Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 108 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #1606
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
Coiz took me the better part of two days to read all 107 pages. Very impressive build! I'm also partial to your choice in paint job. I own an 07 gt500and like your stripes / cobra theme. I hope to build my jeep once I'm done restoring my old (1966)mustang. Lots of good write-ups and I'm sure I'll be refering back to this thread quite a bit. Thanks for sharing with us.
Thank you for taking the time to read the thread and post a response. I love the GT500's and would really like to have one but it is not practical for me right now. It is also funny you mentioned your 66 Mustang because now that the Jeep is almost done, I have found myself searching CL for early Mustang projects. Not sure if I want to dive into another restoration but if I found the right deal I might consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Coiz, sorry for being late on responding, been busy here. I bought the shims from 4WD.com. Here is a link below. Good quality (machined not cast).... Fit was good and took about 30 minutes to install...

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?kw=spring+shims
Thanks Calvin. I'm probably several weeks away from diving into this but I'm sure I'll post about it after I install some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnmon66 View Post
Just read the entire thread. Unbelievable. That's the best CJ7 build I've ever seen. Congrats and I hope you have big smiles driving that thing for many years to come.
Thank you. It is a little more unique than what I had originally planned but I loved the way it turned out and have a great sense of satisfaction while driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith_207 View Post
love it!!!! awesome build, wanna see the new tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post
Mike,

Speaking of the new tires, have you decided what rims and tires you're going with?

New tires are going to be 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2's. I'm going on vacation for a couple days so I will order them when I get back. Don't want them shipped while I'm not here.

I also plan to use DYNA Beads as a weight solution. I have never personally used them but they are supposed to work. It will keep me from having to use the massive wheel weights you typically need for the larger tires.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #1607
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The Dyna-Beads sound interesting. I've never heard of them before. I don't understand the physics that would cause them to evenly distribute throughout the tire, or how they can react quickly enough to offset vibrations. You will be a good test case for everybody! Won't they be noisy when stopping and starting, clacking together inside the tire?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #1608
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

It is a little weird how they work. Here is a decent attempt at explaining it and lets you "see" them in action.
I'm not sure about being able to hear them inside the tire.

Actually now that I have been trying to find a good source for them I might bail on the idea. The best pricing I have found would be right at $100 for the 40oz of beads it would take for five tires. That is a little pricy.
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #1609
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I know this is naive, but couldn't you emulate the Dyna-Beads with small ball bearings or something? I don't know what kind of weight they would have to be, but a ball is a ball! And a ball rolling around on the inside of a spinning tire would act the same. I would look into the weight issue of the balls. Just a thought... as you slow and balls come out of rotation, they will likely hit the wheel on the inside of the tire and make some racket!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #1610
mrmrezg
1982 CJ5 

I would think that you could get the same results with lead shot. Just cut open a few 12 gauge shells.
mrmrezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #1611
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz
It is a little weird how they work. Here is a decent attempt at explaining it and lets you "see" them in action.Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg I'm not sure about being able to hear them inside the tire.

Actually now that I have been trying to find a good source for them I might bail on the idea. The best pricing I have found would be right at $100 for the 40oz of beads it would take for five tires. That is a little pricy.
I wouldn't have any problem paying this guy for his invention and patent. My tires stay balanced though.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #1612
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz

New tires are going to be 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2's.

What rims/wheels are you gonna use? Sorry if its been posted already, as I didn't see it...

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #1613
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

I know this is naive, but couldn't you emulate the Dyna-Beads with small ball bearings or something?
IIRC, I've read on Pirate that some people actually use the plastic bb's from air-sof (sp?) guns. I too was curious how they would actually provide balance for a large tire - so thanks for posting the youtube clip Mike!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #1614
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
I know this is naive, but couldn't you emulate the Dyna-Beads with small ball bearings or something? I don't know what kind of weight they would have to be, but a ball is a ball! And a ball rolling around on the inside of a spinning. tire would act the same. I would look into the weight issue of the balls. Just a thought... as you slow and balls come out of rotation, they will likely hit the wheel on the inside of the tire and make some racket!
You don't want anything that will rust, inside the tire.
I have the plastic beads ( air-soft) from wally world in a set of 33-13.50-15, LTB,bias ply. They work great. Also have two other friends that use them, with good results, up to at least 60/65 mph. There is a chart somewhere, but I'm on my phone, and don't know to post a link.
Google, inovativebalanceing (sp)

IIRC, I used 3 bottles for the four tires. One of the friends used 1 bottle per tire. ( 38" x 16.5 ) on recentered h1 headlocks

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #1615
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had the beads in my 35" tires on my TJ for a while and was not happy with them. If you hit a bump at road speeds it will knock the beads out and take a minute for them to recalibrate themselves. I also had a bad wobble at 55 to 65 mph with them. I had the beads removed and the tires balanced with weights and the issues went away. I am unsure if CJ leafs are 2.5" wide or not but here is where I bought my shims and they come with centerpins. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #1616
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Won't these beads remove the rubber inside the tire over time???
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #1617
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
Won't these beads remove the rubber inside the tire over time???
There small ceramic beads. I doubt they would wear the tire much. How would they sell a product that destroys your tire?

Curious to see what you do here. I've toyed with the idea of using air soft pellets to balance once I finally get 35s, but have read mixed reviews of bead balancing. Just heard of road force balancing which sounds promising. Back to researching...
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #1618
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Great job! How is the ford powerplant?
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #1619
burntkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I know this is naive, but couldn't you emulate the Dyna-Beads with small ball bearings or something? I don't know what kind of weight they would have to be, but a ball is a ball! And a ball rolling around on the inside of a spinning tire would act the same. I would look into the weight issue of the balls. Just a thought... as you slow and balls come out of rotation, they will likely hit the wheel on the inside of the tire and make some racket!
Absolutely you can use other stuff. I use Daisy BBs. I've also usd airsoft beads. Either works, EXTREMELY well.

Anyone that pays the price for Dynabeads... isn't thinking.

I have also used Centramatic balancers with great success. I have them on the wife's Jeep. $200 for a set of 4- and yes, that's expensive... but I don't have to hear anything from the wife when it comes time to getting new tires. The last set of tires I put on her Jeep, I had 12 ounces of BBs in each wheel, and the "professional" at the tire store went on at length about how stupid that is. She believed him instead of me... after all, he's "the professional"...

.. well, apparently he missed "balance day" at the "tire university", because this is the EXACT same sort of thing that 18 wheelers use to balance their tires, as well as other large tire users (airlines).

Some folks will be concerned about the BBs abrading the tire carcass or the wheel. This is FUD. (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) I have run these on several vehicles ranging from my motorcycle to 37" tires that "couldn't be balanced" on a friend's Hummer. NO problems. The only change I noted was the copper cladding on the BBs was removed. BFD!
90XJ: Custom body armor, HF/MM 8000# winch, ORGS SBS braces, custom exhaust, 4X4 Posilok, Big-O MT's in 33X12.5X15, 6" hybrid lift, Clayton's longarms, JKS discos, liberal fender-chopping with Bushwackers, Rancho 99012 and 99264's.

89 S-10 Blazer: new engine, Vette 700R4 tranny, rebuilt NP231C tcase. Soon will get front and rear Dana 44's

94 ZJ: stock for now. Wife wants 4" lift and 33's... and will never go offroad. WTF, over?
burntkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #1620
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I'm still on the fence about using the Dynabeeds or similar balancing solutions. Having read a lot of information it sounds like they are not a cure all for tire balancing as you still might have to use standard wheel weights to get a complete balance.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.