Thanks for the comments guys and gecko, your ODTJ thread was a good read. That is a good looking rig.
I had originally thought that I was going to repair my rusted windshield frame. Here is what it looked like.
As you can see there was quite a bit of rust that needed to be removed including the entire front lip.
I actually spent about five hours starting to cut and repair the rusted parts of the frame.
But before I got back to it the next weekend I had stumbled across a 1983 windshield frame on Craigslist for $30. It came with both hinges and all the wiper components including a four wire wiper motor.
Notice how the wiper drives are pointing toward the passengers side.
They were both tweaked the same way. You can see how far it is bent, it should be pointing directly forward.
I was able to take off the wipers and used a deep well socket to bend them back to straight but I was nervous that the metal had been weakened due to the repeat flexing. Once I pulled them apart I quickly realized why they both bent. The locating tab in the sheet metal on the passengers side had become distorted so the entire mechanism turned and wedged itself. The motor pulled on the arm and so they both bent. This windshield frame only needed the wiper spots repaired and a small lip that is ultimately hidden by the windshield seal. It was going to be quicker and easier to use this frame so I decided to swap the wiper arm openings from my original frame to the replacement frame.
Here it is all welded on.
A picture of the welds from the back side. Not perfect but pretty good considering I couldn't really weld it from this side.
Here is how the front of it looks with all the welds grounded down. A light coat of body filler should smooth that right out.
The only other spot on the frame that was rusted enough to be replaced was the forward facing lip on the lower windshield edge you might have noticed in earlier photos. So I cut out the rusty sections and welded on a replacement metal lip.
I ended up replacing about 3/4 of the entire lip.
I gave it a quick once over with the grinder to smooth things out then put on a couple light coats of primer to keep the rust away until I get the chance to completely strip and paint the frame. I'll take care of the final sanding and filler work at that time. The entire lip portion will be hidden behind the window seal anyway.
My hood is at the Hotrod shop getting the louvers stamped this week. Hopefully I'll have an update about that in the next couple of days. I am curious to see how they turned out. I hope they look good and are not to gaudy.