikon D80 for some pictures we'll probably take in a park or field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Ditto Boom.

I can't believe your done and driving that beast! Seems like yesterday you were wrinking your fingers in the wet sand! I am in love with the louvers!
Ah yes, my wrinkled hands from wet sanding, seems like only yesterday. Is that worthy of the injuries thread?

Oh, and it's not done. I've been saving a few little things to help me pass the time this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
Hey Mike... How about a video of you driving it up and down the road?
You don't like staring at the dash and listening to Boston? You want the camera looking around from inside the Jeep or from someone filming from outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Boom, take a 3/4" or 7/8" o-ring (or two) and put it over the clevis screw so it fits between the D-ring and clevis side. Provided the D-ring is a thick one that takes up most of the space between the holes in the clevis, that is.

Ditto on the awesome job. I'm still reading thru all the pages. I like that the entire body is encapsulated with POR-15. I was only going to do the bottom but now I'm rethinking things.
Nice tip on using thick O-rings to pinch the D-rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopotzner View Post
I've been following this thread for a while, but I needed to comment: That engine looks like it was made to go there.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
With your photos, do you then upload them to a pic hosting site like image shack or photobucket and then type the link addy into your Word document? That's how I've been doing it but it's time consuming, especially when every pic is 2-4mb. If theres a quicker way, I'm all ears!
Yes, I upload them to photobucket and just cut and past the [img] link to the Word document. Lately I have been typing everything into the reply field first and once I am finished detailing and editing, I will cut and paste that to the Word doc as a backup to the thread. The cut and pasting of the links from photobucket is easy. The upload times vary by computer and internet speeds but I also turned my camera down so most pictures are only ~800 KB. For the finished jeep pictures those are ~1.4 MB. Loading 10-12 pictures at a time is not that long for me but yours are also three times the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Hey Mike, I found your next upgrade. It even comes with a roll bar mount! Click me!
My friend with the D80 also has one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Great idea, but buy two, and mount one underneath so we can see the next driveshaft carnage
Dave, will you head up my driveshaft memorial fund?

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #1715
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

LOL! One taken from the outside of the Jeep, preferably with a hot bikini-clad woman driving it. If that is not possible, than I guess you will do. :-)

Love the videos with Boston in the background and also testing the stereo with Rush!!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #1716
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

One of my projects for the day.

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #1717
1983 CJ7 

Mike, I like Hella 500's, how do they compare in quality to the KC's?
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #1718
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
The really GREAT thing about this is that the engine looks like it's supposed to be there. Lots of motor swaps go for the all-out, SEMA-style look that says "Hey, check out this $h!t right here boss!11one" in big bold letters.

But this one doesn't. You pop the hood and it looks like it's a factory built vehicle. That is so sweet!
sandandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #1719
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Mike, I like Hella 500's, how do they compare in quality to the KC's?
That's hard to say Dave. I've always liked the Hella brand but I found these 5" KC lights on sale and I had an additional discount with free shipping so it was a no brainer. I definitely wanted to stick with the round lights instead of the rectangular ones like I had previously.

The only obvious difference I see between the two brands is that the Hella's have a single post/bolt mounting system while the KC lights have a flat base. The single post might work better when mounting to a tube bumper or anything else with a non-flat surface. The flat base on the KC lights might be better suited to mount on flat surfaces as it would look funny if mounted on a tube or round surface. Both brands of lights appear to be at the same price point. I've got pictures coming shortly so you can see for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandandson View Post
The really GREAT thing about this is that the engine looks like it's supposed to be there. Lots of motor swaps go for the all-out, SEMA-style look that says "Hey, check out this $h!t right here boss!11one" in big bold letters.

But this one doesn't. You pop the hood and it looks like it's a factory built vehicle. That is so sweet!
Thank you for the comments. Keeping the engine compartment clean was one of my top priorities. Contending with all the wiring was probably the most difficult part of that. Having a stock style air filter housing also makes it look more like a factory install as compared to the typical K&N conical just hanging out there somewhere.

I've got my lights installed and wired. I was up until almost 3AM last night doing some other detailing work finishing up the stereo wiring and even started to install my soft top frame.

Short list of things to do is to remove my drop pitman arm and install the stock one that Bill (Lucdog) so graciously gave to me, get my 4x4 light hooked up correctly using the harness extension Moc sent me and get the proportioning valve brake light switch converted from the two wire switch to the single wire switch supplied by Inline Tube. Uploading pictures of the fog lights shortly.
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #1720
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The first thing I did to get my motivation level up was to finish covering the wiring for the winch. I disconnected it from the battery and pulled it out to where I could easily get the new convoluted covering over the wires and tape it up.

Now I don't have to worry about the wires chaffing and it has a much cleaner look at the battery. Also notice I got my D300 vent tube ran. All the little details are falling into place.
Unread 11-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #1721
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

How about a shot of those lights installed, Mike?
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #1722
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

My front bumper already had holes drilled from my previous fog lamps which were reclangular with the single post mount. I never filled them during the refab of my bumper so I just used the same holes.

The square base of the new lamps are not perfect with the line of the bumper but I prefer having them set back anyway.

I like them recessed so they are more flush with the face.

Here they are both mounted. That took all of 5 minutes.

Next comes the hard part of running the wiring. It's not that it's hard, just time consuming.
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #1723
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The first thing I did was lay out the wiring and run it exactly where it was going to go. During my intial wiring of the CJ, I had pre-terminated a feed wire from a deticated fog lamp relay in the box above the battery. You can see it on the passenger fender with the blue heat shrink on it. Fishing the wires under and through the winch mount was a bit of a challenge. I cut them to approximate length and pulled them all out. Next I taped the wires and installed the main portion of convolute. Here is it kind of laid out in place.

I started on the drivers side lamp. Soldered all the connections.

Adhesive lined heat shrink tubing on every connection.

Finish off the convolute.

Tape it all up.
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #1724
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Passenger's side lamp got the same treatment.

Add the adhesive lined heat shrink.

Did I mention that I love adhesive linded heat shrink?

Add the convolute.

Tape it all up.
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #1725
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

This is where I tied into a dedicated ground wire which is ultimately connected to the frame, body and battery depending on which splice you follow.

Heat shrink.

Main power hook up at the fender, 10g feed from the relay into dual 14 gauge to the lamps.

More adhesive lined heat shrink.

Tape the harness back up.

The only thing left was to wire up the switch.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.