Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 103 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #1531
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

I was horsing around a couple days ago, hit the pavement and dumped it hard in second. *BANG* *CLUNK* *SLAM*

Uh Oh. Finally went and did it.

As I coasted over to the side of the road, all I could picture in my head was this picture:

Luckily, all I did was tear out one of my U Joint straps.

Not sure if the straps are good design or what, since it sort of acts as a predetermined failure point to keep the above for happening, but I was dead in the water. I guess I'll take breakdowns that I can solve for $8 at Carquest anyday.

ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #1532
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikEastman View Post
I was horsing around a couple days ago, hit the pavement and dumped it hard in second. *BANG* *CLUNK* *SLAM*

Uh Oh. Finally went and did it.

As I coasted over to the side of the road, all I could picture in my head was this picture:

Luckily, all I did was tear out one of my U Joint straps.

Not sure if the straps are good design or what, since it sort of acts as a predetermined failure point to keep the above for happening, but I was dead in the water. I guess I'll take breakdowns that I can solve for $8 at Carquest anyday.
No doubt you'd rather take the easy fix over the expensive ones. I've been telling myself every drive since then, easy on the clutch, easy on the clutch.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #1533
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
there is nothing better than the sound of good old american muscle!! love it, and I am listening to the "Can't You See" cover as I type...outstanding!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
That sounds pretty mean, Mike!! WOW!! No wonder you twisted that rear driveshaft!! Very, very nice!!
Thanks guys. I've been playing around with my camera and might film a drive by a little later.

I recorded a stereo demo that came out pretty good. It is hard to tell how good it sounds because the volume is subjective and dependent on your computer speakers. You can also notice how the camera's microphone is directional and picks up more of what it is pointing at rather than an overall sound. When I am adjusting the sub level in the video you can't even tell a difference on the recording but it is pretty drastic in the Jeep. I was trying to move the camera around a little bit to give those different sound perspectives. I would say right near the end around the 3:00 mark when I raise the camera up gives the best overall example of how it sounds while in the seat. I took a couple videos and once I got them on the computer found out that what sounds best to my ear at volume level 25 is too much for my camcorder microphone so it sounds like it is distorting while it really is not. So the video I posted I tried to keep it below that 25 mark which is when it is really starting to crank it out. Enjoy.

CobraJ-7 Stereo Demo; Rush-Tom Sawyer

Unread 06-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #1534
Bl4cK_kNiF3
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Thank you very much. I am up by Rockford so the chances of seeing the CJ in metro Chicago are slim to none. I do plan to drive it to Downers Grove for an Org meeting at some point during the summer to show it to my co-workers, maybe even next week. If you're ever near Rockford and want to check it out, let me know.
Oh okay, i gotcha. My grandpa lives up in Rockford and I sometimes ride dirt bikes there too. Next time I know im goin up there ill gladly take you up on that offer to check it out!
Green Jeep Club Member #360
Bl4cK_kNiF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #1535
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz

Thanks guys. I've been playing around with my camera and might film a drive by a little later.

I recorded a stereo demo that came out pretty good. It is hard to tell how good it sounds because the volume is subjective and dependent on your computer speakers. You can also notice how the camera's microphone is directional and picks up more of what it is pointing at rather than an overall sound. When I am adjusting the sub level in the video you can't even tell a difference on the recording but it is pretty drastic in the Jeep. I was trying to move the camera around a little bit to give those different sound perspectives. I would say right near the end around the 3:00 mark when I raise the camera up gives the best overall example of how it sounds while in the seat. I took a couple videos and once I got them on the computer found out that what sounds best to my ear at volume level 25 is too much for my camcorder microphone so it sounds like it is distorting while it really is not. So the video I posted I tried to keep it below that 25 mark which is when it is really starting to crank it out. Enjoy.

CobraJ-7 Stereo Demo; Rush-Tom Sawyer

I cannot tell you how cool that demo was!!

Sounded awesome through my iPad outside by the pool with my wife's music blaring! I can only imagine how it would sound driving down the road! Top notch job, Mike. Just like everything else you have done. Very impressed!

Great music choice, too! I am seeing Rush on Thursday!!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #1536
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Very impressive! I know what I want for a sound system in my CJ

I would have trouble deciding what to listen to...the engine tunes or the music

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #1537
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post

If I had that sweet Cobra engine, that decision would be an easy one!!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #1538
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I sure missed allot this weekend! Mike the engine sounds great. Your stereo does too. Hey are you gonna be one of those guys we hear coming for 10 minutes before you actually get there?

And man did you ever do a number on the driveshaft. 1350s coming soon?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #1539
witchdoctor00
1981 CJ5 

insurance

I read..many posts back, about you upgrading to 20k insurance. Do you have any advice for a good carrier or who you use? I'm having a nightmare time trying to get any kind of specialty / additional value insurance on mine.
witchdoctor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #1540
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
If I had that sweet Cobra engine, that decision would be an easy one!!!

Thanks guys, the sound system did turn out nice. As nice as it is to have that V8 under the hood, there is only so long you can listen to that rumble before you need some music to break it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I sure missed allot this weekend! Mike the engine sounds great. Your stereo does too. Hey are you gonna be one of those guys we hear coming for 10 minutes before you actually get there?

And man did you ever do a number on the driveshaft. 1350s coming soon?
Yes, you can definitely hear me coming. The radio needs the speed sensitive volume like on new cars so it will turn it up and down based on vehicle speed. At 55 you have it cranked to level ~22 to hear it good and then when you come to a stop it's trying to blow you out of the Jeep . Driving around town I am constantly having to turn it up and down. I need to add some steering wheel controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor00 View Post
I read..many posts back, about you upgrading to 20k insurance. Do you have any advice for a good carrier or who you use? I'm having a nightmare time trying to get any kind of specialty / additional value insurance on mine.
I have State Farm with my home owners and insured the CJ through them too. They originally told me they would insure it for $25K but came back a couple days later and told me they could only do it for $7k. I told them that was not acceptable and I would have to find another insurer.

So then they asked for a list of any "custom" parts that may increase the value. I sent them a list of all the "custom parts" on the Jeep and listed a general price of the parts making note that it did not include any of the labor to install said parts. They sent in my custom parts list with a couple photos to the underwriter and they came back with the $20k figure within the hour. They told me to come back once I consider it 'done' and they could reassess it higher if needed. So it is insured as a secondary/limited use vehicle with under 2500 miles a year use for $20k replacement value and my premium is ~$165 a year.
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #1541
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
So then they asked for a list of any "custom" parts that may increase the value. I sent them a list of all the "custom parts" on the Jeep and listed a general price of the parts making note that it did not include any of the labor to install said parts. They sent in my custom parts list with a couple photos to the underwriter and they came back with the $20k figure within the hour. They told me to come back once I consider it 'done' and they could reassess it higher if needed. So it is insured as a secondary/limited use vehicle with under 2500 miles a year use for $20k replacement value and my premium is ~$165 a year.
Thats the cool thing with a CJ, you can just disconnect the speedo/odo cable

Ben
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #1542
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ I won't need to do that because I probably won't go over that amount of miles. I bet I'll get close though.
Unread 06-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #1543
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Great info and a good reminder for me to get my build book up to date so I can get some decent insurance down the road. Thanks Mike.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #1544
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Winch Mount and Front Bumper Paint Prep

So I have finally made some progress on the last of the Jeep parts.

These are the last of the parts that need to be painted with POR and Blackcoat.

All the square blocks are the rear seat risers to lift the seat up three inches for some additional leg room since the normal leg room for the rear seat has been eliminated by my Scrambler bulkhead. I've also got the CJ7 emblem, the piece I made for my hood prop rod retainer and VIN plate. Also notice the heat marks on the transmission shifter, that's where I heated it with MAP gas enough to where I could tweak its' shape. In reverse it would barely contact my center console so I tweaked it to where it can no longer hit the center console but is still far enough from the dash in 1st to not cause a problem. It is actually a little easier to shift now too.

I took my DA sander with 80 grit paper and gave all of those pieces a solid once over, I didn't see the need to completely strip the existing paint off. I then cleaned them with Marine Clean and coated them with Metal Ready for 20 minutes. Here they are after being sanded, washed and dried. Also notice my rear bumper spare tire spindle cover on the far right.

Closer shot of the winch plate to see the dulled existing paint finish.

One of the welds after being cleaned and to show how the Metal Ready changes the metal's color after being soaked with it.

The bumper had already been painted with POR and Blackcoat before I added in the clevis mounts and receiver so I just wire wheeled off the loose paint from the welding heat and gave the entire piece a once over with 80 grit paper on the DA sander.

Shot of the clevis welds all cleaned and ready to paint.

A shot of the receiver gussets on the back side of the bumper.

All those pieces are now ready for two coats of POR and then another two coats of Blackcoat.
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #1545
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Winch Plate and Front Bumper Painting

I used the same set up as before with my Harbor Freight HVLP gun and compressor set on 35 psi and went to spraying the POR thinned at 10%. Here is the bottom of the winch mount with the first coat sprayed.

A shot of the bumper and other small parts.

A picture of the POR finish, Blackcoat still to come.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.