Coil that ups power to distributor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
StaticCJ7

Coil that ups power to distributor

Im deployed in Iraq right now and i have friend watching my jeep for me. He says the mechanic is having problems with it. The part he says they need, he cant find. aThis is what he wrote----"all I can tell you is its some sort of coil that ups the power to the distributor." If you guys have any idea what it could be let me know. Im kinda new to the jeep world. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 AM
incynr8
1974 CJ5 

sounds like he's incorrectly diagnosing an ignition system problem with the prescription of a performance ignition coil as a solution.

I think for anyone to assist more they'd need to know whats wrong with the Jeep symptom wise, and how it's configured engine and ignition wise.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 12:02 PM
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I agree...

The facotry ignition system, given it's working correctly, should fire the engine reasonably reliably.

Now, if you have parts that have gone bad,
And you want to UPGRADE while you are getting new parts,
Then he's probably talking about the 'TeamRush' ignition upgrade...

That would be using a better coil and module to get better ignition response!

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

post #4 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Probably just saying the coil went bad, needs new one...

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #5 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
StaticCJ7

so, say i wanted to redo the ignition system. any good ideas on what to buy? and if im planning on getting the mopar fi kit would i need anything different?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 01:18 PM
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Well the Team Rush upgrade does seem to solve nearly every shortcoming of the factory ignition system, so I'd give it a thumbs up. Ask jeephammer what he recommends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.