Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 109 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #1621
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

On that same note of tire balancing, I have begun stripping the paint off my existing wheels but I am still toying with the idea of buying some new rims.

It sure is nice owning my own tire changer.

Here is a wheel before I started. The PO had primed and painted them black. They held up fairly well.

The first one I scuffed up pretty well with a wire wheel.

Then I used paint stripper to finish it off.

Finished with one and starting another.

A shot of the same wheels from the back.

On the second wheel I skipped the wire wheel and went straight to the paint stripper. Worked like a charm.

Two down and two to go.

Oddly enough, as I was stripping the wheels in my driveway, a white TJ drove by that had a polished wheel on the front and a black spare wheel mounted on the rear axle. My first reaction was, wow that polished wheel really sets off that Jeep but the black rear makes it look more tough. So now I am back on the fence about buying new wheels again. I haven't been this torn over something for a long time. I either need to buy another 8 spoke to strip and paint black for a spare or buck up for a set of polished wheels. If I do go polished, I think the AR-23's are on the top of my list. I think they would go well with the Cobra theme on my Jeep.

Here is a shot of my CJ, imagine the wheels freshly painted black to match the frame and bumpers.

I couldn't find a picture of a white CJ with the AR-23 wheels, so here is a shot of another white Jeep with the wheels I'm thinking about buying for reference. I hope Andy doesn't mind me using a picture of his ride.

What to do, what to do......

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #1622
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

What are you planning to do with your current rims? Repaint them black? Maybe mount them up (since you have your own machine ) with no paint, or polish them a bit. Then pull them back off and paint them. See which you like better.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #1623
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Finish painting your old rims and mount them up. That will solve the immediate question as to how much you like them. If you don't, then they're ready to sell.

I think either set will look good. I understand your dilemna

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #1624
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I'm still on the fence about using the Dynabeeds or similar balancing solutions. Having read a lot of information it sounds like they are not a cure all for tire balancing as you still might have to use standard wheel weights to get a complete balance.
I have Dynabeads in my 5 40s. The tire shop didn't have a balancer large enough for them so it was the only choice... other than golf balls or other similar home-spun-snake-oil remedies. My choice would have been to have the tires go on a balancer and to have used external weights as required.

I've had several friends with bad vibration and steering/suspension issues remove their beads and go back to externally balanced tires to correct their problems.

I've never known anyone go the other and say "yeah, those dynabeads fixed my problem".

I'll drive the Scrambler with the beads, but if I experience any steering or suspension issue, they will be removed and externally balanced (as soon as I can find a large enough balancing machine...).
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #1625
johnsom5
1986 CJ7 

These aren't the rims you're looking at, but it may give you a different look at what a white Jeep looks like with polished rims. I debated for a while like you. I wanted to do the black and white theme, like you, and was going to order the rims I had in flat black... Not just for the looks, but for the protection. The polished didn't have any clear coat on them. The black rims were on back order for over a month and I needed the rims within a week. I tried sourcing the rims I wanted everywhere, but no one had any and since I already sold the set I had right off the Jeep before I got the new ones, I kind of forced myself into a situation of having to get what was available. My suggestion, if you have the time, polish yours since you already know what they looked like black. Or, Google and Photoshop white Jeeps with different combinations until you find that look you like.
forumrunner_20110902_204824.jpg  
johnsom5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #1626
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Once you go black....... I say the black rims look tuff on CJ's
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #1627
noelpeyton
1984 CJ7 

wheel compare

its not white but my jeep looks completely different with the polished over black tires went from 31" to 35" too
wheelcompare.jpg  
noelpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #1628
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

In my opinion, I think the polished aluminum wheels look better on the CJs. However, I am of the older generation, I guess. Whatever you ultimately choose, will look great, as you have pretty good taste judging by the decisions you made with your CJ build. Looking forward to it!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #1629
johnsom5
1986 CJ7 

I agree with Boomvader on the polished... Even though I wanted black, I now think it would have looked weird being that I had stainless hardware and a chrome grill. Since Coiz had black accents, I think polished might not look right. Imo
johnsom5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #1630
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Just because I have my own tire machine doesn't mean I want to change tires and wheels a bunch of times. Those things are heavy and a PITA to work with not to mention getting them balanced. For now I am going to continue with my plan to paint the stock wheels with POR Blackcote so I can either use them, store them or sell them. I could even get the AR23's now and eventually convert the steel wheels to beadlocks with 35's.

I can't paint POR with high humidity so today I am making a batch of Cider Beer. It costs about $15 to make 6 gallons of Cider at ~5% ABV when it is done. All the ingredients minus the yeast.

Here is a shot of my current batch in which the keg is starting to run low.
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #1631
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The Cider brew went well. Here it is in the kettle with the immersion chiller.

Transfer to the fermenter.

Throw it in the fridge until it hits ~70 degrees and pitch the yeast.

Jeep related, I have all four original wheels stripped. Now I just need to wash and paint them. Plan on starting that right now. I posted my four used Dunlops on Craigslist for $250 and they sold in 20 minutes. Maybe I should have asked for more.

Unread 09-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #1632
apmonte

Just buy the AR rims and paint them black.

Seriously though, I did prefer the silver rims on the pictures that noelpeyton posted, but his jeep is also darker and has "matching" silver trim. (Jeep logo, dash trim and nerf & roll bars) Your jeep is white and black with no matching silver parts.

I'm still voting for painting your existing rims white with a black stripe around the outside. I really think you need the contrast (silver or white) against the large dark black tires. And the white with black stripe would continue the Cobra theme nicely. If you've got enough white paint left over, you could paint some up and see what it looks like. I'll come over and help you mount tires if you need the help.
apmonte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #1633
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

deffinitly worth more than 250 lol

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #1634
1983 CJ7 

I still think MT Classic II's without bead locks would look great...

Unread 09-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #1635
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I still think MT Classic II's without bead locks would look great...

That's my style, there! Beadlocks or not- it looks great.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.