Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 111 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 09-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #1651
1983 CJ7 

At least Bluebell icecream and Shiner Bock are still made in the USA

Unread 09-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #1652
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
At least Bluebell icecream and Shiner Bock are still made in the USA
Mug root beer + store brand vanilla ice cream. Made in 'merica.

Mike I think you'll be happy with the tires. As for the rims, only you will be able to decide if you like them. Since you have 5 total, will you put the 3.75" backspacing on the spare?
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #1653
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I need pics, the suspense is killing me.
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #1654
apmonte

I've already seem the tires mounted on the rims. They look GREAT! Now, if Mike can just work through a few issues, he can post an update!
apmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #1655
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Tires Mounted and Balanced

Sorry for the delay everyone.

The wheels came out with a much nicer finish than the first time but I also ended up with a few small runs. No big deal to me.

I got them all mounted up with new valve stems after letting the paint cure on the wheels for 4-5 days.

I took them with me to a dealership and had them balanced on a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancer. This is pretty much the top of the line wheel balancer on the market. For those unfamiliar with the machine, notice the large drum behind the tire. That presses against the tire during part of the spinning test and records the variances in sidewall pressure. It will give you a value in pounds and indicates where on the tire it is measured.

For example, if it gives you a reading of 20 pounds, that means it is basically just like hitting that spot of the tire with a 20 pound hammer every time it contacts the pavement while at speed. For typical passenger truck tires anything below 30 pounds should not be an issue. If I am working on a problem child with a vibration I always shoot for under 18 pounds.

What's really nice about this machine is that it can also measure rim runout so it has the ability to tell you how to index the tire on the wheel to minimize the road force and the amount of wheel weights needed. If you really want to take the time, you can even number the tires and wheels one through five and it will be able to tell you how mix and match all of them together to get the lowest possible readings and weight usage.

I had a problem with one of the tires, notice the white grease pencil mark on the tire. That is the point of the indicated highest amount of road force. On this tire, the indicated amount of maximum road force was actually really good at only 4 pounds.

The problem I had with the tire is that it wanted 2.5 pounds of weight to balance out.

I've been told by tire engineers that any tire under 36" that requires more than 6 oz of weight per side has a problem. Notice the tire actually measure really low at 4# of road force but the massive amounts of weight split 180* out indicates an obvious tire issue. We spun the tire on the rim 180* and then another 90* trying to reduce the amount but it made very little difference. You could actually see the shoulder of the tire moving over 1/4" side to side while spinning up during the balance. Morris4x4 was very prompt at issuing me a return label and had another one on its' way next day, awesome customer service. The rest of the tires balanced out with the typical 2-4 oz.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #1656
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

When will you be takeing a road trip with the new tires
1973 Cj5 304 T15 Dana20 Sold

tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #1657
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That's some interesting info on tire balancing Mike. Also the first time I've seen that type of balancer. I can remember the kind that you sat the mounted tire on top of and it had a bubble in it like a level. Things have changed. I like this getting older.

Great service you got out of Morris too!! I like hearing that. I'll be looking forward to seeing them on the Jeep.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #1658
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Those tires look completely wicked! I can't wait to see them installed. How did they spin (rotate) the tire on the rim? Partially dismount the tire?? Did it mess up your paint any?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #1659
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

I curious to see what you think of the KM2s. I am going to be needing some tires soon and these are the ones I am leaning toward.
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #1660
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

New boots! Nice. They'll look very aggresive on your 7. I just bought a set of GY MTRs for my '94 1 ton crew cab and I had to put the whitewalls out. I like the look on yours more, but of course you have a Jeep, not a Ford.

<edit> I forgot to mention that the mtrs are noisier than I thought they would be, but the old tires were banana-skin load carriers running at high pressure. They ride mUcH nicer though </edit>
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #1661
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Since you have 5 total, will you put the 3.75" backspacing on the spare?
I plan on rotating in the spare to get even wear on all 5 tires. I don't think the 1/4" is going to be enough to make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
When will you be takeing a road trip with the new tires
I think you have to define road trip. No long trips planned for this year but I am looking forward to getting out and doing some wheeling and camping next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
That's some interesting info on tire balancing Mike. Also the first time I've seen that type of balancer. I can remember the kind that you sat the mounted tire on top of and it had a bubble in it like a level. Things have changed. I like this getting older.

Great service you got out of Morris too!! I like hearing that. I'll be looking forward to seeing them on the Jeep.
Ah, the old static bubble balancer. You're dating yourself just a little bit there Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Those tires look completely wicked! I can't wait to see them installed. How did they spin (rotate) the tire on the rim? Partially dismount the tire?? Did it mess up your paint any?
Yes, I had to break the bead on the tire to be able to rotate it on the rim and attempt the rebalance. That did not do anything to the paint on the rims. The paint did get a little scored where the weights get hammered on but there is not much I can do about that. I was considering using a brush to paint the weights black and touch up those areas to try and keep them from rusting but I am not overly concerned about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfitz99 View Post
I curious to see what you think of the KM2s. I am going to be needing some tires soon and these are the ones I am leaning toward.
I had a couple other things to do that were easier while the tires were still off the Jeep but you'll find out shortly, stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
New boots! Nice. They'll look very aggresive on your 7. I just bought a set of GY MTRs for my '94 1 ton crew cab and I had to put the whitewalls out. I like the look on yours more, but of course you have a Jeep, not a Ford.

<edit> I forgot to mention that the mtrs are noisier than I thought they would be, but the old tires were banana-skin load carriers running at high pressure. They ride mUcH nicer though </edit>
Good to know on the MTR's. I had a feeling they would be fairly noisy due to that aggressive tread design which is so inconsistent from side to side. The KM2's have a consistent tread across the entire face so they should run a little quieter. I still love the look of the MTR's though.
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #1662
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
The Cider brew went well. Here it is in the kettle with the immersion chiller.

Transfer to the fermenter.

Throw it in the fridge until it hits ~70 degrees and pitch the yeast.

Jeep related, I have all four original wheels stripped. Now I just need to wash and paint them. Plan on starting that right now. I posted my four used Dunlops on Craigslist for $250 and they sold in 20 minutes. Maybe I should have asked for more.

what size were they, u had about the look i was going for tire size/lift
Unread 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #1663
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeryii View Post
what size were they, u had about the look I was going for tire size/lift
The Dunlops were also 33x12.5.

This is with a 4" Skyjacker Softride which actually netted me 3.75" by the time it settled.

This is with the same suspension lift but also added a 1" body lift and 3/8" lift HD shackles. That puts me at 5-5.25" inches of total lift over stock. Don't forget I cut the rear fenders.

Give me a little bit to post about upgrading my U-bolts and adjusting my driveline angles and then you can see it with the new tires.
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #1664
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I almost forgot to share this.

I was at one of my dealers early this week and saw this gem in one of the stalls getting a tune up and once over.

The independent front suspension was pretty cool.

Even had some nostalgia.
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #1665
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Wow, not even a single comment about the WWII Relic. I don't even know what it is.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.