Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 106 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Clayton Off Road WJ Skid Plate TestingIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Reply
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #1576
hallsofstone
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BF'nE, Ohio
Posts: 1,864
This will always be one of the best and most interesting/detailed builds on JF. One of my personal favorites!

__________________
[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"] Jeeping Ohio Every Day[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
00 TJ Sport - Ever evolving DD/Rig [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/jeeping-ohio-hallsofstones-tj-build-1392513/[/url]
85 Suzuki GS700 - ugly

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #1577
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,649
Mike,

Just did a little catching up!
__________________
Under A Sun Thats See It All Before...
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #1578
SaskCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 68
Coiz, I have read your build thread start to finish and am truly inspired by the remarkable level of craftsmanship you have demonstrated on your jeep. I live in a place where for the most part the philosophy is "who cares what the truck looks like, just throw some expensive wheels and a 3000$ stereo in it and you're golden". I am currently rebuilding my own 82 CJ7, and you can be sure your build thread is gonna be a MAJOR source of information. Yours is one of the nicest Jeeps I've seen, and a tribute to the patience and discipline you put into it. Hope mine turns out half as nice. Cheers!
SaskCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #1579
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,617
Hey Mike have you installed the front bumper yet?
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #1580
Coiz
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern, IL
Posts: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
This will always be one of the best and most interesting/detailed builds on JF. One of my personal favorites!
Thank you, I appreciate the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCJ7 View Post
Coiz, I have read your build thread start to finish and am truly inspired by the remarkable level of craftsmanship you have demonstrated on your jeep. I live in a place where for the most part the philosophy is "who cares what the truck looks like, just throw some expensive wheels and a 3000$ stereo in it and you're golden". I am currently rebuilding my own 82 CJ7, and you can be sure your build thread is gonna be a MAJOR source of information. Yours is one of the nicest Jeeps I've seen, and a tribute to the patience and discipline you put into it. Hope mine turns out half as nice. Cheers!
Thank you as well. It has been a lot of work and all that time and effort has definitely paid off in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Mike have you installed the front bumper yet?
Hi Jim, I did get the bumper and winch installed and that sucker is stout. One thing I did before installing the winch was I took the cover off the relay box to upgrade the factory heat shrink on the terminal ends. I was also just curious to see what the relay looked like.


Here it is with the relay cover removed. I was considering upgrading the wiring size but figured I would just run these for now. That might be something I do in the future.


You can see the cheap factory heat shrink still on the red wire and the heavy walled adhesive lined heat shrink on the black.


While I was at it I used MAP gas to heat up the terminals and add silver bearing solder to the crimps. Here are most of the lines completed. I did this to every terminal end.


I didn't really take step by step pictures but I basically bolted the winch to the mounting plate then set it in place. Next I slid the bumper into the frame rail ends and aligned all of the bolt holes. I got all of the bolts started by hand then installed the roller fairlead before I cranked everything down tight.


Here are the bolts on the driver's side rail. The far left bolt is for the bumper tab where it goes through the frame rail and threads into the clevis mount. The first winch mounting bolt also goes through the frame and threads into the clevis mount. The bolt on the far right has a crush sleeve in the frame rail and threads into the heavy duty steering box mount. The bolt that comes down from the top also ties the winch mount plate, bumper and frame together.


The passenger's side gets the same basic treatment. The smallest bolts on the entire setup are the four bolts that secure the actual winch to the mounting plate.


After that I installed the relay box onto the winch.


Hooked up the wires. Everything looks nice and clean. I plugged in the controller and powered it forward and back about an inch to make sure it works. Now I just need to get some D rings for my clevis mounts so I can install the hook on the cable and have somewhere to clip it to.
__________________
Mike
My build thread
1979 CJ7, FI 5.0L Ford, NP435, D300, Full floated D44 Detroit, D30 Detroit EZ Locker.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #1581
Coiz
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern, IL
Posts: 4,168
Here are a couple shots of it out of the garage. Not the best lighting as it was late in the day and starting to get dark.





__________________
Mike
My build thread
1979 CJ7, FI 5.0L Ford, NP435, D300, Full floated D44 Detroit, D30 Detroit EZ Locker.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #1582
mvigo
Web Wheeler
 
mvigo's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,327
that looks complete!! Nice job!
__________________
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #1583
Coiz
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern, IL
Posts: 4,168
Thanks Mike.

It is not quite complete but it is very close. I am looking for a spare wheel to match what I have and think I am just going to repaint them black to match the frame and bumpers. I'm still trying to decide between the KM2's or the MT/R's.
__________________
Mike
My build thread
1979 CJ7, FI 5.0L Ford, NP435, D300, Full floated D44 Detroit, D30 Detroit EZ Locker.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #1584
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,617
Looks to me like you're ready to get that thing dirty Mike.

Hey when you put new heat shrink on the wires are they now water tight? Your bumper looks good all mounted up too. You're almost done my friend.

Both of those look like great tires Mike. Hard choice but I lean towards the KM2s. You going bigger on them than you have?
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #1585
johnsom5
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Whitehall, MI
Posts: 383
I agree with the km2's. Got them myself. And even though my cj is no where near the quality of yours, I still get crap from the guys for not getting her dirty. It's starting to gain more mall crawler status each time I take it on the roads and to the beach.
johnsom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #1586
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,720
I bought 5 MT/Rs with Kevlar and have a year to go before they roll for real under the CJ. I've read that they are a quiet rolling tire but also have great traction... I hope to hear back from someone about an actual experience with them rather from someone with a vendor supplied set.
__________________
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #1587
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1
 
twinstickd20's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: nashville
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc
I bought 5 MT/Rs with Kevlar and have a year to go before they roll for real under the CJ. I've read that they are a quiet rolling tire but also have great traction... I hope to hear back from someone about an actual experience with them rather from someone with a vendor supplied set.
Be prepared to be spoiled with them, once you run them you will love them. They are quieter than most all terrains but yet very good off road.
__________________
My Build Threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...seven-1090289/
twinstickd20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #1588
mvigo
Web Wheeler
 
mvigo's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,327
I think you are splitting hairs between the KM2's, MT/R's and the Cooper Discoverer STT's...I love the looks of the KM2's the best but ended up with the STT's because they are made in the USA...performance wise, they have handled everything I have dished out to them...
__________________
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 04:22 AM   #1589
JnH_78CJ7
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville, North Carolina
Posts: 64
The MT/R's with Kevlar is your best bet for all around performance. Very quiet on road and a monster off road. With it's added side wall reinforcement, it can be aired down pretty low with decent stability. You will be very happy with these tires.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
[B][FONT="Book Antiqua"]"When i die bury me in my jeep because it has never been in a hole it couldnt get out of!"[/FONT][/B]
JnH_78CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #1590
Coiz
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern, IL
Posts: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Looks to me like you're ready to get that thing dirty Mike.

Hey when you put new heat shrink on the wires are they now water tight? Your bumper looks good all mounted up too. You're almost done my friend.

Both of those look like great tires Mike. Hard choice but I lean towards the KM2s. You going bigger on them than you have?
Yes Jim, the adhesive lined heat shrink does make them water proof connections.

I had originally added the extra 1.5" of lift and cut my rear fenders for the 35's but now that it is done, I think I'm going to stick with the 33's. I like the stance and don't want to sacrifice any more performance in acceleration and braking due to the added weight of the 35's. The 1" I would gain in ride height would be minimal and not worth the trade off considering it will be more on road than off for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsom5 View Post
I agree with the km2's. Got them myself. And even though my cj is no where near the quality of yours, I still get crap from the guys for not getting her dirty. It's starting to gain more mall crawler status each time I take it on the roads and to the beach.
At least you have a CJ and you're out enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I bought 5 MT/Rs with Kevlar and have a year to go before they roll for real under the CJ. I've read that they are a quiet rolling tire but also have great traction...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
Be prepared to be spoiled with them, once you run them you will love them. They are quieter than most all terrains but yet very good off road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
I think you are splitting hairs between the KM2's, MT/R's and the Cooper Discoverer STT's...I love the looks of the KM2's the best but ended up with the STT's because they are made in the USA...performance wise, they have handled everything I have dished out to them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnH_78CJ7 View Post
The MT/R's with Kevlar is your best bet for all around performance. Very quiet on road and a monster off road. With it's added side wall reinforcement, it can be aired down pretty low with decent stability. You will be very happy with these tires.
That's why I have been torn between the two. I saw a convoy of military vehicles on trailers stopped at a rest stop recently and everyone of them had brand new MT/R's installed. They looked mean with the center all-terrain section and the big beefy lugged outer tread. I figured if they used them in the military they probably tested pretty good.

The KM2's seem to get a little better feedback and ratings across the board on the internet. Mainly in that they are quieter on the street and they wear better/longer.
__________________
Mike
My build thread
1979 CJ7, FI 5.0L Ford, NP435, D300, Full floated D44 Detroit, D30 Detroit EZ Locker.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.