Clutch works but I hear a whirring when I press the clutch pedal to the floor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch works but I hear a whirring when I press the clutch pedal to the floor?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
part.changer
1976 CJ7 

Clutch works but I hear a whirring when I press the clutch pedal to the floor?

I just got a new clutch on my 76 CJ7 304-V8.

On the way home from the shop, the clutch pedal came off the knuckle on which it pivots. I think the fork came out of the transmission as well, but I pushed it back in.

Everything works fine again, but when I press the clutch hard, all the way to the floor, I hear a whirring, spinning type sound. The longer I hold it down the more intense the sound gets.

I don't mind taking the pedal assembly back apart, but what is this noise and how do I get rid of it?

part.changer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Tortured

Sounds like they didn't grease in the throw out bearing or used your old one. I'd take it back and let them know what happened to the linkage then make them fix it correctly.
Tortured is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
part.changer
1976 CJ7 

They definitely used a new throw-out bearing, and they are a very good repair shop.

The clutch did not make this noise before the pedal assembly came loose, but it does make the noise afterward. That leads me to believe it's not a matter of grease or parts.

Is there something involving the pedal assembly and/or fork which I might need to adjust?
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Tortured

New throw out bearings come with grease in them but whoever installs it should pack it with more. If it is whirring, that means something spinning is making the noise. the only whirring I have ever heard from a clutch is a throwout bearing. The reason it gets louder is, it is heating up.

If I payed for a clutch job and the linkage fell apart on the way home I woudn't be calling them reputable.
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
part.changer
1976 CJ7 

I don't know if I've been clear.

I got the clutch installed. It worked perfectly with no noises.

The pedal came loose. I put it back together, and then, after this, the whirring could be heard only when I press the pedal all the way to the floor. It does not make any such noise for about 98% of the pedal's range of motion.

It just seems like if it were the throw-out bearing and/or grease, that it would have made this noise before the pedal came apart as well as after, but it only made it after.

Is there nothing adjustable in the linkage? Could I loosen the pressure the fork is putting in because, obviously, when I press it in hard, it's putting more pressure on something.
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
84jeepcj7

When you mash the clutch pedal all you are basically doing is disengaging the transmission from the engine with the assistance of the throw out bearing, the farther you push the pedal really doesn't matter because once it disengages then it basically is just riding on the trans. shaft. Everytime I have ever heard this whirring sound, it was the throw out bearing.

I have had a pressure plate break some compression springs that lodged itself to where we couldn't shift gears but I believe that problem would be more obvious.
84jeepcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
part.changer
1976 CJ7 

Yeah, that's why it seems so odd that it only does it when I press the clutch pedal in really hard. It makes me think that I'm physically pushing something into something else. I haven't had time to get up under it yet with someone else pressing the clutch, but I'll do that soon.

I guess I also just hate to imagine that this shop didn't grease the throw out bearing sufficiently.
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
Tortured

Make sure your linkage has 1/4" of play, Then take a look at the fork and make sure it is in there correctly. Sounds like you may be over extending the fingers on the pressure plate by having the linkage adjusted too tight.
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
part.changer
1976 CJ7 

Now that sounds more like it. It just seems like the clutch is tighter, although I don't really have much reference since I only clutched about twice before the pedal popped.

How can I loosen the linkage?

I know there is a bolt that has a spring running beside it, and it seems to have one of those tensioner bolts on it (the hexagonal piece of metal about 3 inches long that has a nut on top of it, all threaded on a bolt). Should I turn this thing and loosen it up?

Thanks for all y'all's help, by the way.
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
Tortured

Yeah thats it...
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
part.changer
1976 CJ7 

Sweet. I remember twisting that thing trying to force the linkage back on its knuckle.

How good does that feel to know that I'm going to be able to get my Jeep back into good condition so quickly. It's been out of commission for a month!

Bought it...
Tank rusted through
I burned up the distributor and coil
Fuel line needed replacing
Clutch went out
Rear axle stripped through
Lock-out hubs about to break

Thanks alot.
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #12
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

careful!!

just a quick note to let you know, if your linkage was not correct, you may have over extended the throwout bearing on the transmission bearing retainer shaft, your clutch would have worked fine, but if you damaged the pressure plate fingers, you may have an issue, I had one do the same thing, and one of the newly fatigued fingers (spring) came loose and wedged between the bearing retainer and the throwout bearing, esentially turning it into a lathe!! my advise to you is inspect it the best you can, but if you can't see up in there, take it back to your mech, and have them check it out. I have had very few customers come to me with a problem that I wouldn't fix, if I had just done the work. tranny removal is straight forward, and your shop should be able to do it in under 3 hours.

Hope this helps

Tom
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #13
part.changer
1976 CJ7 

Thanks. If I still have the noise after loosening up the linkage a bit, then I will take it back to the mechanic.

I'm sure he would fix it, and he even offered to send a guy onsite to do it. But, I want to do what I can to fix it too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.