Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 107 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #1591
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
The KM2's seem to get a little better feedback and ratings across the board on the internet. Mainly in that they are quieter on the street and they wear better/longer.
Thats the reason I would go with KM2s. You will probably see more on road than off driving and the KM2s will pay you back with good wear and silent riding.

The MT/R would be better for someone like twinsstickd20 becuase he sees more off road than on so they give him a more aggressive tread but arent to load when on road is needed.

Hell, buy a sey of both! KM2 summer tires, MT/R winter tires

Looking good as always!

Ben

Unread 07-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #1592
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
Thats the reason I would go with KM2s. You will probably see more on road than off driving and the KM2s will pay you back with good wear and silent riding.

The MT/R would be better for someone like twinsstickd20 becuase he sees more off road than on so they give him a more aggressive tread but arent to load when on road is needed.

Hell, buy a sey of both! KM2 summer tires, MT/R winter tires

Looking good as always!

Ben
Yeah you probably nailed it. If I were driving this off road like I was back in college, I would probably jump at the 35" MT/R's. We used to go wheeling almost daily back then.

Now it is more of a weekend warrior until I get myself moved back to Colorado so the 33" KM2's might suit me better near term. When I do get moved back to Colorado I can always get a set of 35" MT/R's so I can have the best of both worlds.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #1593
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

So I took the Jeep out for work one day instead of driving the company truck. I drove it to one of my dealers about 25 miles away, held my meeting and showed off the Jeep to the dealer principal and technicians. I noticed a small puddle of gear oil under the skid plate when I stopped that appeared to be coming from the rear output shaft seal.

I left that dealer and drove it about 15 miles to another one to hold another meeting and show the CJ to the Parts & Service Director who is a big Jeep and Cobra fan. He used to mud race a CJ5 back in the day and also had a couple different Cobras. While I was there I put the Jeep on the alignment rack just so I would know where I was at.

I figured everything was going to be pretty close because of how well it drives and tracks on the highway. So I was actually surprised to find out I only have .8* of caster. The alignment machine lists 76-80 CJ caster spec at 2-4*. So it looks like I'll be adding a few degrees of caster to my front axle sometime soon.

While it was on the alignment rack I noticed another fairly large puddle of gear oil under the cross member and it was obvious it was coming out of the rear output shaft this time. I'm thinking, this sucks that seal and yoke are brand new.

So I drove it home and cleaned up all the oil, removed the driveshaft then pulled off the yoke. I put my finger up to the seal to see if I could feel any cuts or rough spots on the seal lip. As soon as I touched the seal, the entire thing moved back about 1/8" in the housing. I'm thinking, that shouldn't happen that seal is pressed fit and obviously shouldn't move. So it wasn't leaking between the seal and the yoke, it was leaking between the seal and the housing.

I went to NAPA and asked for the seal expecting it to be a $3 part, $1.99 at Moris4x4, and nearly choked when she told me it was $23. Once I compared the Napa SKF seal to the leaking Omix seal, I gladly paid the extra amount. It was obvious how the metal portion of the Omix seal was very thin and flimsy metal which allowed it to easily distort in the housing. The metal portion of the SKF seal was much stronger, it had green sealing paint around the outside edge and the rubber sealing surface had a smaller diameter which makes it seal to the yoke tighter. Now I'm wondering about my front seal and how long it's going to last. I got the new seal installed and the driveshaft put back on. I drove it another 30 miles or so and all is dry. I'm confident this one won't leak.

After the trip to the dealerships, I determined I drove 77 miles overall after correcting for my 2 mph speedo discrepancy. I had filled up right before I left and then again at the same pump when I got back. I figured my average speed was right around 60mph judging the time spent on state highways, interstate highway and around the small towns. It took 5.0 gallons to travel 77 miles which comes to 15.4 mpg. Not too bad if you ask me.
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #1594
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

I was really surprised at the price of that seal, too when I purchased it from NAPA during my CV shaft install. However, mine has not leaked as of yet...

Great MPG, Mike for all of that performance! CobraJ looks awesome up on that lift!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #1595
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

This thread still amazes the heck out of me! I was just reading older posts from 2010 based on a link from a different thread. What attention to detail and you have proven to be able to tackle any issue small or large with great success. Cheers, Mike! Hope you have an ear to ear grin as you rumble down the road!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #1596
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

You mean the little issues like this?

Thanks for the comment Boom, it is a lot of fun to drive and I get a lot of satisfaction from it. All the thumbs up and waves I get when driving it around is pretty dang cool.
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #1597
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

LOL!!! That was exactly the picture I was referring to! HAHA!

Unread 07-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #1598
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Coiz, I had mine in the alignment shop about 2 months ago. Same problem, mine was about 1.5 degrees. My guy told me it needed to be about 5-6 degrees to drive and wear tires correctly. I bought the 4 degree shims and installed. It drives totally different with the new shims installed. Much better... I am still waiting on the short output shaft from Novak and will go back to get it checked once I install the new AX15....
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #1599
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Any particular place you picked those shims up from? I have called all the local places with no luck so I planned on calling Tom Woods on Monday.
Unread 07-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #1600
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
You mean the little issues like this?

Thanks for the comment Boom, it is a lot of fun to drive and I get a lot of satisfaction from it. All the thumbs up and waves I get when driving it around is pretty dang cool.
That picture, to me, is daunting, and I have a lot of respect for your Mike. Boom is right. I hope everybody left drool stains on your rig after you showed it to them.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #1601
Triumph
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Coiz took me the better part of two days to read all 107 pages. Very impressive build! I'm also partial to your choice in paint job. I own an 07 gt500and like your stripes / cobra theme. I hope to build my jeep once I'm done restoring my old (1966)mustang. Lots of good write-ups and I'm sure I'll be refering back to this thread quite a bit. Thanks for sharing with us.

Last edited by Triumph; 08-03-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 04:22 AM   #1602
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Coiz, sorry for being late on responding, been busy here. I bought the shims from 4WD.com. Here is a link below. Good quality (machined not cast).... Fit was good and took about 30 minutes to install...

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?kw=spring+shims
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #1603
jamnmon66

Wow! Congrats!

Just read the entire thread. Unbelievable. That's the best CJ7 build I've ever seen. Congrats and I hope you have big smiles driving that thing for many years to come.
jamnmon66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #1604
Gunsmith_207
1979 CJ7 

love it!!!! awesome build, wanna see the new tires.
Gunsmith_207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #1605
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith_207

...wanna see the new tires.

Mike,

Speaking of the new tires, have you decided what rims and tires you're going with?

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.