Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 05-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #1486
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal73 View Post
Mike,
It just looks awesome!
I'm having trouble typing because a fly went in my mouth while I was looking with my jaw dropped!
My wife saw it and wants to know why I don't do a build like yours on mine!
She went so far as to say yours makes mine look like crap! (As if I didn't know that!)

Jeff
Wow, that sounds a little harsh but it made me laugh. Thanks for the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes2013 View Post
Wow... just stumbled upon this 100 page resto thread. Looks like I'm going to be here a while. This is the best and most informative thread I've ever seen. You did a great job and it is very motivating to see someone to a resto like this without a fancy shop and a bottomless wallet.

edit... OK, CJ resto AND brewing in the same thread? If I could cry I'd be shedding a tear. You are my new hero...
Thank you for the comments. It is always fun to see someone use their first post to comment on my thread. Speaking of homebrew, it's about that time.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #1487
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Rear 6x9's

I eventually plan to build some custom boxes for the 6x9's to sit on the rear fenderwells which will point them more toward the front and also incorporate some sort of storage compartments but until then I am going to use the standard pyramid boxes I picked up for $20 off Amazon. I decided to paint them black.

I thought they turned out pretty good.

Another picture from the front. You can also see the sound matting that came with them. What looks like scratches on the left side of the right hand box is actually saw dust that wiped right off.

Here is the test fit of one of the boxes. I drilled a single hole through the top of the fenderwell and used a carriage bolt from the bottom. I sprayed the fresh hole and carriage bolts with paint and then Raptor the same day I sprayed the sub box. They are basically wedged into the corner so I didn't see the need to use more than one bolt. I spread out the load with some additional washers. After they were mounted I reinstalled the sound matting.

Here is a picture of the speakers that are going in the boxes, Rockford Fosgate Prime 3-way 6x9's. I got them on sale for $55 on Amazon and they match the front 5.25" dash speakers. They are 60 watt RMS and being powered by a 40 watt amp so they should sound good with minimal risk of blowing them up.

A shot of the front.

Ready for the grill cover and screws.

Final product.

Anyone sitting in the back should be able to hear the music too.
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #1488
apmonte

Nice Jeep

That's a great looking stereo install, and it it sounds great!

Got any other updates for us, Captain Driveshaft?
apmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #1489
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

As my friend Aaron has eluded to, we had a good sampling of the stereo and decided it rocks pretty good! I figured I could charge the battery and give him the first test ride of any other person in my Jeep since its' been finished. We cruised a couple blocks to the end of the neighbor hood, turned the corner and put it to the wood. With the tires barking in fear, I short shifted it around 4,000 rpm and clutched it a little too hard into third. The end result is a costly one. That driveshaft netted me 63 miles.

The ding on the muffler is the only other damage. What does Aaron think of his short ride in the CobraJ-7?

Having the twin stick on the D300 already paid for itself. I just put the rear in neutral and locked in the front hubs and axle. I drove home with the rear driveshaft hanging there. I've always known that is my weak link. I need to either step up to the 1350 joints or quit driving it like I stole it.

In the mean time I can take the slip yoke off my original driveshaft, which is like new, to get me back on the road.

I'll be staring at the windshield of my F250 for the next ten hours, I can't wait to read what's here when I get back.
Unread 05-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #1490
1983 CJ7 

Video next time, or it didn't happen
Unread 05-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #1491
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

You've gotta watch that snake it will bite ya!
jcal73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #1492
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

HOLY Crap!!! That Cobra engine is definitely for REAL!!! Glad nothing else was damaged beyond repair and you and your buddy were not hurt.

I once lost a U-joint on a truck I was driving from Phoenix to Seattle on Super Bowl Sunday in 1996. I broke down in California on the I-5 by Magic Mountain. I was with my girlfriend at the time. I ended up taking the driveshaft out, putting it in 4wd and limping a few miles to a hotel with an auto parts store close by. Good times.

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #1493
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

back to the drawing board as they say...beef it up and, since it ain't stolen, stop driving it that way! I noticed your rear bottom shock mounts are mounted like mine which I hate...I am moving my bottom shock mounts to me axle so that I stop bending/breaking that shock mount bolt on the rocks every single time I go out there...eventually you will buy some rear shock mount brackets that you can weld to the axle tube...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #1494
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

That's why we can't have nice things.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #1495
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Well it ends up I can't use the slip yoke off my original driveshaft. They are the same basic dimensions but my stock shaft is 16 spline and the one I broke is 32 spline.
Unread 05-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #1496
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Well it ends up I can't use the slip yoke off my original driveshaft. They are the same basic dimensions but my stock shaft is 16 spline and the one I broke is 32 spline.
Unread 05-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1497
benullman
1981 CJ7 

just kidding

that 5.0 got some sweet torque!
Unread 05-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #1498
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Sub Box Install

Installing the sub box was a fairly easy task. I placed it in the correct location and drilled four holes to mount into the main backing plate. You should be able to pick out the four holes. I did touch them up with paint and bed liner.

When I initially sprayed the back of the box I had put it on pretty light thinking it really didn’t matter since it couldn't be seen anyway but I decided it would be nice to have full coverage for protection from water. So here you can see where I sprayed the light areas with flat black paint. You can also see the four holes I drilled for mounting.

I went back with a can of Duplicolor spray in bed liner and touched up those same spots. It looks pretty similar and came out ok.

Here is the 4 channel amp in place on the passenger's side.

A shot of the sub amp on the driver's side.

I set the box in the Jeep and started the initial wiring on the 4 channel amp. The wires will all be taped and covered later.

This is with the box in place looking through the opening on the end. You can see how much room there is for the amplifier. I plan to make little cap pieces out of thin metal or even rubber sheeting to close that area off to make it look cleaner and protect it from water intrusion.

Plenty of room for the sub amp as well.

I simply used four carriage bolts through the back to hold it in place. I stepped up a few washer sizes to distribute the load. Also notice how I went back and sprayed the inner seams with a coating of bed liner.

Here is what it looks like from the back seat area.

A shot of the inside with a speaker installed. Looks like there is plenty of room. The interior box volume came in at ~.92 cu ft while we were hoping for 1.0 cu ft. Close enough.

A shot from the passenger's side with the seats folded forward.

Between the seats with them folded forward.

One last shot between the seats with them sitting in their normal place. I plan to go back and add the sound matting material to the inside of the enclosure and will install the speaker grills at that time. I shot the speaker grills with bed liner too so it all looks pretty good. The wiring harness along the bottom will be secured to the bottom edge of the box. That will lift it up high enough to be out of sight.

When I first turned it on and cranked it up after it was all wired I thought to myself, not bad, about what I expected for a ~$500 stereo. Then I started adjusting the crossovers and the gains on the amps. After that I thought to myself, this thing F'in rocks!

I am completely impressed and more than satisfied with the way it cranks out the tunes, especially in an open aired Jeep. If you put this into an enclosed truck cab, wow!
Unread 05-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #1499
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

When you install the little cap pieces to close off the top opening will ther be air flow for the sub amp to keep it from geting to hot?
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #1500
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
When you install the little cap pieces to close off the top opening will ther be air flow for the sub amp to keep it from geting to hot?
The bottom edges by the amps are open about an 1" and the entire side, top to bottom, between the roll bar and the body will remain open so there is probably 3-4" worth of gap there. The caps I install won't be air or water tight. I just want to make it so you can't see the amps and so water doesn't have a direct shot at them. We had it cranking for a solid 15 minutes while parked and the amps did not feel hot at that time. I'll let you know if I run into heat issues.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.